The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

14.1 MPG is probably as good as it is going to get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton said:
Autocrossing or at the track and ..............let's just skip discussing fuel mileage,ha!

I haven't really measured on the track except in gross terms. I can manage 3 25-minute sessions on a full tank, that's about it. By the end of the 3rd session, my low gas light will be on and saying I have like 10 miles left lol.

At Sears Point, mostly right handers, I was having inconsistent readings probably due to the saddle tanks. At the end of one session it showed over 3/4 full then I did a lap around the parking lot (left turns) and it shot down to under 1/2. I try to keep it over 3/4 for that reason.

On my way home from Lake Tahoe yesterday I filled up in Truckee. I drove 86 miles home and for fun decided to fill up to see what my fuel mileage was. I was going mostly downhill and was cruising around 80 mph with a couple of blasts to 100 so I wasn't trying to get good mileage. When I filled up I put in 3.3 gallons so that’s 26.06 mpg. So Ford did tell the truth about the highway mileage but left out the downhill part. :D

Sesshomurai

Nice! I used to share a cabin in Truckee years ago. Must have been a beautiful drive. Jealous!

5 DOT 0 said:
On my way home from Lake Tahoe yesterday I filled up in Truckee. I drove 86 miles home and for fun decided to fill up to see what my fuel mileage was. I was going mostly downhill and was cruising around 80 mph with a couple of blasts to 100 so I wasn't trying to get good mileage. When I filled up I put in 3.3 gallons so that’s 26.06 mpg. So Ford did tell the truth about the highway mileage but left out the downhill part. :D

I was getting 8 mpg for the first week I had the car. Now I get 12-13 driving normally. I can average 20 in 6th gear on the highway, but if I go autoxing or canyon driving (both an hour away on the highway) I can get my average for the trip back to normal.

Im driving around town and I just hit 715 miles and Im still only averaging around 13.2 to 14.2

Im going to just tell myself this mostly contributed to break in miles and not the fact I rev it up quite a bit

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
I like Ford's EPA rating on the sticker.... Saves us from paying the gas guzzler tax, thereby leaving us more money to finance the real-world mpg!!

For me: 20 mpg highway (I love west Texas speed limits) and 17.5 mixed driving on my daily commute. About 3,000 miles on her so far.

444hp and no gas guzzler tax??!! Nice work, Ford!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
302BOB said:
Roketman is right. We didn't buy our Bosses for gas mileage. If I ever start worrying about fuel efficiency, I'll drive my wife's Corolla.
I don't even look at it that field is always on blank. Just check it here and there too make sure it didn't take a nose dive. That would be a clue that something is amiss

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel