The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2 Bosses blow engines on the same day ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figured I would share what I just saw posted on Boss Mustang Owners Association FB page.

Scott Sipe When tracking the Boss, it is critical to check the oil level after every session. I was running my race prepped Mustang at Summit Point this weekend and saw two 2013 Boss 302 (White and Red) engines bite the dust. I was behind the red one when it started pouring out blue smoke.

April 27 at 4:03pm · Like

If this truly happened, my sympathy goes out to those guys. Anyone here have any info?

It will be interesting to see what happened but they will most likely be covered under warranty.

Ouch!
I was t summit point - main this past weekend, but didn't visit the other tracks to check out the cars.

However, I did have a mis-shift incident that made me loose almost 1/4 qrt of oil. I got worried a bit after that session, but engine and trans seem to be working fine, with no oil being burnt at later sessions.

Maybe the white car was me? ???

NFSBOSS said:
The one weak link is the valve springs if you over rev the engine.

Totally makes sense. I had thought the same thing when Ford showed that peak power is 7500rpm, but fuel cut is also 7500rpm. Suggests that there are some valvetrain limitations there.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i wasn't sure which cars the guy was referring to, but the only red mustang i know of that oiled the track this past weekend was a paxton supercharged track pack gt. supposedly blew the seal out of the paxton's transmission, but i don't buy that for a second. there was way more than 6 oz of oil on track and leading to his paddock spot!

the white boss (actually a boss302s) didn't give up the ghost. i helped him pull plugs to see what was going on. they were oiled up pretty good, but his issue was undoubtedly the pcv system sucking oil through the intake (just as mine did on the original motor). he took it home to be safe and plans to bypass the pcv like i did.

in fact, i talked a few oil suckers into eliminating the pcv all together. i am telling you, these things suck oil like nobody's business on the DRIVER SIDE. i don't give a rip what every tom dick and harry company or individual says, when these cars are seriously tracked, it acts like there's a friggin' siphon tube from the pan to the CAI! i can't tell you why this happens, but i see it all too often. the inline catch cans are a joke. when my engine sucked 5 quarts through the pcv, i had a whopping 1" of oil in my JLT passenger side can.

when i got my new motor in, i tried everything and pulled the intake manifold and cleaned it after each method tried. i finally got zero oil in the intake manifold when the ENTIRE pcv system was bypassed. i now tee both valvecover breathers into a moroso catch can and i can tell you i got nothing but water and a small amount of residual oil after a full weekend of beating the piss out of her!

pufferfish said:
i wasn't sure which cars the guy was referring to, but the only red mustang i know of that oiled the track this past weekend was a paxton supercharged track pack gt. supposedly blew the seal out of the paxton's transmission, but i don't buy that for a second. there was way more than 6 oz of oil on track and leading to his paddock spot!

the white boss (actually a boss302s) didn't give up the ghost. i helped him pull plugs to see what was going on. they were oiled up pretty good, but his issue was undoubtedly the pcv system sucking oil through the intake (just as mine did on the original motor). he took it home to be safe and plans to bypass the pcv like i did.

in fact, i talked a few oil suckers into eliminating the pcv all together. i am telling you, these things suck oil like nobody's business on the DRIVER SIDE. i don't give a rip what every tom dick and harry company or individual says, when these cars are seriously tracked, it acts like there's a friggin' siphon tube from the pan to the CAI! i can't tell you why this happens, but i see it all too often. the inline catch cans are a joke. when my engine sucked 5 quarts through the pcv, i had a whopping 1" of oil in my JLT passenger side can.

when i got my new motor in, i tried everything and pulled the intake manifold and cleaned it after each method tried. i finally got zero oil in the intake manifold when the ENTIRE pcv system was bypassed. i now tee both valvecover breathers into a moroso catch can and i can tell you i got nothing but water and a small amount of residual oil after a full weekend of beating the piss out of her!

WTF!

Did you suck 5 quarts form 1 lapping day????????????????

Steve - pics of your setup if you have the time please!

Do you have an opinion as to the kits that Watson Racing and others sell?

http://shop.watsonracing.com/CATCH-CAN-BREATHER-KIT-5-0-MUSTANG-2011-14-p/wr-pcvcan.htm

Thank you!

John

boro92 said:
Totally makes sense. I had thought the same thing when Ford showed that peak power is 7500rpm, but fuel cut is also 7500rpm. Suggests that there are some valvetrain limitations there.
Yes but it's not that bad. In two of the cases I know of the overrevving was from downshifts. The rev limiter works great while accelerating but has no effect if you do a hard downshift and rev the engine to 8,500+! For the most part I think our engines are fine up to 7,900-8,000 stock but I certainly wouldn't go beyond that on stock valve springs.

Regarding the breather I agree with Steve and would go the breather route vs an oil seperator if you're tracking your car. The WR kit is fine but you can build your own from the thread below. I have the design for the bracket and could have some made if there was enough interest. I would make them out of SS and not aluminum and could have my disc maker cut them out.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=880.0

The "302S" wasn't a real 302S, i believe it was in the works to becoming a 302S. It did not have a cage, not even sure if it was a boss. When I spoke to another NASA member at the track, they mentioned it was a GT. I could be mistaken tho. The red mustang was a GT as well.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I had not noticed at the time, but you are right, that could not have been a real boss S. It was missing a few key parts....such as the catch can. He did have dual JLT cans, though.

I will try to take a pic of my setup tomorrow for you john.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
NFSBOSS said:
Yes but it's not that bad. In two of the cases I know of the overrevving was from downshifts. The rev limiter works great while accelerating but has no effect if you do a hard downshift and rev the engine to 8,500+! For the most part I think our engines are fine up to 7,900-8,000 stock but I certainly wouldn't go beyond that on stock valve springs.

Regarding the breather I agree with Steve and would go the breather route vs an oil seperator if you're tracking your car. The WR kit is fine but you can build your own from the thread below. I have the design for the bracket and could have some made if there was enough interest. I would make them out of SS and not aluminum and could have my disc maker cut them out.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=880.0

Rick:

Keep me in mind if you decide to make up SS can brackets, I'm in for one.
Thanks,
2HP

TMO Supporting Vendors