The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

18" Hoosier Sizes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have to agree on the Toyo RA1s, and it is sad they don't make them in an appropriate size. Found on super warm days they not only outlasted the Hoosiers , they took alot longer to get greasy. Keep in mind the 888s were notoriously hated by World Challenge and Spec Miata classes and only lasted about a year in each Series. Listen to Cloud, as the Nittos seem to be the next step down from an R6, but folks do seem to be rocking better than the triple 8s -- though some have said Toyo did some work on them to get a better rep.

I know I will follow Gary's lead and get some Nittos to go along with the Hoosiers , but do let us know about the Toyos.

I will agree, very disappointed with the Pirellis -- seems like 4-5 laps and they just go away.

Ran 3 days on R888s at Summit Point. Certainly a lot more grip than my Yoko AD-08s but I would expect that. Actually found them quite good until they got hot (about 20 minutes on track). When hot they started to get noticably greasy and I had to back off for a few corners to get the grip back. I also drove the car to track on the R888s and they are hideously noisy on the highway. Wear rate on them looks excellent after 3 track days so it may be a while before I wear them out and switch to Nittos!

At any rate they had enough grip to blow by a good number of GT3s and Turbos. Will post a couple of vids. One of them I followed around my friend Paul in his modded '99 SVT Cobra to get him on video. In the process we wound up getting a cheering section from some spectators in the stands and we passed several P cars on each lap. Guess they were Porsche haters...lol.

Also SVT Cobra Club was at the Shenandoah Circuit next the main track at Summit. They had 5 Boss 302's there including a Race Red 2013 owned by club president Tony.

F.D. Sako said:
how did you like the wheels?
did you experience any tire rubbing?
Wheels are great...no rubbing and lots of compliments on how they look. Only problem is I lost ALL my front wheel weights even though they were double metal duct taped. My tire guy was also the sponsor of the event dinner and he agreed to rebalance them at no charge. This time I ordered 600 degree super high temp metal "flu" tape and will see if the will keep the weights on.

I'm still an "evaluator" so I have not paid for the wheels yet. However, I can say I really like them so far. I'll let you know as soon as I find out what the price will be.

ChuckP said:
Ran 3 days on R888s at Summit Point. Certainly a lot more grip than my Yoko AD-08s but I would expect that. Actually found them quite good until they got hot (about 20 minutes on track). When hot they started to get noticably greasy and I had to back off for a few corners to get the grip back. I also drove the car to track on the R888s and they are hideously noisy on the highway. Wear rate on them looks excellent after 3 track days so it may be a while before I wear them out and switch to Nittos!

At any rate they had enough grip to blow by a good number of GT3s and Turbos. Will post a couple of vids. One of them I followed around my friend Paul in his modded '99 SVT Cobra to get him on video. In the process we wound up getting a cheering section from some spectators in the stands and we passed several P cars on each lap. Guess they were Porsche haters...lol.

Also SVT Cobra Club was at the Shenandoah Circuit next the main track at Summit. They had 5 Boss 302's there including a Race Red 2013 owned by club president Tony.
Nice to hear you were able to ruffle some P-car feathers ;D. Sounds like the R888s were working good for you. I was impressed with their durability.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ChuckP said:
F.D. Sako said:
how did you like the wheels?
did you experience any tire rubbing?
Wheels are great...no rubbing and lots of compliments on how they look. Only problem is I lost ALL my front wheel weights even though they were double metal duct taped. My tire guy was also the sponsor of the event dinner and he agreed to rebalance them at no charge. This time I ordered 600 degree super high temp metal "flu" tape and will see if the will keep the weights on.

I'm still an "evaluator" so I have not paid for the wheels yet. However, I can say I really like them so far. I'll let you know as soon as I find out what the price will be.

Try these wheel weights from Perfect Equipment plus some high temp metal foil tape (I use NASHUA 330X). They use a different adhesive system than the normal 3M foam backing that shops usually carry. Hasn't failed me yet, if the wheel is cleaned properly before installation these will not come off. They are actually a PITA to get off when you need to have new rubber mounted and the wheel rebalanced !

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PWT0/100360/N2295.oap?ck=Search_wheel+weights_N2295_-1_-1&keyword=wheel+weights&pt=N2295&ppt=C1982

http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=512&setscreen=1&width=1264&height=0

Chuck, any more info or feedback on the wheels? Are they available for order?

5 DOT 0 said:
Chuck, any more info or feedback on the wheels? Are they available for order?
I love the wheels...they work great with 305x35 R888s in the back and 275x40 in the front...I'm sure they would really rock with Nittos or Hoosiers. Only problem I have found is I cannot keep front wheel weights on. After losing them the first time, the shop rebalanced them at no charge. I then over taped them with 600 degree metal hi temp tape. The fronts came off after 2 sessions. Odd thing is I have run several track days on my FRP Laguna Seca like wheels and have not lost a single weight. I'm wondering if the finish Team Dynamics has on wheels has something to do with it. I'm thinking of roughing up the surface a bit before the new weights go on. I think they look great, they fit great, they are extremely strong and will built. I'm just puzzled about the wheel weight issue. I have not tried the special high temp weights yet and have asked my shop to order some. I have not paid for them yet either but I think the wheels will come in under $300 each. I should have a price next week.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel