The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen1 1966 Coupe - Project "Street car" Build Thread Profile - Gen 1 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Few photos of the way things have been sitting for the last few months... I had the engine together last year, but I never went through the cylinder heads and I just did not have a good feeling running used valve train in this application so back apart she came... Getting all new titanium valves, conical springs, and a new cam to work better with the new valvetrain weights .

Having the engine out made me lose motivation for a while. It needs a lot of finish work but I have got the suspension , brakes, steering done. While waiting my transmission finally showed up (after about 5 months) I could not wait and had to mock the engine up so I could measure for a driveline. I am hoping this 4" AL slip shaft holds up.. Time will tell .

Need to get some "wide body" flares going for the thing, I still haven't figured out how I am going to do those (any of you who know me have probably heard me biznitch about that a time or two in the last 6 months.. ) That is all for now.. Hopefully next time I am back the engine is running in the car.. Hah!

Screenshot_20210622-140803.jpg

Screenshot_20210622-140943.jpg

Screenshot_20210622-140913.jpg

Screenshot_20210622-141835.jpg

Screenshot_20210622-142210.jpg

Here is a few more random photos

This was exciting, until the engine sprung a leak from either the pan or timing cover seal.... And out it comes again! Was getting ready for a maiden voyage down the road... Damn

In the mean time maybe I should clean up the shop.. lol

IMG-1913.jpg

IMG-1459.jpg

IMG-1871.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fun write up for all us old farts who grew up with friends or had 60-70 Mustangs ourselves. My best friend in Wichita had green GT convertible and I have to admit it was the impetus for me to enjoy and desire a Mustang throughout the years. Really fun to watch you rebuild the 65 into a new fire breathing steed and I am sure he will scare the crap out of other machines in the near future.

I don't think anything they have would fit. Maybe the super wide ones but... I am not a fan of the look.... I have the 3" glass fender and they are no where near fitting so I am just going the more custom route.. Only downside is it is going to be steel.. Hopefully I can have some updates on the body in the next few months.. That is the one thing I don't wish to tackle.

Here is a video of the car from earlier this year.. Still needs some tuning on the ecu side which I hope to do as soon as the car is out of the body shop...

Last edited:

Here is a video of the car from earlier this year.. Still needs some tuning on the ecu side which I hope to do as soon as the car is out of the body shop... Made 610/460 on the hub dyno.

View attachment 81659
I love it, im sure it won't be long until some Subi clown writes in the comments on how his car makes 10K HP and can smoke any V8.
I live for that kind of thing.

TMO Supporting Vendors