The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2 post or 4 post lift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deciding between these 2

i like the greg smith because it can be mobile

Both have caster kits.

I have advantage 9K, direct lift 8K, and Atlas 8K. Got Direct lift first, as it was ALI, but can see
almost no difference between Direct and Atlas. Advantage is 1000 times beefier than either
of the 8K's and way more stable, even up pretty far with my 7700 lb diesel on it.

Atlas I only use for car storage, hence I didn't care much about certification for that one. Advantage is not
certified (yet) either, but it is so overbuilt, it's less of a concern than the cheaper put together 8K's.

One downside to Advantage is you cannot adjust rested heights per corner like you can with other 2. You can only
adjust cable height. Makes a big difference with older floors that are not all that level.

Both have caster kits.

I have advantage 9K, direct lift 8K, and Atlas 8K. Got Direct lift first, as it was ALI, but can see
almost no difference between Direct and Atlas. Advantage is 1000 times beefier than either
of the 8K's and way more stable, even up pretty far with my 7700 lb diesel on it.

Atlas I only use for car storage, hence I didn't care much about certification for that one. Advantage is not
certified (yet) either, but it is so overbuilt, it's less of a concern than the cheaper put together 8K's.

One downside to Advantage is you cannot adjust rested heights per corner like you can with other 2. You can only
adjust cable height. Makes a big difference with older floors that are not all that level.

so the advantage is a clear winner. the floor is brand new poured concrete so its level.

so the advantage is a clear winner. the floor is brand new poured concrete so its level.

Depends. It's a decent buck more and possibly uneeded vs Direct Lift, if you are going to put
5000 or less on it max. But it is way more stable since it uses tube on tube for attachment of
crossbars to towers.

The others use C-channel and don't have as much surface area, they can sway a bit
all the way up if you are tightening something with a hug breaker bar (lets say). Swaying might be good
in the earthquake areas though. :D The advantage is rock solid, even this high up. (I have a 59 T-bird
I plan to store up there when not using lift, and lift is very solid even with that this high, bird is about 4200 lbs)

20191220_150640.jpg

Also, Advantages X-jack is way cheaper than other higher end lifts, like Bendpak's
(although Bendpak's is air, but I consider that a PIA anyway)

I bought my 4 post used, so I didn't have a ton of options, but it pays to check everything twice. My lift is installed in my shed, next to the garage, the mustangs fits fine, but the F150 barely fits. A couple of tricks to make sure you don't mess up, I toss a piece of plywood in the middle of the ramps just in case the splitter decides to hit the end of the lift, this will sort of "nudge" the splitter over the lip of the lift, because by the time you realize that you've rammed the splitter into the lift, it will be all over but the shouting.

v06WGbll.jpg

Because the truck is a tight squeeze in the shed I had a few people watch the first time I moved the truck in and lifted it, to make sure I would clear everything, then I marked it next to the control levers.

B0f508Wl.jpg

vzA6xXhl.jpg

5YrKyiyl.jpg

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I'm trying to convince my lovely wench on this one. It fits and will work for the kind of work I would do on the car, plus there's storage too. My neighbor has one and let me mess with it. I do like that it's mobile and will fit in my garage with minimal changes.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I really love the two post lift ..................my fabricator has. He says he can do about anything on my car with it and I have more space in my garage, ha. Ok , I am jealous since I did not think a bit more about height when I built my house so the question of a two post or four post will never be a concern for me - neither will fit.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel