The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

19" wheel width with 275s???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i dug back through this forum several years and didn't find quite was I was looking for. Since things seem kind of slow, I hope you all don't mind a silly question.

2012 Brembo. P.Springs and Bilsteins. GT500 hats. That's it. Honestly, it's a street toy. I run with the A or B group a couple times and year. Maybe hit an auto.x or two. My racing is strictly limited to bicycles. :)

It came to me on all season tires 275/40-19 and factory wheels. This actually works well. Car also came with 4 nice performance tires (no wheels) of the same size. I am going to get a set of wheels for these tires so I have a summer and cold weather set of tires. Those are the two seasons here.

I had initially wanted 18s, but can find much street tire selection in 275 wide and about 27.x inches tall. So 19 it is.

I found some decent, affordable wheels at the major mustang online retailers with proper offset. I have the choice of running 275/40-19 with either 9.5 or 10" wheels. I like the idea of being square and rotatable. Any thoughts?

I am aware that the tire say 9-11 is ok. Also, please keep in mind this is just a street car that very occassionally places race car.

Thanks for the thoughts and info.

:)

Bay Area
If you’re interested I have a really nice set of
Brand new in box signature wheels in 19x9.5 for sale. You’ll never get a better deal on these wheels. PM if you’d like to chat about them

Is there any reason that your tires absolutely must be 27+ inches tall?

If I'm buying wheels anyway, I'd get 10's for 275's. If I already had 9.5's, I might mark time by giving them a try first.
Norm

Thanks for the reply. I have always found your info helpful.

No reason for the size. I am all ears on other options. My "street" tires are that size, so my thought was to keep it similar. Remember, this is all mostly street stuff.

With 3.73 gears, I like the overall ratio. My concern was much shorter would get busy at highway speeds. But I am totally open to sage advice. What were you thinking? Other sizes?

The wheels on the car are fine now with the 275s and they are 9" factory units. Fine, but a bit pinched. Hence the question.

Thanks again.

If you’re interested I have a really nice set of Brand new in box signature wheels in 19x9.5 for sale. You’ll never get a better deal on these wheels. PM if you’d like to chat about them

Thanks much for the offer. Those are truly beautiful units. For someone else.

We are very much on the white trash <$199 a wheel budget here...

Bay Area
Thanks much for the offer. Those are truly beautiful units. For someone else.

We are very much on the white trash <$199 a wheel budget here...

Haha, I understand that. Ive been on that budget as well. I have 18 inch Subaru rims on my Boss. I got them for 400 bucks back when I bought my Boss. Look into ARK - R8 wheels you might find what you're looking for.

759Rider - I am pretty sure the Brembo pack cars came with 255/40/19s square so you are running a slightly taller with with the 275/40. Definitely go 19x10 and then run either 275/40 or even better 285/35 which is almost identical height to OE (and is the same size that Bosses came with in back). A 19x10 ET42 (give or take a few mm) should fit even if the seller claims it won't. At different times, I have run both Ford Racing 19x10 ET47 Boss Laguna reps and Forgestar CF5 19x10 ET41 square on my car with 285/35/19 RE11s with no problems.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Go for the 10" and when those tires 275 are done you can go with 285s.

BTW, if you are going to use this set on the track, get metal valve stems instead of the rubber ones. Dill makes their VS-925A, B, or C versions that can match wheels you buy.

Also if you would rather get 18" wheels, Continental ExtremeContact Sports are available in 275/40 @ 26.7" or 285/40 @ 27.0". Great tire. Awesome in the wet too.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
With 3.73 gears, I like the overall ratio. My concern was much shorter would get busy at highway speeds. But I am totally open to sage advice. What were you thinking? Other sizes?
Other sizes after you wear out the set you're planning on using this time (it kind of sucks to only get one set of tires use out of a set of wheels).

By getting wheels that better support more serious track-use sizes later (if the track bug bites hard enough) you'll get better steering response and precision in all of your driving now.

On the matter of rpms on the highway, you could probably go with tires at least a whole inch shorter without changing the revs enough to get bothersome. 1" shorter than 27.7" is less than 4%, so the revs would rise up to a little under 2080 from 2000 at whatever speed that is for your car. 285/35-19 and 295/35-19 fall within that 1"/4%.

Norm

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Our 19x10" ET40 EC-7 would be a great option for your 275/40 tires. As many others have said, try to stick with a 10" wide wheel, it'll provide better sidewall support and more contact patch.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel