The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2 post or 4 post lift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’m leaning to a 2 post. Looking for suggestions
I have both. Built the race car on a 4 post, and then added a 2 post later. If I could only have 1 lift, it would be a 2 post. Most jobs are quicker on the 2 post and if you ever need the engine out, dropping it down is much simpler and only feasible on a 2 post. Only downside of the 2 post is it needs to be securely bolted in place, whereas the 4 post can be freestanding and even mobile.

As for recommendations, Rotary make great lifts. A little more $, but asymmetric 2 post lifts allow more door clearance.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Only downside of the 2 post is it needs to be securely bolted in place
And there are minimum requirements for concrete strength, thicknesses, and distance from edges, seams and cracks.

As for recommendations, Rotary make great lifts. A little more $, but asymmetric 2 post lifts allow more door clearance.
Bendpak is another good name.

What you really want is ALI certification, which may not exist for all of a lift mfr's products.

Norm

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I had a two post in my home garage that I bought used at auction. I used it for years, but about 5 years ago I gave it away when I was doing some renos. I really miss it and need another hoist. Crawling under at this point in my life just sucks.! I like the accessibility of the two posts but keep in mind ( as noted by others ) it needs to be properly installed to the floor.

I've had my eye on this one from Danmar for a while for my side yard (RV parking) and inside the garage:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZW61XY/?tag=tmo302-20

It's obviously not a true, full height 2-post, but I think it would work well for me. My garage ceilings are only 8' so I could use it inside or outside depending on the project.

Thats the one @honeybadger has....i have a maxjack or whatever the hell its called.....i’d like to get that one

I'm a 4 post guy. The only thing I use a 2 post for is a full restoration.

Things I like better about a 4-post.

Can align exhaust with car in the air and susp @ ride height.
Can also tighten up susp links the same way (or even weld on subframe connectors).
Can do drive on oil change in amount of time it takes to line up 2 post arms.
Can drop an entire solid axle (or even entire subframe) on runways, swap out
susp pieces while raising and lowering entire setup @ will.
Have jacking surface if needed all along both sides of car.
Can add an older cheap alignment system and get to all the cams on IRS easily.

And my favorite, Put your lawn tractor on sideways to sharpen blades.

2014-05-12_13-51-40_690.jpg

Monaca Pa
I'm a 4 post guy. The only thing I use a 2 post for is a full restoration.

Things I like better about a 4-post.

Can align exhaust with car in the air and susp @ ride height.
Can also tighten up susp links the same way (or even weld on subframe connectors).
Can do drive on oil change in amount of time it takes to line up 2 post arms.
Can drop an entire solid axle (or even entire subframe) on runways, swap out
susp pieces while raising and lowering entire setup @ will.
Have jacking surface if needed all along both sides of car.
Can add an older cheap alignment system and get to all the cams on IRS easily.

And my favorite, Put your lawn tractor on sideways to sharpen blades.

View attachment 15042
Now that’s funny lol No house things are allowed in my new garage when done.

I have a Cheap (chinese) 4 Post in my shop that I had Installed/Delivered for Under 2k.
I have had it now for 3 years and my friend had one for 5 Years.
Works great and would totally Recommend a 2 Post over a 4 post as with a 2 post you can pretty much do anything you need to do. While the 4 post has limited accesses
1588003999172.png

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have a Rotary 2 post Asymmetric 10K lift. With tall jack stands you can do most tasks usually done on a four post, but not all.

Concrete is a concern. I had 5 inches of 3000 Lbs concrete poured to ensure I could install a lift. Most manufactures require 4 inches.

I like my 4 post, for the above reasons mentioned, it's also very stable and I don't have a problem parking another car under it.
All that being said, the most versatile will always be the asymmetrical 2 post lift, especially if you need to pull and engine, you just drop the cradle down and lift the car up, it also lets the suspension hang free, and is more stable (because when you pull that cradle, you'll definitely change the balance!!) than a standard 2 post lift. It will also be more expensive than any other lift and you will need some type of "footer" to mount the posts.

here's a very good explanation of the 2 post lifts and their benefits/disadvantages.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Ideally one of each would be nice but when I purchased mine I went with a 4 post with the rolling hydraulic jack option. That gets the suspension off the ground easily enough for brakes, suspension work etc. If I had it to do it all over again I would do it the same way. A 2 post sure is nice too....someday I'll have both but for now my 4 post/rolling jack lift does everything I need.

Ideally one of each would be nice but when I purchased mine I went with a 4 post with the rolling hydraulic jack option. That gets the suspension off the ground easily enough for brakes, suspension work etc. If I had it to do it all over again I would do it the same way. A 2 post sure is nice too....someday I'll have both but for now my 4 post/rolling jack lift does everything I need.

The idea of a 2 post lift in earthquake country scares me a bit. I will get a 4 post lift when that day comes.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel