The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2000 Cobra R?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totally bad ass looking and not many were made. @JohnW#88 has one.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R

The 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R debuted as the fastest factory Mustang ever produced. Its SVT-developed, naturally aspirated 5.4-liter V-8 produced 385 horsepower, good for 0-60 mph in 4.7 seconds, the quarter-mile in 13.2 and a 170-mph top speed. As a true, lightweight R-model, it also had track-capable brakes, able to make a full stop from 60 mph in just 127 feet. Like all SVT Cobra Rs before it, the 2000 R came stripped of any stock feature not needed for track use or that would add excess weight. Recaro racing seats, side-exit dual exhaust, a front air splitter and high-mount rear wing hinted at the car’s superb stability and handling capabilities. Just 300 units were made, available only in Performance Red Clearcoat.

Engine
Type: 90-degree, DOHC 32- V-8
Displacement: 5.4L / 330 CID
Horsepower: 385 hp @ 6250 rpm
Torque: 385 lbs.-ft. @ 4250 rpm
Bore x Stroke: 3.55 in. x 4.17 in.
Compression: 9.6:1

Suspension
Front: Modified MacPherson strut system gas-charged Bilstein monotones dampeners and separate 800 lb./in. spring on lower arm, 28mm tubular stabilizer bar
Rear: Dual A-arm independent with high durometer bushings, steel upper control arm, aluminum lower control arm, fixed toe-control tie rod, aluminum spindle, gas-charged Bilstein twin-tube shock absorbers, Eibach coil springs, 26mm tubular stabilizer bar

Brakes
Front: 13 in. vented Brembo discs , Brembo 4-piston aluminum caliper, Galpher pads, Cooling ducts from front fascia to Multimatic carbon fiber heat shields
Rear: 11.65 in. vented disc, single-piston caliper, Akebono pads
ABS: Four channel, four-sensor ABS system

Wheels/Tires
Wheels: 18 x 9.5 in. 5-spoke cast aluminum
Tires: BF Goodrich g-ForceKD 265/40ZR-18, Custom construction and compound for Cobra R

Performance

0-60 mph: 4.4 seconds (Motor Trend)
60-0 mph braking: 109 feet (Motor Trend)
1/4-mile @ MPH: 12.9 seconds @ 110.8 mph (Motor Trend)

Production
Total Produced (Coupe Only): 300

- Performance Red: 300

Source: http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/collector-vehicles/svt/mustang-cobra-r/2000.html

Don't know current market pricing, but with only 300 units built, it's a rare Mustang.

Good luck with your inspection.
302 Hi Pro

mattlqx

Mustangless
Since only a low number were made, which means very few will be for sale, there will be a lot of volatility in sales prices. eBay had two recently and one sold for 40k and the other near 50k. Condition and vehicle history will play a huge part naturally.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.PNG
    IMG_0056.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
Sent you a message.

I'd guess 42-45 would get you a nice, lower mileage, stock car with only a few bumps and bruses.

Then I'd start going up a grand at a time for super low mileage (>1500), limited owners, service records, black binder, window sticker, media guide, proper documentation, spares and paperwork.

When i was shopping, i passed on all the $40k 00Rs. I had no interest settling for subpar car as its a bucket list, forever item. Blems would have drove me crazy for its entre lifetime so I paid full boat with no regrets.
Avoid #82. Drove 300 miles each way to find a painted up mess.
Money comes and goes...

Oh, as per the car?

Its cool but has downsides. Its very, very, very raw just a race car would be on the street. Harsh, bumpy, hot, angry at low speeds and clunky as hell. All that kicks ass for about 20 mile runs around town. At the 20 mile/ 40 minute mark I'm headed home. Happy but done with it.

The splitter demands you plan route ahead of time.

You can't leave it alone in a parking lot. Trust me. Crazy person magnet for sure.

The car mkes great sounds.

Ask about the fuel cell. If the bladder hasn't been replaced it will need to be. About a 1500 spend.

More thoughts.

The hood. Most cracked back in the day. Ford replaced them but the replacements often had paint issues. If the car has an uncracked, orginial OEM hood, consider that a reason to pay more.

The proper way to close the hood is to hold it up 30 inches and drop it. Makes an awful sound but it works. Do not push down to "click it". As it cracks.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Car is beyond clean for a 2000.

3900 miles

3 owners

all paperwork

Splitter was rarely on so it's one new. no cracks.

Paint is very solid. close to a

Interior is solid. Some wear.

Only mod to endings is cold air intake.

Concern:
They welded in a full roll cage. At least an eight point cage maybe 10. Welded in trunk, dash cut and bar welded underneath, 6 spots welded to body underneath carpet.

Need new dash, carpet, cut out cage and spend some serious time fixing weld spots on car, paint, etc.

Price: I think i can get it for $37-38k

Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing your adventure, Boss302r013.

Thoughts?

Always hated guys that answered questions with a question, but.... Before i can answer, what are your plans with the car?

Other resonable opioions with vary but here's mine...

If your looking for a track beast 00R for a good price you seem to have found it. If you're looking for a mint condition, prime example/ "collectable" then this one probably isn't it.

Cool car with the cage, but it seriously narrows resell and street usability. I would think serious collectors looking for an 00R in the future look past cars with modifications that perminately alter the car. Welding cages is about as extreme a modification as one can get. But, since were on "trackmustangonline" site it maybe perfect for you!

Mine is still 100% OEM down to the tires.

Thanks for sharing your adventure, Boss302r013.

Thoughts?

Always hated guys that answered questions with a question, but.... Before i can answer, what are your plans with the car?

Other resonable opioions with vary but here's mine...

If your looking for a track beast 00R for a good price you seem to have found it. If you're looking for a mint condition, prime example/ "collectable" then this one probably isn't it.

Cool car with the cage, but it seriously narrows resell and street usability. I would think serious collectors looking for an 00R in the future look past cars with modifications that perminately alter the car. Welding cages is about as extreme a modification as one can get. But, since were on "trackmustangonline" site it maybe perfect for you!

Mine is still 100% OEM down to the tires.

Great question. I plan to use it and enjoy it, as all cars should be in my opinion. No track use. Just street use and hold onto it fir a few years.

If you plan on removing the cage and returning it to a streetable condition, I'd pass on this unit. With all the time, effort and cost of restoring it you may be able to locate a better starting point requiring less work. Plus, you'll see a resell upside if you plan on selling it later.

I think its currently buyers market as many folks have the shiny new toy syndrome.

GL

Can you remove the front part of the roll cage and leave everything behind the seats in? That leaves open the potential use of harnesses if you or the next owner decides to drive it on a track.

That's what the current owner said. It has side impact roll bars that I could cut out easily. The rest of the rollcage wouldn't bother me. I'm only 5'8" so the rest of the cage isn't an issue.

Oh, as per the car?

Its cool but has downsides. Its very, very, very raw just a race car would be on the street. Harsh, bumpy, hot, angry at low speeds and clunky as hell. All that kicks ass for about 20 mile runs around town. At the 20 mile/ 40 minute mark I'm headed home. Happy but done with it.

The splitter demands you plan route ahead of time.

You can't leave it alone in a parking lot. Trust me. Crazy person magnet for sure.

The car mkes great sounds.

Ask about the fuel cell. If the bladder hasn't been replaced it will need to be. About a 1500 spend.

More thoughts.

The hood. Most cracked back in the day. Ford replaced them but the replacements often had paint issues. If the car has an uncracked, orginial OEM hood, consider that a reason to pay more.

The proper way to close the hood is to hold it up 30 inches and drop it. Makes an awful sound but it works. Do not push down to "click it". As it cracks.

For the fuel cell bladder would $1500 cover labor and new bladder or just bladder itself?

Remarkably, they had electric windows....
Also, stock bladders are around, but have essentially timed out for competition use. I'd throw one in the corner if you decide to sell it later.
Here's my babies, one is a legit Cobra updated with Brembo brakes and the 04 IRS, the other 99 is a 35 anniversary edition with an 04 IRS, and a Kenne Bell blower on the SOHC 4.6 with standard Cobra brakes.
They both have Steeda SFCs, Steeda springs, and bigger front anti roll bars.
I recently sold the 99 Cobra for $7K, with extra parts. That would've been a good deal for you since the suspension was fully rebuilt along with the trans.
A0kSNm2.jpg

f7lL1bCl.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors