The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2004 Mustang GT-R Concept

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey everyone I hope you all can help me locate a really cool piece of mustang history.

Where do i start with this car. Most importantly to me, its the reason I fell in love with mustangs. This car was in many video games in the early 2000's that I grew up playing. To the point where I wouldn't play the game unless this car was in it. I was absolutely obsessed and i'm sure that played into my obsession with the Boss cars now.

Here's the problem. This car is a ghost. Since 2010 no one seems to know where it is and there's very little technical information available on the internet.

Here's what i know about the car other than what you can see in photos. It has the Cammer engine with dual intakes on the manifold, a tremec t56, and a winters differential. Id love to know more about this car especially who built it and any other specs as information is pretty hard to come by.

As far as I know, the last known location of the GT-R was in Monterey where it was sold at the RM Sothebys auction on August 14, 2010.

It would be a dream come true if I was even able to see this car in person. If you have any information on the car itself or its whereabouts please comment. Help a young mustang enthusiast find his hero car!2010-206416-2004-ford-mustang-gt-r-concept-16-07-20101.jpg

Last edited:
Wow what a neat car! I do not remember it at all but sure seems to be foreshadowing a lot of future specialty Mustang elements - side pipes, splitter, big brakes, etc. What it a SEMA car or something?

Wow what a neat car! I do not remember it at all but sure seems to be foreshadowing a lot of future specialty Mustang elements - side pipes, splitter, big brakes, etc. What it a SEMA car or something?
I believe it was at the New York auto show for the 40th anniversary but I’m not sure about sema!

I hate to say this, but it might have been a prototype for all those body molds, and widebody stuff, in that case it might well have ended up outside some guys garage slowly going away. A lot of those concept cars were sort of 1 hit wonders and were discarded. They weren't very well developed either, mostly a "looks" thing. 20 years from now somebody will drag it out of the woods, restore it and get a million bucks for it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
It sold directly from Ford to a bidder at RM Monterey for $110k in 2010. At that high of a price, I’m hopeful it’s properly preserved.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel