The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2007 COYOTE SHELBY GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
San Diego
So here goes nothing. This will be the thread I use to explain the cost, problems, headaches, blood, pain, and sweat of swapping a Gen 3 Coyote into a 2007 Shelby GT.

How did we get here:

I currently own a 2007 Shelby GT and I have multiple gripes with it. For starters, the power is horrendously low and takes forced induction to make any power at all. My road racers know that forced induction usually leads to some massive heat soak problems that are a pain to mitigate. The 3v that is currently in the car is high mileage(150k) and I don't see the motor lasting much longer constantly being driven at full tilt. Along with this, I will also be traveling east to race at some of the bigger tracks(COTA, VIR, etc.) and I once again don't see the 3v lasting at any of those tracks. The last thing I need is the car grenading itself at VIR days away from California. Lastly I would also like to compete in NASA TT2 and a coyote will ultimately be more competitive(and fun) compared to the 3v.

At first, the plan was to rip the motor out and build a super badass gen 2 coyote capable of 1000hp because well... why the hell not? But I quickly realized why the hell not, the downtime was going to be way too long for my liking(6-9 months). The cost was going to be exponential, which I was fine with until I realized the car would be caught in the middle of some problems I did not feel like dealing with. So with some help with my friends, we decided the gen 3 coyote was the best option.

To start, the gen 3 coyote is going to be a breeze to swap in, being that you can buy a crate engine with all the electronics and have it running in no time. The gen 3 coyote's have also proven to be pretty reliable(with reliability mods) at 500ish hp. I also just wanted a motor that was going to be simple and long lasting(yes quite ironic considering my previous 1000hp statement). Lastly it will also be the most budget friendly option when dealing with my chaotic self and desires in cars.

In the end, some people might ask why I just dont buy a wrecked S550 with the motor already in and the answer is simple; desire. This mustang means a lot more to me than some of the people in my life, I dont want to pour my life and soul into something other than this car. I also just want to build something, I want to call it mine and satisfy the desire I've had since I was a kid which was to build a racecar. Its also worth noting that I bought the crate motor with a 35% discount at CJ pony parts LOL.

So thats how we got here and the plan is simple. Crate Motor, Control Pack, Engine Reliability Mods(I'll dive deeper in the next post), Cooling, EPAS, Fueling, Intake, and a sick dash setup. I plan on documenting the ENTIRE cost for the swap along with hours spent working on it. I will be doing a YouTube series on it and will eventually post spreadsheets with cost and parts breakdown here. The faster I get it done, the better. I have the goal of a 2 week swap timeline but we'll see how that pans out. The planning stage has been crazy for sure and will be asking for help along the way.

Thats it for now, peace.

FOLLOWING!!! I love the styling of the 05-09 S197s (those awesome radiused fenders, those great tail lights, the old school nose, etc) but yeah they are disappointingly slow with the 4.6. If I could make a suggestion - do NOT use an MT82. The Tremec in my GT350R is a million miles better than the MT82s in the 2 Bosses I owned.

Can't wait to hear more about the project! Good luck!

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
In the end, some people might ask why I just dont buy a wrecked S550 with the motor already in and the answer is simple; desire. This mustang means a lot more to me than some of the people in my life, I dont want to pour my life and soul into something other than this car. I also just want to build something, I want to call it mine and satisfy the desire I've had since I was a kid which was to build a racecar.
I totally understand. Following along as I'm sure when mine blows I'll go down a similar route.

Cool project, you'll love the final result. Even a stock gen3 motor with the right gearing is pretty damn healthy. Especially in a car that's what 700lbs lighter than an S550?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
So here goes nothing. This will be the thread I use to explain the cost, problems, headaches, blood, pain, and sweat of swapping a Gen 3 Coyote into a 2007 Shelby GT.

How did we get here:

I currently own a 2007 Shelby GT and I have multiple gripes with it. For starters, the power is horrendously low and takes forced induction to make any power at all. My road racers know that forced induction usually leads to some massive heat soak problems that are a pain to mitigate. The 3v that is currently in the car is high mileage(150k) and I don't see the motor lasting much longer constantly being driven at full tilt. Along with this, I will also be traveling east to race at some of the bigger tracks(COTA, VIR, etc.) and I once again don't see the 3v lasting at any of those tracks. The last thing I need is the car grenading itself at VIR days away from California. Lastly I would also like to compete in NASA TT2 and a coyote will ultimately be more competitive(and fun) compared to the 3v.

At first, the plan was to rip the motor out and build a super badass gen 2 coyote capable of 1000hp because well... why the hell not? But I quickly realized why the hell not, the downtime was going to be way too long for my liking(6-9 months). The cost was going to be exponential, which I was fine with until I realized the car would be caught in the middle of some problems I did not feel like dealing with. So with some help with my friends, we decided the gen 3 coyote was the best option.

To start, the gen 3 coyote is going to be a breeze to swap in, being that you can buy a crate engine with all the electronics and have it running in no time. The gen 3 coyote's have also proven to be pretty reliable(with reliability mods) at 500ish hp. I also just wanted a motor that was going to be simple and long lasting(yes quite ironic considering my previous 1000hp statement). Lastly it will also be the most budget friendly option when dealing with my chaotic self and desires in cars.

In the end, some people might ask why I just dont buy a wrecked S550 with the motor already in and the answer is simple; desire. This mustang means a lot more to me than some of the people in my life, I dont want to pour my life and soul into something other than this car. I also just want to build something, I want to call it mine and satisfy the desire I've had since I was a kid which was to build a racecar. Its also worth noting that I bought the crate motor with a 35% discount at CJ pony parts LOL.

So thats how we got here and the plan is simple. Crate Motor, Control Pack, Engine Reliability Mods(I'll dive deeper in the next post), Cooling, EPAS, Fueling, Intake, and a sick dash setup. I plan on documenting the ENTIRE cost for the swap along with hours spent working on it. I will be doing a YouTube series on it and will eventually post spreadsheets with cost and parts breakdown here. The faster I get it done, the better. I have the goal of a 2 week swap timeline but we'll see how that pans out. The planning stage has been crazy for sure and will be asking for help along the way.

Thats it for now, peace.

Very cool. Which color - black or white? Check out the thread below for some inspiration from Andrew’s 07 SGT. My dad has a black 07 with less than a thousand miles on it. He keeps telling me I need to take the car to Cali with me so it gets driven - one of these days!

Thread '5.1L coyote swapped - Further cooling mods for road course'
https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...d-further-cooling-mods-for-road-course.17737/

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
San Diego
So here's post #2, I will use this post to talk about the engine and what I am doing to it. If you missed the first post, please refer to it to see what's going on and how we got here.

Hey what's up y'all, its been a couple weeks since the last post. Work and school have been hectic and has left me off the computer for a bit. I apologize for that. Anyways, MOTOR. It's worth noting that I have been saying "Crate Engine" but I should really probably be calling it a "Long Block" as it did not come with everything to just drop in and run.

As far as modifications to a brand new crate engine, they aren't very big or game changing. No pistons, no rods, no heads, no valves, etc. The motor will be getting a beefier timing system with some predator chain guides, GT350 chains, and BOSS302R chain tensioners straight from Mr. Ford himself. Coyotes have also been notorious for having some heat soak/oiling problems on the rear cylinders, so I stopped off on the MMR website(TMO is supported by MMR for those who do not know...) and picked up their head cooling mod along with their head oiling mod. You can never go wrong with upgraded OPG's on a coyote so you already know I picked that up too. Lastly I picked up a GT350 oil pan; they hold more oil and being that the car will be experiencing lateral loading it couldn't hurt to have some more oil in the car.

I haven't bought it yet, but the car will also be getting an accusump system. I was looking at dry sump systems, but being that a good one can cost over $7000... I can't justify it just yet when the car doesn't even have said engine running. An accusump will do for now.

Lastly if you plan on doing this swap, make sure you have an awesome friend like @Andrew Weidemann that can help you with all the little odds and ends. Believe me, there are LOTS of odds and ends when it comes to the Gen3 as I am finding out. Odds and ends you wouldn't really think about until you really need it too! I did two big purchases from Mr. Ford to get them but I am sure anyone with some time could easily find them off a wrecked car should they want to. If you do decide to talk to Andrew however, just know experience and knowledge do not come free, so don't expect free handouts.

Thats pretty much it, I'm still on the hunt for an intake manifold, injectors, TB, and intake tube. If I dont find a stock 18-20 intake anytime soon, Ill just be going to a Brett Barber intake. I'd be more than willing to buy an intake from a TMO member in a couple weeks though should anyone have one. Attached are some photos of what I have gotten so far and how the car looks right now.

Feel free to ask any questions or comment whatcha think. I always welcome questions as they hone my knowledge along with yours! Thanks!

tempImage7iBEIE.png

794D12AB-B432-4A23-A00B-F6763E27CF7A.jpeg

tempImagewpa3Un.png

6313E5BD-8C37-48E8-AAD1-AD191AA6F323.jpeg

4D11CF76-DAB7-4F51-BF8A-D228796FA5AE.jpeg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
San Diego
Very cool. Which color - black or white? Check out the thread below for some inspiration from Andrew’s 07 SGT. My dad has a black 07 with less than a thousand miles on it. He keeps telling me I need to take the car to Cali with me so it gets driven - one of these days!

Thread '5.1L coyote swapped - Further cooling mods for road course'
https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...d-further-cooling-mods-for-road-course.17737/
I have the white one, previous owner removed the silver stripes and went to black stripes years ago. I wanted to go straight back to silver but after realizing the clear coat was gonna come off with it, I decided against it. Plus, I kinda dig it now...

Andrew is actually a really good friend of mine! talk to him almost every single week and he is the reason i'm in this engine swap mess now... LOL. He turned me onto road racing and I have been hooked on the coyote ever since I saw his running at auto club speedway my first track day!

Dont let that Shelby rot man! Drive it till the wheels fall off;)

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
San Diego
FOLLOWING!!! I love the styling of the 05-09 S197s (those awesome radiused fenders, those great tail lights, the old school nose, etc) but yeah they are disappointingly slow with the 4.6. If I could make a suggestion - do NOT use an MT82. The Tremec in my GT350R is a million miles better than the MT82s in the 2 Bosses I owned.

Can't wait to hear more about the project! Good luck!
Right???? don't get me wrong, some of the new s550's get me feeling some type of way... but the 07 s197 just has my heart through and through.

I have heard many great things about the MT82! Not!!!! I plan on running the stock TR3650 that is in the car currently until I have all the kinks figured out. Then I will either upgrade to a Hanlon Magnum XL or just upgrade the 3650. Still can't decide!

Right???? don't get me wrong, some of the new s550's get me feeling some type of way... but the 07 s197 just has my heart through and through.

I have heard many great things about the MT82! Not!!!! I plan on running the stock TR3650 that is in the car currently until I have all the kinks figured out. Then I will either upgrade to a Hanlon Magnum XL or just upgrade the 3650. Still can't decide!
the tremec should last you forever. good job on the accusump, a wise move along with the cooling/oiling mods. These engines are pretty stout, back in the S197 IMSA days you were allowed to change rods, valve springs and the oil pump and that was it. so you don't really have any worries with the wet sump as long as it's scavenging correctly.

the tremec should last you forever. good job on the accusump, a wise move along with the cooling/oiling mods. These engines are pretty stout, back in the S197 IMSA days you were allowed to change rods, valve springs and the oil pump and that was it. so you don't really have any worries with the wet sump as long as it's scavenging correctly.
back in the fr500 days did you guys see any known problems arise with the tr3650? currently running a hanlon motorsport stage 2 tr3650 with a mocal cooler.

ny
back in the fr500 days did you guys see any known problems arise with the tr3650? currently running a hanlon motorsport stage 2 tr3650 with a mocal cooler.
The fr500c didn't use tr3650 they used t56 custom made for ford racing by rockland gear.
Wasn't cheap from ford like 10k.
The trans in the fr500c were bullet proof.
The shifters made by multi matic sucked big time alway loosing up.

The fr500c didn't use tr3650 they used t56 custom made for ford racing by rockland gear.
Wasn't cheap from ford like 10k.
The trans in the fr500c were bullet proof.
The shifters made by multi matic sucked big time alway loosing up.
Makes sense, like I said I wasn't around back then but I can say the TR6060 (similar to the T56) in my Shelby can take some serious abuse, if he's using that trans, he should have no issues, I don't think he'd have problems with the TR3650 either for that matter, he just gets to row it one less time. I really don't full comprehend why everyone runs the 6 speed, when in real life you usually only run 4 .. maybe 5 gears at most with the possible exceptions of places like Daytona.

I feel like I remember guys who supercharged their 4.6s started running into problems with the 3650 but maybe it was just the clutches? It's been so long I honestly can't remember.

Anyway, carry on and keep us posted! I love this sort of project.

TMO Supporting Vendors