The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V 2005-2009 Buyer's Guide?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Hey everyone, I am in the market for a pre-facelift S197 and I am curious if there is a buyer's guide from the perspective of someone who is evaluating the car as a track/HPDE car. Is there anything in particular to inspect for or test on top of standard due diligence when making a purchase?

For example, I have read a few things about the cylinder head design change with the earlier years having a two piece spark plug that was prone to breaking/cracking versus the one piece design that started somewhere in the 2008 model year? Is that reason enough to pursue an '08-'09 model over a '05-'07 model?

Thanks in advance.

All you could ever want to know about an 05 to 09 Mustang Gt.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
All you could ever want to know about an 05 to 08 Mustang Gt.

I see you ran into the spark plug issue that I read about. Having gone through that experience… Is it worth avoiding the 2-piece spark plugs altogether?

Also, did you replace the plugs with OEM 2-piece plugs or switch to an aftermarket 1-piece plug?

I see you ran into the spark plug issue that I read about. Having gone through that experience… Is it worth avoiding the 2-piece spark plugs altogether?

Also, did you replace the plugs with OEM 2-piece plugs or switch to an aftermarket 1-piece plug?
Oh gawd no, I threw those POS as far as I could. The "good" Motorcrafts are 1 piece
There's also a cooling system upgrade at the very end.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel