The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1st Ford - SVT- turn to a track car - advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hello guys. i am new here. just picked up a 01 Cobra SVT. cheap. never owned a Ford. know nothing about them. I want to turn this car into a fun road coarse track car for me and my friends. Dont want to go over board, just want to do the basic upgrades to make it as durable as possible. not going to enter any classes. i have done some research. i just have a few questions?
1. what is the preferable two stage clutch? Ram? exact part number? flywheel?
2. do i want to change rear gear ratio?
3. what is a basic good adjustable coil over kit?
4. keep stock sway bars?
5. do i need brake air duct cooling?
6. anything on these motors i should be concerned about?
7. should i change anything on this motor for road racing?
8. does rear end need to be cooled?
9. i have ordered a 3 row race alum radiator, braided brake lines, Hawk racing pads, off road exhaust
10. changed everything to synthetic fluids.
11. have 18" wheels and slicks
12. short throw shifter?
13. jet basic plug-in for MT just for better all around response?
14. any suggestions would be great.

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
Hey Carl, First I just want to welcome you to TMO! there's great people and cars all over this site. Need more info on your background with tracking cars because that can really set-up your time with the car. Personally I would hold off on slicks and spend some time on some normal street tires so you can find the limits of the car with the old trashy stuff making it more fun on the go-fast parts. As far as modifying a car before tracking it I would keep it to a minimum and doing stuff that will help you drive it better like a set of fia fixed back seats, Harnesses, different pedals so you can heel/toe and a phone mount so you can run a harrys laptimer or similar. These car's can do a lot in stock form and as I've heard multiple times on this forum "You shouldn't replace a shelf full of good parts for a shelf full of okay parts.". Thats just my .02, hope you enjoy this site!

It isn't a drag car so ignore#1. Track cars should not be hard on clutches. Note I said "should". I'd do #9 plus hi temp brake fluid, rebuild the calipers 'cause they are 18 years old and #5. Brakes are important. Going is optional, stopping is not. Plus additional negative camber in the front or you will burn the shoulders off your tires. Take it to your first track day, see what kind of RPMs you are running at various points. I'd use 200 tread wear tires as well.

Learn how to drive. You are the best performance upgrade you can get. I routinely outrun far more powerful cars at track days 'cause I can drive!

Slicks can cause things to get expensive quickly. They magnify issues with brakes and oil control. I don't use a rear-end cooler and I track in Florida. A good step up after brakes are better dampers. Not coil-overs, just better dampers with maybe some adjustment - Koni Yellows or Tokico D-Specs. If you want lowering springs, it is a good time to do that.

Welcome to the addiction and the forum!

Welcome to TMO and good luck with your build.

Agree with Eric62 above.
However, I now advise to new comers: Take it to an HPDE or track day (the way it is) and learn and have fun. Good street tires, pads, rotors and fresh brake fluid.
Learn: How to drive, how the car handles, what it needs first, what to bring with you to the track, the format of a track day, track and paddock etiquette. Be on time, or early, to grid and be ready to rock.
If you can do all the above on your first day at the track, you're off to a golden start.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel