The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

18 X 11 tire options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
So, I've been considering the purchase of some 18 X 11 Apex wheels to give me a better and cheaper tire package for tracking my car next season. But when I look at the options for tires in a comp or 200TW, I don't see a lot of good choices. I was planning on RE71R's but they don't make a 305/30/18. GYF1 Supercar 3 only goes to 275's and MSC2's stop at 295.

Maybe I'm limiting my size based on a 19" wheel, since I know those work. I see section width and tread width are both narrower in the 18 specs. Should I be stepping up to a 325 or 35 aspect ratio to give me more options?

What, besides used slicks are you finding as a go to track tire for an 18x11 wheel?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
So, I've been considering the purchase of some 18 X 11 Apex wheels to give me a better and cheaper tire package for tracking my car next season. But when I look at the options for tires in a comp or 200TW, I don't see a lot of good choices. I was planning on RE71R's but they don't make a 305/30/18. GYF1 Supercar 3 only goes to 275's and MSC2's stop at 295.

Maybe I'm limiting my size based on a 19" wheel, since I know those work. I see section width and tread width are both narrower in the 18 specs. Should I be stepping up to a 325 or 35 aspect ratio to give me more options?

What, besides used slicks are you finding as a go to track tire for an 18x11 wheel?
Just replied to your post on the APEX Labor Day sale thread. 315/30-18 is going to have a similar tread & section width to the 305/30-19 options. The main options for 315/30-18 200tw are Rival S 1.5, A052 and soon the Falken RT660. I’m currently running the Rival S 1.5, and like that I can get it in both 305/30-19 and 315/30-18, which I can use for a simple gearing change for different tracks. I have a brand new set of APEX 18x11’s, and was hoping to make the switch to the Falkens to compare wear and hopefully save quite a bit per set. They’re still 4 weeks out though, so it looks like I’ll be going with the Rivals again for now. (which is a great tire)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
Thanks for the reply.

I also noticed the Nitto NT-01's as having both a 305 & 315(35 Aspect ratio) that would work, but they are a TW100 which wouldn't have the longevity of the Bridgestone. And the NT-05's only have 2 tires that would work in a 295, both being a 35 aspect ratio but not nearly the tread width.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The Bridgestone is really a super hot Autocross tire, and that is also it's issue with road course use --- it will get hot pretty quick , but then it will get greasy. The A052 heats up even quicker and it also does not seem to be the tire for the track ,though a killer for autocross ( if you are not co-driving ). The Rival 1.5S seems to take a bit longer to get toasty on track and it still seems to be the big choice for many CAM C drivers ( who often run Stangs ) and the option on the Falken 660 may be a sleeper. The advance info seems to indicate it won't quite be a quick as the RE71s, AO52s, or Rival S 1.5s, but it may be a trick for the track lasting a bit longer and taking longer before getting slippery. But.............the new bigger sizes are not out yet. 2021 could be a good year for many choices.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
What are your goals? Will you be changing tires at the track, or driving to the track on them (and how far)? Are you concerned about wet weather / standing water? What type of track days do you do, and how hard do you drive (what brake pads are you using)? Recommendations could be anything from the Hoosier R7 in 315/30-18 to a combo street/track tire in 295 to 315 width. Also, TireRack has a lot of "trackish" tires in those sizes on backorder right now, can you wait until winter/spring for better stock?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
What are your goals? Will you be changing tires at the track, or driving to the track on them (and how far)? Are you concerned about wet weather / standing water? What type of track days do you do, and how hard do you drive (what brake pads are you using)? Recommendations could be anything from the Hoosier R7 in 315/30-18 to a combo street/track tire in 295 to 315 width. Also, TireRack has a lot of "trackish" tires in those sizes on backorder right now, can you wait until winter/spring for better stock?
I'm planning ahead for next season. The car is mostly track driven, with very limited street driving. I will be focusing on Road America, Autobahn and BHF as my tracks that will see the most seat time. I'm still relatively new to HPDE and will not likely be running in advanced groups. That would take another year or so of seat time to get comfortable with the car and see just how far I can take a 2018 GT. Haven't decided if I want to move from the stock magneride to coilovers or not yet.
I'll either be trailering or driving on dedicated street tires Hankook RS-4's that I will also use as a rain tire. Want to run a square rotatable setup.

So far, still on a stock PP brake pad which needs to be addressed in the offseason. Not that they are bad, but I think there are better options ... G-Loc comes to mind, # depending on the track I'm at.

I have and did run older RE71's recently at Blawkhawk Farms on Apex 19X11's and they seemed to be sufficient. I ran MSC2's at Road America in July and felt they lost some grip as the temps rose. I've read good things about the GY F1 Supercar 3 in the 19" size, but I know that 18's will open up the door to used slicks, so that is the main reason for going this route. I also need more rear bar as I can't seem to get the car to rotate the way I feel it should. The stock PP2 rear bar is 34mm but it has understeer, so I'll be working on that this winter.

Very simple.
A052 is a great tire 200tw.
Way faster and last longer than re71. Also morr consistent
If you are looking for good waring more than timing then NITTO NT01 is a good tire. Probably the one that last longer but not the fastest.
3R are only 19
18x11 offers you many options for take off slicks. And hoosier A7 or R7.

Never ever buy NT05. Ever. Like ever ever.
(Did i say never?)
My personal standing for speed :
1. 3R
2. A052
3. Cup2
4. Re71
5. Nitto nt01

Wearing
1. Nt01
2. A052
3. Re71
4. 3R and cup2

Hope it helps.
Alex

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The Solo Nationals were not held this year due to Covid , but fortunately the Nebraska Region is still using the site extensively for our Region events. This is a concrete surface since it is part of the Lincoln Municipal airport and very grippy. The reason I am bringing this into play , is even before the A052 became a hot ticket I suggested to some friends and even some folks here that it could be the sleeper 200 TWR tire out there, but I made the comment too early. SCCA banned the tire as having too little tread and then the folks at Yokohama got aggressive like they did a couple of decades back, put more tread into the rubber donut and bingo they came up with the newest competitor in the hot 200 Tread Wear Rated market, which is focused a bit more on auto crossing. I was glad to see Flyhalf state he was running them, but honestly the jury seems to be out a bit on road course use. Our SCCA Region has a ton of National Champions ( auto crossing ) and many have gone to the A052s, and their complaint is they wear quite fast and will overheat with two drivers ---- need to be sprayed down. Not uncommon for some of the other tires running , but something that one should be aware of. I am really hoping we get more road racers to discuss the A052 as tire competition is wonderful for all of us ( it actually keeps prices down with an expensive product). I bring this up as the only guy I knew running the A052s has switched back because he went through a set in one weekend. But this could be the track he runs as I did not ask him about the surface or tire wear. Surprisingly I want the A052 to be another standout besides on the Autocross track where it may have been the new standard ( over the RE71s) had the event run this year, so if you are running them on a road course please contribute and also list the tracks you run.This is super key because considering some of the tracks I run one track will get me 4-5 weekends on the BFG gforce R1Ss I run ( won't be next year since the 315 is apparently being discontinued ) whereas another will barely make two. Surface, age , compostion, speed, design, all effect tire wear and whereas one tire may wear decent at your track , it may disappear like butter at another.

Autobahn , for instance , is pretty easy on tires , and can not comment on Road America at present as have not been there in the last decade -- when I was there it was decent on tires , but Hell on brakes, ha. Blackhawk years back was terrible on tires , but it has been repaved since and not sure on it either. Hopefully folks will drop comments on the tracks they run and especially on the ones you are going to.

This is not to say anyone is right or wrong, just that more information may be needed for you, though I will have to agree that Hoosier is the benchmark, having run R7s for years and only recently switched for a bit more usage and less money with the BFGs. Another option is the Toyo RRs which is the Spec Tire for a lot or classes in NASA, is about the same grip as the BFGs , and seems to be consistent for the long runs, and less money. Your idea to get used Pirellis or Michelins is solid as they will beat everything listed at almost every track I have run, but supply has been down ( until now ) because the racing series were delayed for so long.

Plenty of choices and Tire Rack is a solid link for this site , it helps out the Forum a bit when ordering there, and they will virtually have all your key choices ( and yes you have many ), so keep us posted on your decision and I sent you an email.

PS - if you have run A052s on a road course please contribute your thoughts as Flyhalf has had super luck , but the data is low for track rats ---- it is extensive for autocrossers and it could be the new benchmark.

I think what Bill said is right.
My experience with A052 os limited to 1 set.
295/35/18
Those pics show tires with 4 full days.
The tires got rotated everytime.
Buttonwillow and thunderhill were the tracks
Ok asphault.
295 is also not the biggest option. I think a 315 will be better.
But for me it has been a good experience for wearing.
I might try a new set maybe in the future.
I'll report it

20200210_094458.jpg

IMG-20200723-WA0016.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Man, thanks for the extra effort Flyhalf, and not bad as one can see they have more life in them. Thanks for the report on the tracks as I often tell folks one question they should ask on the tracks they run is whether is it easy or hard on tires? Find someone who frequents the tracks you want to run and find out if they are easy or hard on tires -- if you don't know. If one already knows then the choice of tire might come down to wear and ability to absorb heat on a coarse track?

PS - the reason Flyhalf told folks to never, ever, ever use the NT05 Shitto is because it is a drag radial tire, and she don't like to go slideways! Well actually that is what will happen , slip sliding away!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
Lots of really great feedback here guys. Really appreciate the comments and direction. As I said before, I did autocross with an SVO in the early 90's, but the weigh of these S550's with the extra HP adds some challenges I wasn't accustomed to years ago. Getting this car to rotate has been a challenge.

In the end, I really think the 18's are a good option for me. If nothing else, it gives me the opportunity to move into slicks when I'm comfortable. I know Kenny Brown believes mastering a setup before moving to slicks because he claims they change your whole setup.

I just love the knowledge in this forum and the willingness and grace that people share technical information. Its quite humbling for an old guy that thinks I can still go fast. :rolleyes: 😄

I really believe that the tire selection is related to what youbare doung with the car
For my personal experience (which is still limited ) there is a tire for every single need. But not for all together. Can't be the fastest the best wearing the best consistency.

You want to learn the limit of your car and yourself? Nt01 is great for it. Consistent and great wearing. Predictable and gradual at the limit. Not fast tho.

Fast lap and consistent during session? 3R. But wear in 3 days.

Good lap speed nice (not the best) wearing and nice pace? A052

Attached a nice lap in THILL. It was with a completely new setup. New suspension new sway bars. Zero knowledge of this setup. My fast lap on A052 was lap5. (Third time at that track overall).
(For comparison Now the car is at 1.55 with 100f. On 3R and aero and dial in suspensions)
So I really believe they are a nice compromise.
Really hope tomdomsome back to back comparison with 3R

Screenshot_20200907-094144.png

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
You want to learn the limit of your car and yourself? Nt01 is great for it. Consistent and great wearing. Predictable and gradual at the limit. Not fast tho.
And that's why I asked the OP a bunch of questions about the goals. Given the answers, I'm leaning toward recommending a moderate-grip, long-lasting tire, especially since they're maybe just at the edge of factory brake pads now. NT01, Hankook RS-4, Falken Azenis, something like that. A tire that you can pound lap after lap in a session with no fall-off. Preferably 305 or 315, but a 295 might not be too much worse. Could be that the lower grip of a 295, combined with the better support it would have on an 18x11, would be an ideal "training" tire. As grip goes up, so does the speed before you "lose it" and the further you'll travel in the runoff. Also, in general, the grippier a tire is, the less forgiving they are at the limit. And grippy tires will cover a lot of driving sins. Learn on crappy tires, and you'll be fast on good ones.

I also need more rear bar as I can't seem to get the car to rotate the way I feel it should. The stock PP2 rear bar is 34mm but it has understeer, so I'll be working on that this winter.
This is the wrong approach to get what you're looking for. These cars do not need more rear bar, as that just limits the effectiveness of the torsen diff.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You can run a 315/30-18 Hoosier on an APEX 18x11 without any issues. My go-to setup prior to Michelins (where I ran a 30/65-18 on 18x11).

TMO Supporting Vendors