The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1st trackday now a bunch of questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks pete

can you hear the noise on the you tube link?

This weekend im going to make the following test

Im going to hook up a camera aimed at the dash and a microphone in the cabin and make some runs with and without trackey

Hopefully this will help further

ian

Sesshomurai

big red one said:
Thanks pete

Im going to hook up a camera aimed at the dash and a microphone in the cabin and make some runs with and without trackey

ian

And don't worry. The guys here are gurus and you'll get all this ironed out one way or another. The boss is a great car you will find.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
big red one said:
Thanks pete

ian

It's very hard to tell with that audio. If anything I think I hear the side pipes slapping under the frame, but that's a stretch....

I think if it was the side pipes we would hear it all the time, but

ill run the test with the external mike you will definitely hear it if it happens

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
May be. When mine were slapping there was a specific resonance point where they would do it. In fact the right one did it at a different point than the left. Neither did it all the time. Took me a little while to sort it out ;D

zzyzx

Steve
Octane wise, you should be good.

( RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating )
98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)
100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

I do hear a noise - it sounds like the exhaust is contacting the body somewhere.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Your 98 R+M/2 would be a 93 equivalent...so you should be good. I don't hear any knock (or anything different) on the video. Have you driven the car at high RPM with the Silver key?

If it is knock, you can have the tune adjusted to be sensitive to the fuel quality. That type of tune is the reason why your GT can run different grades of fuel without any problems.

It's nice to meet a Mustang owner across the pond with both a Boss and a GT!

EDIT:
Okay, re-read your original post, and that you tried the silver key...

Is the sound like a few coins or rocks rattling in a soda can?

yeah grant thats the sort of noise, reminds me of an aluminium heat plate with a loose fixing to an exhaust manifold

Grant 302

That's not good, but you should be okay if you can re-flash Trackey with the 'octane adjust' setting set to Y.

If you bought the car in the states and can't get a local dealer to re-flash, then you'd need to consider other options like race fuel or aftermarket tunes.

ive made the video but im having problems uploading it for some reason please bear with me

Ive got a sneaky feeling its going to be pipes!

Grant 302

I hope it's the pipes! Sounds nothing like detonation. Maybe TracKey puts out just enough torque to make the pipes contact?

Get your car on a lift and see if your side pipes have put a wear spot *somewhere* on the underbody paint.

I love your use of 'THAT NOISE'. Brilliant! ;)

"that noise"

Well, i was trying to help

im thinking its to do with when the car gets hot and then the pipes are rattling, i guess its one of the side pipes right?

On the 12s, it is the passenger side band bolt on the side pipe. It is tack welded on at the wrong angle and rattles, but mine did it at 2500-3500 rpm. I heard a rumor that the 13s had that issue resolved, but I don't know for sure.

To test it, loosen the 3 bolts (at tip and 2 at junction) and the big bolt on the band. Twist the pipe at the band (it will take some grunting the first time) so that the bolt is angled away from the floor board more and has a significant amount of clearance (like an inch, mine had 1/2 inch at least while it was rattling). Zip it back up. Doesn't matter if it is hanging a little crooked, just do it to test if it is the cause. If it is the cause, you can play around with twisting to see if you can get it to hang decent while still allowing room or do what I did: dremel the tack weld on the band so you can twist the band instead of the pipe. Dremeling the last bit off the bolt on the band would probably work too. I 100% fixed my problem by rotating the band, there are some pics in one of the treads about exhaust rattle. Also, just banging on the pipe will probably not get it to rattle, mine would not, so you have to take it for a drive after you reassemble it for testing.

If you have a ratcheting box wrench, you can do it with the wheels on the ground. But in the air is better if you have access to a lift.

OK Guys, had the car in the air yesterday and we think we traced the problem to the aluminium heat shields that sit under the foot well, ones of them made exactly the noise when we tapped it so we have bent them up a bit so they are not loose

Ive got a trackday on Sunday at Brands Hatch tomorrow so ill let you know if thats fixed it

TMO Supporting Vendors