The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

200 tread wear tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@Bill Pemberton
I want to run goodyear supercar 3s, because I was so impressed with them, in 295x18. Unfortunately they only come in 275 x 40 or 35x 18.
I was going to ask if you had another recomendation since you are the king of treaded rubber.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would probably suggest the Continental Extreme Force or the Falken RT660 for you if you are looking for an HPDE tire. The RT 660 would be the better choice if you are going to do some Autocrosses too, and both of these come a bit wider -- 285 or 295. The odd thing, of late , is the 18s are missing many 295 widths yet the wide 315s open a lot of doors. The concern you might have is your main usage, because the tires that are killer autocrossing often get greasy on a road course quite quickly. The Emperor of Pylon Pulverization , the Yokohama A052 ( you could get a 295 there ) is insane on the autocross course, but even there it heats up super fast --- not uncommon to spray those babies down a lot at the event. On the other hand I would not even recommend you get those as having driven at Sebring that coarse old concrete would get those puppies wiggly in no time. Some may recommend the old RS4s , but they have been sketchy to acquire and rumors are they may discontinue, though they are only rumors, and they work well for endurance, but not very solid for autocross.

So, depending on what you want your main focus, that will determine the choice, and if you get a new set of wheels ( wide ) you probably could get some darn good take offs from Kohr or Phoenix Racing.

Another place to check would be TMO Sponsor Tire Rack , call the toll free ( 800-428-8355 ) and plug in extension #4362 for Luke Pavlik. He was one of the main Wholesale Reps for decades and now does Retail ( known him for over 20 years ) and he is not just a Rep, he is a serious TrackRat. This means he keeps up with all the new changes, trick mid year compound switches, new product coming , etc. so he understands us! Good luck!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
@Bill Pemberton
I want to run goodyear supercar 3s, because I was so impressed with them, in 295x18. Unfortunately they only come in 275 x 40 or 35x 18.
I was going to ask if you had another recomendation since you are the king of treaded rubber.
I know the question was for Bill and I’m sure he’ll weigh in, but wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Highly recommend the new Continental ExtremeContact Force. It comes in a 295/30-18 size. These will last longer than the Goodyear’s and the pace is very similar. I have 23 heat cycles on a set that I’ve had for a year now, and there’s still probably 10-12 more in them. I thought they might lose grip before running out of tread, but so far they’re as fast as they were new. Most of these heat cycles have been in brutal SoCal summer sessions, so 90-100 degree ambient, 140+ track temp days. @SMGDHG has been running these for a while now too and I think it’s his new fave.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
67GTA is spot on from what my friends have told me, the only weakness is they are not as solid for an autocross tire, so if that is more one's bent, the Falken may be a bit better -- though on a road course it is likely not as good as the Force. Continental is supposedly coming out with an Autocross tire, but that is likely in 23. Solid data from 67GTA and even better since the whole dang Country is now hot or hotter than SoCal.

For those in the Midwest ( Ks., Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois, Nebraska, etc. ) R&S Racing in Winterset, Iowa who a lot of us use for Hoosiers is also a Continental Dealer. This is a big plus as he comes to Lincoln often for the big events and you get shipping free and more as he can mount them for you at the site. Great friend of DaveW, who is usually paddocked right there with Ron and Sonja Ver Mulm with his Trailer/Store, and can vouch for the pricing, expertise and help R&S gives folks on site and at other events.

Ron and Sonja Ver Mulm
R&S Racing
515-462-3432

Tons of folks who autocross know these two and their reputation is beyond reproach ---- Ron is a past National Champion and super nice guy --even though he drives a Camaro, ha.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Understood Flyhalf, but Rob is putting the tires on Super Beater and in the past he has shared with me he is out to just have fun, so was giving him options for decent wear, decent speed, but choices aimed more at either autocross or track use. He already has access to sticky used stuff ( Hoosier or Michelin take offs from Kohr or Phoenix ), but since the Beater is price conscious and just having fun is his main focus that was the reason for the two main options. Also he wants something 285 or larger, as we all know he does not like tiny tires. I was not sure if he was still leaning towards more auto crosses than HPDE/time trials so that was part of the thought process. Sure if he is going to go with just autocrossing , the Yokohama A052 is killing it, but if he wants dual purpose ( depending on what he is leaning towards ) then not a lot of choices in wider 18s - 285/295s on up.

I am sure he will let us know his main focus , but that was why I suggested he call Luke Pavlik, since he is at the forefront of the business and I know a bunch of very fast drivers ( even Pros ) who check in with him.

I run supercar3 on my gt500. Is a great tire i agree.
If dry condition.. i suggest to check out the new NEXEN N fera.
The dry pace is faster than rt660 falken (according to tirerack)and apparently the wearing is really good (according to many first users)
In wet condition the new RE71RS is ahead of anyone. Including a052.

Worth a try

Screenshot_20220811-073325.png

Screenshot_20220811-073130.png

CA
@Bill Pemberton
Conti ECF FTW

I've ran

RT660's
NT01'S
AO-52'S
RS4'S
RE-71R

ECF's have overall been my favorite, no question.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Always good data Flyhalf, and we all know you are super fast. Looking forward to seeing the Bridgestone usage in Lincoln, Ne. this year as we all know the tire disappeared from the US since the new tire was substantially slower than the previous model, but ......................the key is that rumors are the compound was completely changed. They have always had very quick tire in the rain. BS1 will have a few other tires to decide on and as noted his choice ( as others will be ) is based a lot on whether he autocrosses or does HPDEs/Time Trials the most. I also really think folks need to know the tracks they run as Hoosiers disappear quickly for many folks, yet I can run at Topeka twice as long as other places because the track pavement is so easy on tires. The surface at Hastings is done with a similar process so that will be great for drivers too.

Good example is the Nationals site, old, old concrete ( like Sebring ) and in practice the Nexen tires are just not that quick, whereas the asphalt where Tire Rack tests seems quite conducive to them. Little items like that are why this Forum is so valuable because folks can ask drivers in their area what the track/autocross wear is like where they run, as the differences can be dramatic. It will be fun to see which manufacturer is pulling out the stops, as compounding changes occur before Nationals ( thought supposedly this does not happen, ha ) . Of course with shipping concerns that is not so much of a problem as the fact that many tires are simply unobtainium in various sizes. Shortages from certain brands have been common even before, so ones choices should also view consistent availability in my mind.

By the way , have you run the Goodyears Supercar F1 3Rs, as a couple of friends are stoked on them, though they wear quickly at certain tracks.

Last edited:
Always good data Flyhalf, and we all know you are super fast. Looking forward to seeing the Bridgestone usage in Lincoln, Ne. this year as we all know the tire disappeared from the US since the new tire was substantially slower than the previous model, but ......................the key is that rumors are the compound was completely changed. They have always had very quick tire in the rain. BS1 will have a few other tires to decide on and as noted his choice ( as others will be ) is based a lot on whether he autocrosses or does HPDEs/Time Trials the most. I also really think folks need to know the tracks they run as Hoosiers disappear quickly for many folks, yet I can run at Topeka twice as long as other places because the track pavement is so easy on tires. The surface at Hastings is done with a similar process so that will be great for drivers too.

Good example is the Nationals site, old, old concrete ( like Sebring ) and in practice the Nexen tires are just not that quick, whereas the asphalt where Tire Rack tests seems quite conducive to them. Little items like that are why this Forum is so valuable because folks can ask drivers in their area what the track/autocross wear is like where they run, as the differences can be dramatic. It will be fun to see which manufacturer is pulling out the stops, as compounding changes occur before Nationals ( thought supposedly this does not happen, ha ) . Of course with shipping concerns that is not so much of a problem as the fact that many tires are simply unobtainium in various sizes. Shortages from certain brands have been common even before, so ones choices should also view consistent availability in my mind.

By the way , have you run the Goodyears Supercar F1Rs, as a couple of friends are stoked on them, though they wear quickly at certain tracks.
Not familiar with F1R.

Did you mean the F1 3R?
If this. I am very familiar. En fact those Are the fastest street tire right now available.
Pacing like an R7 with high lat G peak.
Issue with them?
They are misarable when cold and impossible on wet.
So not great for autocross unless warmed and in general not a great option when temps are cold.
If warm or after 2 laps they are gold.
U can push them 20min and be within half seconds btw 1st and last lap. Consistent and superfast.

That is also why in NASA classification they have the same mod factor of an hoosier.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Yep, went back and corrected -- typing too fast. Great, I have heard the same except for wear, but that will probably be next choice since they are 800-900 less that R7s.

I'm just out having fun, I was so incredibly impressed with the Goodyears we ran at Daytona that I was pursuing them, I'd rather not run Bridgestone, they used to cheat like crazy in kart racing and I've never run them because of that.

Can't say enough good things about the Falkens as a competitive autocross. They wear fairly well (especially compared to the yok's), run wide for their size, and can be flipped if you are looking to get a little more life out of them due to the non-directional tread pattern. The price has gone up considerably since they initially came out but you gotta pay to play in the big sizes these cars need to be quick. I currently have 2 sets, 285/30/18 on 18x10's & 315/30/18 on 18x11's, and have been happy with them. If you ask around in the SCCA road race community, you can score some half life take off Falkens for cheap (I used to pick them up locally from a team last year for $100 a tire in the 285 flavor).

The khumho v730 is pretty solid and cheap, but I would not run them in the wet. Another popular tire in the CAM field tend to be the Nankang CR-S, although I've never tried them. The Federal 595RSRR Pro seems to have a following as a cheap 200TW, but I also don't have experience with them

Saw the new Bridgestones in action for the first time this past week at NNJR, specifically in the Pro STR class which was a battle between the ND2 Miata and new BRZ/GR86. The Yokohama still put down the faster times, but I think its still early to rule out the new viability of the new RE71RS

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the Super Beater in action!

-J

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have to take my Hoosier hat with me to intimidate the competition this Saturday, except I will be burning up a set of Michelin Sport Cup 2Ss. Heh, I am saving my R7s for the NASA event later this month, hope to drive in a Princely fashion and have a little " Purple Reign !"

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
I'm just out having fun, I was so incredibly impressed with the Goodyears we ran at Daytona that I was pursuing them, I'd rather not run Bridgestone, they used to cheat like crazy in kart racing and I've never run them because of that.

Funny, I consider that a *selling point*, lol!

TMO Supporting Vendors