The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V 2007 Mustang GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, ChrisM, you will be nice and close to Willow Springs if stationed at Edwards AFB, and as noted Buttonwillow is a bit over 2 hours away and then Chuckwalla is only a bit over 3 hours away. Sounds like SoCal might not be so bad after all, ha. Plenty of TMO members in that area so have a feeling you will enjoy the homecoming back home in the US of A?!

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Wow, ChrisM, you will be nice and close to Willow Springs if stationed at Edwards AFB, and as noted Buttonwillow is a bit over 2 hours away and then Chuckwalla is only a bit over 3 hours away. Sounds like SoCal might not be so bad after all, ha. Plenty of TMO members in that area so have a feeling you will enjoy the homecoming back home in the US of A?!

Appreciate the positive vibes Bill. I lived there for three years once before and being near Willow Springs and Buttonwillow are really the only redeeming qualities for me. California was pretty much at the bottom of the list of places I wanted to go again. The wife and I aren't too happy about it but that's life in the military. We'll make the most of it.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
A few things that are on my to-do list when I get back in about six months, besides install all the @#$% I've got stored in my storage unit, are these:

1. I need to find someone who does interiors. Bonus if they can do some body work. I attempted to do my own roll bar and race seat install and frankly I should have paid someone else. So now I'm willing to pay extra for someone to clean up my mistakes and do a clean sweep and install of a roll bar and seats and hopefully make the interior look professionally done instead of hacked up. I'm considering getting an AiM dash of some kind if they're willing to work with that, but this is all kind of nebulous at the moment.

2. Tuning. Once I'm done installing everything, I'll need a tuner who can make it all work. I've heard good things about Shaun at AED.

3. I'll need someone who can do some suspension tuning once I've got the additional parts installed. The car was previously corner-balanced when I had the Cortex coilovers installed but want someone to re-balance it after the additional stuff I'm about to do.

I'll be located around the Palmdale area but willing to make a drive if need be.

I had good luck with having Lito tune my car. I asked for a linear tune that would work for road course applications and after beating the hell out of my 3V for the last year and a half its ran good and made decent power with the mods I have. It's as easy as giving you your mods and I had to send him two data logs to get it where it needed to be.

Corner balancing and alignment check out west end alignment in Gardena or Chewerks in the city of industry. Ive had good luck with both.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I had good luck with having Lito tune my car. I asked for a linear tune that would work for road course applications and after beating the hell out of my 3V for the last year and a half its ran good and made decent power with the mods I have. It's as easy as giving you your mods and I had to send him two data logs to get it where it needed to be.

Corner balancing and alignment check out west end alignment in Gardena or Chewerks in the city of industry. Ive had good luck with both.

Much appreciated kind sir.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I was having a conversation with @mwjscn with regards to 3V intakes and he showed me this excellent article. Being a visual person, I took the liberty of graphing each test out. The data can be found here. I think it should be noted that the test was conducted with a Ford Racing cold air intake and throttle body. Thanks @Norm Peterson for catching my error, I think I got it right this time!

Test 1 - StockStock.PNG

Test 2 - Ford Racing Manifold
Test 2.PNG

Test 3 - Ford Racing Manifold, Hot Rod Cams
Test 3.PNG

Test 4 - Ford Racing Manifold, Stock Cams, Stage 1 Heads
Test 4.PNG

Test 5 - Stock Manifold, Hot Rod Cams, Stage 1 Heads
Test 5.PNG

Test 6 - Ford Racing Manifold, Hot Rod Cams, Stage 1 Heads
Test 6.PNG

Test 7 - Stock Manifold, Hot Rod Cams, Stage 3 Heads
Test 7.PNG

Test 8 - Ford Racing Manifold, Hot Rod Cams, Stage 3 Heads
Test 8.PNG

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I had a discussion with @mwjscn about 3V intake manifold information and he was kind enough to provide me with this link: Ford Racing Three Valve Intake Manifold Testing.

This information is probably old news for, well, everyone, but rows of numbers make my eyes bleed so I graphed it (graph is below each data table). Hopefully that works. Anyways, as most of you already know, the Ford Racing mods don't really do much for a stock 3V motor until past 4800 rpms and in most cases lose a lot of horsepower and torque down low. I'd be curious if anyone else wants to pull some conclusions from all of that.

This seemed like a better use of my time than studying for school.

Stock
View attachment 62523

Test 2 - Racing Manifold
View attachment 62524

Test 3 - Racing Manifold, Hot Rod Cams
View attachment 62525

Test 4 - Racing Manifold, Stock Cams, Stage 1 Heads
View attachment 62526

View attachment 62527

Test 6 - Racing Manifold, Hot Rod Cams, Stage 1 Heads
View attachment 62528

View attachment 62529

Test 8 - Racing Manifold, Hot Rod Cams, Stage 3 Heads
View attachment 62530
The plots are appreciated.

Might want to double-check which curves are HP and which curves are torque, though.

Norm

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
And then there's THIS going on:

Watch the video....looks very interesting to me.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
And then there's THIS going on:

Watch the video....looks very interesting to me.

For some reason I did not realize I'll be about two hours from here. I'm not so sure I want to be responsible for obliterating a rare giant kangaroo rat at 100 mph though. So much seat time ahead...

CA
A few things that are on my to-do list when I get back in about six months, besides install all the @#$% I've got stored in my storage unit, are these:

1. I need to find someone who does interiors. Bonus if they can do some body work. I attempted to do my own roll bar and race seat install and frankly I should have paid someone else. So now I'm willing to pay extra for someone to clean up my mistakes and do a clean sweep and install of a roll bar and seats and hopefully make the interior look professionally done instead of hacked up. I'm considering getting an AiM dash of some kind if they're willing to work with that, but this is all kind of nebulous at the moment.

2. Tuning. Once I'm done installing everything, I'll need a tuner who can make it all work. I've heard good things about Shaun at AED.

3. I'll need someone who can do some suspension tuning once I've got the additional parts installed. The car was previously corner-balanced when I had the Cortex coilovers installed but want someone to re-balance it after the additional stuff I'm about to do.

I'll be located around the Palmdale area but willing to make a drive if need be.
Chris,

1.) A very popular socal mustang shop is GTR hi performance. They quoted me a range of $600-$1500 to install a maximum motorsports rollbar. I ended up doing the install myself and am happy I did so.

2.) I used LITO for my 3v. I have 13 track days and 6 autocross events in all temps and conditions (32°F to 105°F, 10/10th's driving in both) and the car has never skipped a beat. It took him 4 revisions to get the tune just right/to the point were we were both satisfied. He was kind, courteous, and would spend a large amount of time answering all my questions because he enjoyed it, not because I paid him. You can tell he really loves what he does. I would not go to AED.

3.) A very hot alignment/suspension shop in socal area is west end alignment. I spoke with the guy on the phone and he was familiar with s197's but I didn't end up needing his services. No idea what's out in palmdale.

CA
I was having a conversation with @mwjscn with regards to 3V intakes and he showed me this excellent article. Being a visual person, I took the liberty of graphing each test out. The data can be found here. I think it should be noted that the test was conducted with a Ford Racing cold air intake and throttle body. Thanks @Norm Peterson for catching my error, I think I got it right this time!

Test 1 - StockView attachment 62559

Test 2 - Ford Racing Manifold
View attachment 62560

Test 3 - Ford Racing Manifold, Hot Rod Cams
View attachment 62561

Test 4 - Ford Racing Manifold, Stock Cams, Stage 1 Heads
View attachment 62562

View attachment 62563

Test 6 - Ford Racing Manifold, Hot Rod Cams, Stage 1 Heads
View attachment 62564

View attachment 62565

Test 8 - Ford Racing Manifold, Hot Rod Cams, Stage 3 Heads
View attachment 62566

Chris,

I did a slightly similar jump to you... I went from a 100% stock 3v to a 3v with:

FRPP Intake manifold
FRPP Throttle Body
Steeda UDP's
Lightweight Flywheel
BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers
FRPP Purple 24 lb/hr injectors

The overall power curve change was very noticeable. I picked up and average of something like 28wtq and 20ish whp from 5,000RPM and up, and the engine runs up to 6700RPM limiter without falling off. Compare the slope of the HP and TQ on a stock intake car to an FRPP intake car above 6krpm....drastically different.

Low RPM losses are non-existent. The losses with this intake happen in the midrange.

I tell you all this to say....I'm sure you'll love your new setup.

B Dyno.jpg

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I agree with Chris and Bill. A six pack of Maker's Mark it is!!! I'll kick my wife's car out of the garage for that prize. Wait... then she'll kick me IN the garage... so I may have to rescind my offer.

He's a wine drinker so maybe I'll find a fancy bottle of SoCal wine.

Chris,

1.) A very popular socal mustang shop is GTR hi performance. They quoted me a range of $600-$1500 to install a maximum motorsports rollbar. I ended up doing the install myself and am happy I did so.

2.) I used LITO for my 3v. I have 13 track days and 6 autocross events in all temps and conditions (32°F to 105°F, 10/10th's driving in both) and the car has never skipped a beat. It took him 4 revisions to get the tune just right/to the point were we were both satisfied. He was kind, courteous, and would spend a large amount of time answering all my questions because he enjoyed it, not because I paid him. You can tell he really loves what he does. I would not go to AED.

3.) A very hot alignment/suspension shop in socal area is west end alignment. I spoke with the guy on the phone and he was familiar with s197's but I didn't end up needing his services. No idea what's out in palmdale.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely check out each of them. I hear a lot about Lito, so I'll give send him a note when I get back.

Chris,

I did a slightly similar jump to you... I went from a 100% stock 3v to a 3v with:

FRPP Intake manifold
FRPP Throttle Body
Steeda UDP's
Lightweight Flywheel
BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers
FRPP Purple 24 lb/hr injectors

The overall power curve change was very noticeable. I picked up and average of something like 28wtq and 20ish whp from 5,000RPM and up, and the engine runs up to 6700RPM limiter without falling off. Compare the slope of the HP and TQ on a stock intake car to an FRPP intake car above 6krpm....drastically different.

Low RPM losses are non-existent. The losses with this intake happen in the midrange.

I tell you all this to say....I'm sure you'll love your new setup.

View attachment 64153

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. Not trying to do anything crazy with the 3v, I just want it to run reliably. It's already a lot of fun so just going to ring it out until it needs replacing.

TMO Supporting Vendors