The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

18mm or 20mm rear sway bar users

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant, you might want to just go ahead and buy the poly bushings anyways; it's an inexpensive and quick way to add a little more stiffness to your setup if you want it. You can fine-tune a bit more by switching back and forth.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
That's *exactly* what I was thinking, Drew. The bushings are already on their way too, I was just wondering who is using them or if anybody had any reasons *not* to use them.

I was thinking to use the center mounts since they are mostly rotating there and leaving the ends rubber at first.

With all the 18 and 20mm bars that were bought here last year, I thought somebody would have gotten the poly too.

Just now joining the 18mm sway bar band wagon. I'm sure I'll switch to poly once I confirm I like the changes.

I think poly is the way to go, it makes the bar changes actual "bar" changes and not a "rubber iso" change.
and don't forget that you can dump the rear bar completely depending on the track.

blacksheep-1 said:
I think poly is the way to go, it makes the bar changes actual "bar" changes and not a "rubber iso" change.
and don't forget that you can dump the rear bar completely depending on the track.

Getting rid of the rear sway bar would require all the other aspects of the suspension be configured around that.
A car can be balanced with or without a rear sway bar depending on many things such as how much rear aero or grip you have. But once its configured with a sway bar, you shouldn't just remove it.

The entire setup has to be considered. For example, if I ditched my rear swaybar I would turn my car into a bulldozer. That's because I have a 747 wing on back and 315's of the grippiest slick available.

Sure, a "loose" suspension can seem grippier at lower speeds, but you will need a rear swaybar to truly manage tire slip angles (in a heavy car) going 10/10's in my opinion.

In terms of track variance, its easier for me to alter my line or driving style (for that track) to how the car behaves than shuffling suspension components on or off. I will, however, adjust dampers or move swaybar notch points if truly necessary.

As Sarkis points out, if you have a high rear spring rate you can "get away" without a sway bar in some cases, but then you are putting the lateral load on the springs and they are not designed for that.

Tulsa, OK
F.D. Sako is correct.

I ditched my rear bar with H&R race springs, Koni yellows, and stock GT front bar on a square tire setup. This is very basic suspension setup and it works great for me after playing with the shock settings a little bit. My lap times are faster without the rear bar. It may not be for everyone but I like how soft/grippy my car is coming out of a corner.

Thread derail...sorry

We routinely go from the 18mm rear bar to no bar and back again depending on the track. We used to kid Roush about using "piano wire" for a rear sway bar.

Reviving this one, anyone know where to find an 18mm rear sway? Can’t seem to locate. Running stiff springs (coilovers) and am lifting the rear tires on corner exit (destroying my tears). Need to allow the backend to flex a bit more.

Reviving this one, anyone know where to find an 18mm rear sway? Can’t seem to locate. Running stiff springs (coilovers) and am lifting the rear tires on corner exit (destroying my tears). Need to allow the backend to flex a bit more.

what's the rate, the rear springs we use ..as I recall..were under 400lbs

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think the sources of the 18mm take-off bars dried up a while back. I'd try a WTB ad in the classifieds or get the thin bar from CorteX. I don't know the details on that bar, but that's where I'd look first.

Might be able to find them on junkyard V6 ('verts?) too. I think '11 to '14 but not sure on that.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel