The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1st track day ever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absolutely yes on the 18 inch square setup. I have been recommending the BFG R1 "S" compound in a 285/18. I pay $319 each at Discount Tire. They mount and balence for free and will rotate them (flip) for free as well. They are DOT rated and have as much grip as the 305/645/18 Pirelli full slick I run also. The PF01's in 9.5 are a great choise as well as the 5 spoke wheels from Vorshlag (18x10) that are lighter and handle better. I think Vorshlag's wheels are cheaper also?? By about 50 bucks each?

jdasch1 said:
Absolutely yes on the 18 inch square setup. I have been recommending the BFG R1 "S" compound in a 285/18. I pay $319 each at Discount Tire. They mount and balence for free and will rotate them (flip) for free as well. They are DOT rated and have as much grip as the 305/645/18 Pirelli full slick I run also. The PF01's in 9.5 are a great choise as well as the 5 spoke wheels from Vorshlag (18x10) that are lighter and handle better. I think Vorshlag's wheels are cheaper also?? By about 50 bucks each?

Thank you...Any reason why you run square rather then staggered...I've heard you need adjustable sway bars when running them square???

drano38

Wayne
Bull,
I run square with Enkei 18x9.5 in 45mm offset (silver) and 35mm offset (black). 285/35 NT-05 tires.
Like others said, max tire life because I can run them on any corner. If the track is dry, they can be run backwards--forward direction is for water dissipation only.
You'll need one or 2 say bars if you go square. Stiffer front, or weaker rear, or combo of both.
I did front and rear by Sam Strano. JScheier has them also--I copied him!
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=870&CategoryID=200&ModelID=35
Whiteline is another option worth looking at.
http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=141_142_179

Thanks again guys. This forum is great. Hopefully one day I have experience to contribute too.. Can't wait to hit the track again.

Tony

TMO Supporting Vendors