The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

18" Hoosier Sizes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My local tire dealer just received the first shipment of 18x10 wheels specifically made for the Mustang (especially Boss 302). They are made by Team Dynamics in the UK who makes the spec wheels for the British Touring Cup series. The intent is to run the same size wheel all around and either a square or staggered tire setup. He would like me to evaluate them with no obligation if I don't won't want to keep them. Sounds like a fair deal to me. Now I need to decide what tires to put on them. He is a dealer for Toyo, Nitto, Michelin, Hoosier and several others. When picking tire sizes I like to keep the revs per mile as close as possible (within 3%) to the OEM tires and also fairly close front to back. With ABS and AdvanceTrak I don't want to confuse the computer too much or throw the speedometer reading way off. He is a high volume Toyo dealer and is suggesting R888s, 305x30 and 275x40. Those sizes match OEM revs per mile almost spot on (about 1%). Nitto 555RIIs (in the only 2 sizes available) are not as close in revs per mile but close enough. However, if I want to go with Hoosier R6s the only size suitable for a 10" wheel that comes close in revs per per mile is 295x40. Not sure if I would want to run a totally square wheel and tire setup. Makes it nice that tires can be rotated front to rear, but not sure if that would make the car too "tail happy".

I'm open to comments and suggestions. Thanks!

Do you have any more info or photos of the wheels?

I know which tires Gary and Pete will recommend. :D

The 295s square on the stock suspension will want to make you spin like a Pors-; I mean top. You'd need to swap to a stiffer front sway bar or softer rear. I've run all 3 of those tires and the R888s were by far the slowest, but also the most durable...by a long ways. I ran R6s in 295/30/19 and 265/35/19 last year and they were virtually the same lap times as the Nitto 555RIIs in 305/35/18 and 285/35/18. The Nittos lasted a little longer and are a little less expensive. I just bought a new set that I'll be running on the new suspension at BIR this weekend. I'm also looking at a set of used R6s in 295/30/18 & 275/35/18. I plan to run those next.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I'm not a fan of the R888.

The R6 is offered in a 295x30 and a 295x40. The second option is much closer to OEM rolling diameter. Both are pretty darn popular sizes, so if you NEED them, start looking now.

The R6 is also offered in a 275x35 which is what the 302 runs in Continental Tire series. The compound Hoosier makes for Continental is slightly harder for endurance racing, with excellent wear and good heat resistance. I think these are too short... but it obviously worked for last year's winner. They do look REALLY goofy on an OEM height car.

JScheier said:
I'm not a fan of the R888.

The R6 is offered in a 295x30 and a 295x40. The second option is much closer to OEM rolling diameter. Both are pretty darn popular sizes, so if you NEED them, start looking now.

The R6 is also offered in a 275x35 which is what the 302 runs in Continental Tire series. The compound Hoosier makes for Continental is slightly harder for endurance racing, with excellent wear and good heat resistance. I think these are too short... but it obviously worked for last year's winner. They do look REALLY goofy on an OEM height car.
LOL they are a little small on OEM but they were R6s 295/30/19 & 265/35/19....18s would be REALLY goofy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's the Conti 18s on a lowered Boss:

racing2012338.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2012-06-16

Good input guys. Looks like I'm going to lean toward the Nittos. I run both Toyo RA-1s and Hoosiers on my Porsche. RA-1s are within a second or two a lap of the Hoosiers but last at least 4 times longer. Hoosiers tend to lose grip after several heat cycles even when they have plenty of rubber left. But they sure stick like crazy up to that point! So basically I use RA-1s for HPDE and Hoosiers for Club Races (and use up the overcooked remnants at HPDE where they are SLOWER than RA-1s). Unshaved RA-1s are also my race rain tires. However, it appears the R888 is clearly a step backwards from the RA-1. Too bad I can't get RA-1s to fit the Boss.

Thanks again for the feedback.

5 DOT 0 said:
Do you have any more info or photos of the wheels?

I know which tires Gary and Pete will recommend. :D
Very little info other than they were specifically designed as a reasonably priced, very strong, track wheel for late model Mustangs. I'll be trying out one of the first 12 sets of wheels manufactured. I'll post some pics and more info when I have it. I do know they are black. Here is the company web site for now:
http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/competition_wheels.htm

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Alot of guys in Spec Miata were running these rims ( obviously smaller ), so it will be interesting to see what they come priced at. I was running Enkeis with my Miata, and have them, on the Boss, but this manufacturer does seem to pay attention to the track rat market.

Keep us posted and , yes, pictures would be helpful.

My new Team Dynamics Track Wheels!

All 4 same size, 18x10. They are about 4 lbs. heavier than the Enkeis but TD claims they are "extraordinarily" strong. They are especially made for late model Mustangs, especially the Boss 302. I have one of the first 12 sets in the USA. Would have preferred Nitto's but my wheel/tire guy (Radial Tire, Silver Spring, MD) is one of Toyo's largest volume dealers and gave me a huge deal on the R888s he had in stock. He's also a very high volume Hoosier dealer so that may be my next tire choice. I'm running 275x40 front and 305x35 rear which happens to give the almost the exact diameters front and rear (revs per mile) as the factory Pirellis. Don't have a price yet on the wheels as I have not paid for them yet! I'll find that out next week. Track testing at Summit Point next weekend.
100_4874.jpg
100_4872.jpg
100_4875.jpg

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Why no 305s at all four corners? They look like they fit really well on the 18x10s.

I'll show you mine as soon as I can get it all installed ;)

Anxious to hear how the R888s do for you Chuck. I used to run them a lot on my GT500, but I found the set I tried on the Boss to be considerably slower than other r-comps I've been using. What other tires have you run on the Boss for comparison?

JScheier said:
Why no 305s at all four corners? They look like they fit really well on the 18x10s.

Thought about running "square" as that would allow me to rotate tires F/R. However, I agreed with Cloud9 that running square with stock swaybars, springs etc. would probably be oversteer city. I run 245x45-16s all around on the Porsche but with 8" front wheels and 9" rears along with swaybars and springs to accomodate that. Car is very neutral and will even understeer a bit if I set the rear bar too soft.

cloud9 said:
Anxious to hear how the R888s do for you Chuck. I used to run them a lot on my GT500, but I found the set I tried on the Boss to be considerably slower than other r-comps I've been using. What other tires have you run on the Boss for comparison?
Only tires I've run on the Boss are the factory Pirellis (they suck) and Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s which is their highest performance non-R compound tire. I LOVE the Yokos for a compromise street/track tire and highly recommend them to anyone who wants a tire they can keep on the car all the the time and use at the track a few times a year. They are quiet, ride great, don't scare you in the rain and have amazing stick on the track for a street tire. I have almost 6000 miles and 10 track days on mine and they still look GREAT.

I've had my Porsche since 1990 so you can imagine how many different tires I run on it. I used to love the old BFG Comp/TA R1 tires back in the 90's. Have not tried the latest BFGs yet. When I could no longer get my beloved R1s I tried Kumhos. Yokos and some others but none were as good as the old R1s. Then I tried Hoosiers and all I could say was WOW until I realized the extremely limited life they had. The early Hoosiers would lose all stick after about 12 or 14 heat cycles. The R6s are better than the older versions but still will run out of stick before they run out of rubber. But they are the fastest tires short of full race slicks when before they get "cooked". I then found the Toyo RA-1. It has about 90% of the performance of Hoosier and about 500% of the life. You can run them until they are showing cord and they still work. So the RA-1 became my HPDE and practice session tire and Hoosier my qualifying and race tire.

I wish the RA-1 was available in an appropriate size for the Boss but it's not. I suspect the R888 will be better (it better be!) than my Yoko AD08s on track so it's a step in the right direction. When the R888s are gone I may try a set of Nittos and see how they compare. I'll let you know how I like then R888s after 3 days at Summit Point.

You'll certainly get more grip out of the R888s than the Yokos. Give the Nittos a try after you burn up the R888s and let us know what you think. I've found the 555RIIs are great and for me about 3 seconds faster on average than the R888s on 2.2-3 mile tracks. In fact, the 555RIIs in 305/285 are nearly as fast as R6s in 295/265 but last longer. I'd like to run the NT01s too if they came in better sizes.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
JScheier said:

FWIW, I got the 305/645/18s installed last night and, on the OEM Boss 302 suspension and Vorshlag 18x10 D-Force wheels, they fit and clear everything without issue.

I'd upload photos... but the site keeps telling me the upload folder is full :(

JScheier said:
JScheier said:

FWIW, I got the 305/645/18s installed last night and, on the OEM Boss 302 suspension and Vorshlag 18x10 D-Force wheels, they fit and clear everything without issue.

I'd upload photos... but the site keeps telling me the upload folder is full :(
Nice. Is that a Hoosier or Conti slick? You need to use a remote photo site like Photobucket or Imageshack to post photos. Use the "forum code" to paste into your thread.

TMO Supporting Vendors