The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 18x10 Wheel Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Patuxent River, MD
Hey everyone, I'm new to the track scene. Planning on my first ever HPDE this year. Wanted to ask about wheels since it seems that all the S197 threads are outdated. My car is currently running on a staggered 255R19 and 285R19 setup, which does not seem ideal for the track from what I'm reading.

What are the best options for an 18x10 square setup? I was interested in the Vorshlag D-Force and Forgestar setups, but now that they have stopped selling wheels what other options are out there? Can't find any Apex ET43 wheels either.

Is it worth thinking about a wider wheel? My car has the standard 14 inch Brembos and is lowered on the Vorshlag Streetpro Bilsteins with their camber plates. I just don't want to have to cut anything for them to fit. Also would love to meet up with any East Coast members as I'm located in Maryland. Thanks!

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Apex 18x10 looks like they are in stock

18x11 fit in the rear
18x11 in the front takes some work

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You will get a large number of suggestions from members to go with an 18x11 wheel from Apex, Forgeline , etc. Sure you will need long ARP studs, a 25mm front spacer, but the number one thing to go faster on track is rubber -- and the wider you can go the more meat you have on the pavement. This not only will help you corner better , it is also beneficial for getting power down or stopping your Mustang. Check with Corey at Apex and post up your beast on the " Build Thread." It is highly read and it will also help to introduce you to folks in Maryland and nearby.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Hey everyone, I'm new to the track scene. Planning on my first ever HPDE this year. Wanted to ask about wheels since it seems that all the S197 threads are outdated. My car is currently running on a staggered 255R19 and 285R19 setup, which does not seem ideal for the track from what I'm reading.

What are the best options for an 18x10 square setup? I was interested in the Vorshlag D-Force and Forgestar setups, but now that they have stopped selling wheels what other options are out there? Can't find any Apex ET43 wheels either.

Is it worth thinking about a wider wheel? My car has the standard 14 inch Brembos and is lowered on the Vorshlag Streetpro Bilsteins with their camber plates. I just don't want to have to cut anything for them to fit. Also would love to meet up with any East Coast members as I'm located in Maryland. Thanks!
Hello there! I'm in Hanover near BWI so it doesn't seem like I'm too far from you.

I saw a local set of 18x10 Apex wheels on FB marketplace but cant seem to find them anymore. Will be on the lookout to see if I come across anything.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I raced on 18x10 sve drifts for several years. Worked well with 295/30-18 semis and slicks. But if I had to do it again.. would have been better off getting 18x11 apex wheels from the start.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland

18x10s with a 285/40/18 will fit well on all 4 corners but tire choice is almost non existent. I choose to use 285/35/19 setup on 19x10 all the way around. Tire choice is pretty strong with that size.
I am also in Maryland just toward the north western part but always try and make it to summit point twice a year and dominion raceway in Virginia once or twice as well.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If you become a Track Rat, anything narrower than an 11" wheel won't work. Do you want to do it twice?

Suggest you have the first event and see if this is for you. Run the narrower (Current/Cheaper) solutions for now and see if you want to spend more to enjoy the sport. If you catch the fever, like most here have, THEN spend the money. This will also allow you time to find a better deal on parts and work, assuming you will be paying a mechanic.

Have you seen any of the threads on prep for track events? The common theme is Safety first, change/upgrade brake fluid and pads, ensure your car has no mechanical issues, get a good helmet and find a solid instructor/training program. NASA, SCCA, PCA, Just Track-it, Chin and a host of others run solid programs. Then get on track to ensure this is for you. Improve your skills to the point you can't do much better without changes to the car. The wheels and tires may be needed after your first weekend, maybe not. Go slow and deliberate when spending. I have sold one set of smaller wheels and have a second that I don't use. Why?? I took an incremental approach to wheel and tire mods. An expensive Mistake. If you are going big......go big. A set of 18-11's is where most folks have landed. They will fit inside the wheel wells with studs, spacers, plates and a good alignment.

I was hesitant to spend the money for a big wheel/tire setup when moving out of a street/stock class for autocross. Picked up a cheap set of 18x10 AMR wheels and ran them with a take-off square 285 Falken RT660 setup and the car was noticeably faster and had higher limits. Scored a deal on a set of used Apex 18x11s on TMO and paired them with new 315 Falken Rt660's and the transformation was simply amazing. These aren't light cars and they like a lot of rubber

With the suspension setup at stockish ride height I put together the car needed the following modifications to clear 18x11's with 315 Falken's (which run a little wide):

Front: FRPP front hubs with ARP extended studs, Apex 25mm spacers, Ford performance Lug nuts, ~-2.1 degrees camber at ride height close to a stock Boss 302 (tire sticks out past fender but doesn't contact due to ride height)

Rear: stock boss 302 springs/ride height, Vorschlag bumpstop relocation kit, removed rear bump stop brackets on frame rails, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar to center the axle

I've got quite a few other mods/tweaks to the car, but I'm pretty sure that's all it will take to stuff fat tires under a S197. Keep an eye on eBay for cheap sets of 11 inch wide SVE wheels as a cheaper alternative if you aren't fully committed to motorsports or doing extensive track time. I've heard they make an OK wheel, although the APEX stuff is top notch and worth the money in my experience

Best,
J

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
yeah, she was a great cat. shop cat will be missed. always hung out with me when i worked on the car

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Anchorage, Alaska
If you want to go 18x10 the Apex +40 offset will work just fine. I’m currently running a 295/40/18 which are pinched, but with -2° camber in the front and a center rear axle I have zero rub issues. However I’d recommend what others are saying and just go to an 18x11, buy the FP hubs with ARP studs and run a spacer up front. I’m doing this for this year and now I’ve got an extra set of wheels I don’t really need.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
The 18x10" ET43 is an older version of the current 18x10" ET40 wheel with better fitment that's available in both the SM-10 and EC-7 designs. In stock now for both! We also just launched a Group Buy on the SM-10 version if you follow the link in my signature (click on the picture).

Lots of owners are running 18x11" all around, and it works great, but the 10" wide setups still perform at a high level and do have a slightly lower running cost to them. Can't go wrong with either setup. An added bonus if you buy new is every wheel we sell comes with the 2yr 50% replacement program should there be any damage to it on the street/track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Any reason you need the ET43's instead of the ET40's? I'm running the ET43 18x10 silver EC-7s with a 3mm spacer in the front. With the ET40's I probably wouldn't need a spacer at all.

I'm running the Falken RT615K+ tires in 295/40-18 square. I was not looking to sell my ET43's but if I get a good enough price towards a set of new ET40's I'll consider it. And that's assuming I could get a new set quickly. I'm in the Philly area so I could probably meet somewhere in between. Sometimes I go to Conowingo Dam to take pics of the eagles so that's a convenient location too. I'm also guessing that you'll be going to NJMP or Pocono for HPDE so perhaps I'll see you there.

Since this will be your first HPDE, Hooked on Driving will be at NJMP-Thunderbolt in early April and offer in car instructors for the entire day for beginners. I also highly recommend you get track insurance. For a 2014 Mustang it will probably be around $150-$175 per event.

I also recommend you build a vehicle profile so we know more about your car. It often helps us when we recommend something.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel