The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 2005 Mustang GT (Gone but not Forgotten) Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
05/13/2023:

Front: GT500 6 Piston Brembo Calipers and 15” Rotors (Picture with CS 20" wheels that came on the car)
Rear: GT500 14” Rotors
275/35/19 Advan Apex Tires
19x9.5 SVE Black Gloss (well worn)

IMG_20230513_202008104.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Glad to see a somewhat local S197 join the group. As you likely already know, the knowledge base on TMO is second to none. I hope to see you at VIR or another east coast venue. Keep an eye on the event postings, and let us know where you're going to be.
Absolutely, this board is outstanding. Knowledge and healthy banter makes a perfect venue for our addiction.
Going to the event posting right now.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
This past week was uncomfortably busy for a three day event at Shenandoah that started yesterday.
The SVE wheels (19x9.5) were hopefully going to clear the 6 pots. I found a set for peanuts but they were the Drift model. I had read conflicting reports about fitment but I took a chance anyway.

Tires came in Tuesday. I decided to try the Advan Apex (275/35). Mounted and fit with more room to spare than the CS 20" wheels that came on the car.

I went with the 275s because I did not have time to worry about tire width. I could clearly go with 295s next time. Hammer on wheel weights were used for the same reason. Now that I know that the stickons will clear, they will be rebalanced after this weekend.

By the way, with Hawk 70s and 60s the braking power was startling. Even one of the other instructors was amazed at how well they worked.

IMG_20230519_135830308_HDR.jpg

Next came the seats. PO had comfy reclining knock offs so I landed a set of Corbeau Forza Sports. Had to have seat rails sent from Corbeau next day and they arrived on Wednesday.
IMG_20230519_135844115_HDR.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Yesterday was a learning experience. I set the shocks at 1 off full hard in the front, and 4 off full hard on the rear. Front sway is set to the middle.

It took two sessions to get the tires to come off of the track at 35lbs. At that number the sidewall triangles were barely touched. This morning I'll let out a couple of pounds to see what happens. BTW the tires are more than up to the task for a 280 treadware. Squealed and slid (when expected) but never gave up.

As every self respecting track car deserves on it's first track day, 116 was introduced to the skid pad first thing. Great learning exercise of course. At the conclusion, skid pad scung violated the once pristine exterior.
IMG_20230519_135820384_HDR.jpg

In the background you can see a GT500 owned by one of the directors of this BMW region.

Today will be more learning and maybe some adjustments to the shocks. The rear bar is not adjustable so I'll have to live with it for now. My impression is that I need less than the 22mm that was installed by the PO.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
18 year old rear calipers & brake hoses replaced this weekend. Went with Powerstop stainless hoses.
Found these for spare rear rotors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYMN4H5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Vorshlag 3" Brake Duct Kit in the mail. New front hubs will be installed while I'm in there.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day and thank you to those members who have served or who are serving our Country.

Rear rotors are not too critical, fronts, however, are worth dumping some big bucks into for HPDE, autocross, arguably, you could stick with the smaller front rotors because they are lighter, and have time to cool.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Eibach Camber Bolts added. Shop was able to squeeze out -2.0 of camber.
New Nankang AR-1s mounted to the SVE wheels in prep for September VIR trip.
It will be nice to have a little bit of grip compared to the overwhelmed 280tw Advan Apex donuts.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Tarheel & Toe HPDS
BMW CCA - Tarheel Chapter
Friday, Sep 15 — Sunday, Sep 17.

I think they still need instructors if that applies. Not sure about others.

Come on out if you can, need all the Stangs we can get out there.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel