The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1st oil change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Changed mine at exactly 1000 miles, and Ford covered it under the extended warranty. He threw in an extra qt. to keep in the trunk,just in case. Would have run $125.00 if he charged me.I'll do my next change at 5k

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
this topic is a great debate. Change it when you feel its nessasary is what it really boils down to. I changed mine at 5600 something miles. the next can of worms is to have the dealer do it or not then the ever popular question motorcraft, mobil 1, redline or castrol?

I did mine at around 1300 miles , the oil was still very clean , I think the oil life sensor showed 73% oil life left, I put a filtermag (race version with the stronger/more magnets)on my oil filter when the car was new , I was surprised to find very minimal particles when I cut open the original oil filter.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
unit5alive said:
I did mine at around 1300 miles , the oil was still very clean , I think the oil life sensor showed 73% oil life left, I put a filtermag (race version with the stronger/more magnets)on my oil filter when the car was new , I was surprised to find very minimal particles when I cut open the original oil filter.

Aluminum block and heads, if you found many particles attracted by the magnets I would be very concerned could only be cams or crank wear both of which would be bad. Most early oil change debris would be casting sand, or aluminum machining particles. I think all the manufacturers are much better with cleaning and removing metal filings from their castings than years ago. Changing the oil early can't hurt and when using the car for severe duty on track is a must. I did mine at 2000 mi and every 4 hours on track.
Steve

I did mine at 2500 miles, but I had consumed 7 (iirc) quarts of oil by that point so it was almost like I had already done a change ::) My oil consumption has dropped off a LOT, I only have about 500 more miles on it since then (due to another issue) and it has barely burned any.

Just yesterday. Took it into the dealer as the dealer gave me a coupon for a free first oil change, and it expires in a couple of weeks. 1986 miles.

From here on out I'll do it myself, with Mobil 1, every 5k miles.

i think it was around 3k miles. was right after a 2600 mile road trip figured might as well was a pretty hard trip. From then on I usually go to the dealer every 5k miles or so.

CaliMR said:
I did mine at 2500 miles, but I had consumed 7 (iirc) quarts of oil by that point so it was almost like I had already done a change ::) My oil consumption has dropped off a LOT, I only have about 500 more miles on it since then (due to another issue) and it has barely burned any.
Wow, thats alot of oil in so few miles.
My first oil change was at 2,200 miles and my '12 Boss had used just under a quart.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
I just did my oil yesterday at 1800 miles. Oil still looked very clean and I'm sure I could have stretched it out to at least 2500...but new oil is never bad.

Interesting thing is that the car used almost no oil during the first 1800 miles. When I picked up the car the oil level was just a hair under the full dot and it probably moved maybe a millimeter down the stick. After yesterday's oil change I found that the low dot to about 3/4 of the way to the high dot is just about 3/4 of a quart (which makes sense I guess).

Another interesting tidbit, I did find about a tablespoon of oil in my JLT air separator with roughly 300 miles of use. Will continue to monitor this as it seems this part is worth the money.

Just got my 1st ,free oil change at the dealership today,1250 miles. used about 1/4 of a quart,checked before I went for the oil change,I believe it went to the JLT separator,every few weeks so far I had about 1/2-1 oz. I had to dump out.

TMO Supporting Vendors