The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1st Time Track Day, near N./S. Carolina?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Chicago IL
Hello All, I'm looking to do a track day with my car sometime in the next few months.
I have done several track day events on my Honda CBR motorcycle, several at Road America.

2014 - 310.jpg2014 - 311.jpg2014 - 506.jpg

But this would be my first time using the Mustang...
It's always been a fun streetcar and now I'm looking to get it out on track and see what it's like on a real road course.

2012 GT, Deals Gap_1.jpg

What tracks would be the closest for me?? (Leland, NC.)
What organizations runs the track day events??
Any high-level advice for a decent driver, but a 1st timer?

Thanks!!

My favorite yr/style Mustang...I wonder why????..I can't help you with your inquires, but I can wish you luck in your endeavors...................A decent driver can only get better............Drive/Race On...............................:confused:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Look at Carolins Motorsports Park in Kershaw SC. It is between Columbia and Charlotte. Several organizations run there. The Carolinas Regional Mustang Club holds their annual Performance Driving School each October. NASA Southeast region, SCMC/Track Club USA, and Just Track It all have dates throughout the year as well as Turn One which is the name used when the track runs its own HPDE events. Also look at VIR with SCMC/Track Club USA. They have a date in November.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
If you are trying to get on VIR this year, Track Club USA event in a couple of weeks. Also Tidewater Sports Car Club has event December 10th on full course. If I remember correctly both CMP and VIR are about 3 hours from the Leland/Wilmington area

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
In addition to Track Club USA, look at Tarheel Sports Car Club. CMP is a good suggestion and I think NASA runs there a lot. But certainly check out VIR and Road Atlanta. Both are great. I'll be there with Chin Track Days a couple of times each in 2023. I'm all done for 2022. 😢

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If you are looking to not only get some track time, but eventually do Time Trials, do check out NASA in your area , as they have a strong school ladder system and the qualifications for a TT Comp. license are stricter than most --- which frankly means it is actually safer to be out there with other drivers imho. Check out drivenasa.com

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I have run HPDE with 4 different NASA regions and Great Lakes is a step above above the others for driver development, but the OP was looking for somewhere near where he lives in North Carolina to get on track in the next couple of months. Great Lakes isn't an option right now. They held their season finale at NCM Motorsports Park a couple of weeks ago.

TMO Supporting Vendors