The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V 2007 Mustang GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No whoops, but I know quite a few folks running this tire and finding it quite fast and nimble on a road course and we already know it is a very solid choice for autocrossers - especially those running Mustangs in CAMC. Luke Pavlik ( ext.4362 ) at Tire Rack recommends this tire to plenty of folks who want a triple threat --- road course, autocross , and street use.

Last edited:

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
The car looked great! I ended up leaving early with clutch issues, otherwise I would have stopped by and said hi.

Don
Thanks Don! I saw you hauling out there in your TA2 car. What a monster! I'm going to try and do the whole weekend at Willow Springs next month if you're around then too.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
The first two sessions the rear end was very twitchy. The instructor drove it and he recommended a softer setting on the rear. I did one click softer and that definitely helped, but I'm wondering if there's something better? Is that why a lot of folks run with a smaller or no rear bar?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
The first two sessions the rear end was very twitchy. The instructor drove it and he recommended a softer setting on the rear. I did one click softer and that definitely helped, but I'm wondering if there's something better? Is that why a lot of folks run with a smaller or no rear bar?
18mm convertible rear sway bar did the trick for me. The solid rear likes freedom to articulate.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
18mm bar or no bar. The bumpier the track the less bar you want.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Chris, who do you usually run with? Would love to have another fast 3v out there with me. I don't run NASA so maybe that's why I've never seen you.
I try to stick with NASA whenever possible, but I was forced to take a break for a while. Most of it just depends on what's close and fits in my schedule haha. I've already gotten the okay from the wife to do NASA's full weekend at Willow Springs next month.

I'm not fast though. I'm starting over in HPDE 1 to shake off the rust, though my instructor said if I attend Willow he'll sign me off for 2 after the weekend (assuming I don't go FUBAR).

There was quite a few fast 3vs this weekend. Actually there was a DHG Bullitt that I thought might be you haha.

CA
I try to stick with NASA whenever possible, but I was forced to take a break for a while. Most of it just depends on what's close and fits in my schedule haha. I've already gotten the okay from the wife to do NASA's full weekend at Willow Springs next month.

I'm not fast though. I'm starting over in HPDE 1 to shake off the rust, though my instructor said if I attend Willow he'll sign me off for 2 after the weekend (assuming I don't go FUBAR).

There was quite a few fast 3vs this weekend. Actually there was a DHG Bullitt that I thought might be you haha.
Good stuff, good luck and have fun. I usually run speed ventures, ongrid and extreme speed. I have buddies that used to be not fast, but then they met me 😂. I'm a great (bad) influence

I've been looking into NASA lately for the purpose of the full comp license but got confused by the rules/process/cost to get the license. Maybe that'll be my goal for 2023. Other than that I've heard lots of horror stories about being in the lower, point-by NASA groups so I avoid them. Also they seem to barely have any events.....I get rusty if I'm not on track every month or so.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Good stuff, good luck and have fun. I usually run speed ventures, ongrid and extreme speed. I have buddies that used to be not fast, but then they met me 😂. I'm a great (bad) influence

I've been looking into NASA lately for the purpose of the full comp license but got confused by the rules/process/cost to get the license. Maybe that'll be my goal for 2023. Other than that I've heard lots of horror stories about being in the lower, point-by NASA groups so I avoid them. Also they seem to barely have any events.....I get rusty if I'm not on track every month or so.
I go with Extremespeed if NASA isn't running nearby that month. The prices are great. They were my first exposure to HPDE.

The lower groups in NASA can be a zoo but they're organized and I like when you've got actual racecars around you to admire and ask questions.

If you're near Willow Springs in the future and need a place to park/crash for the night, send me a PM. I'm only 30-40 minutes away in Palmdale. Same goes for anyone else on here.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I go with Extremespeed if NASA isn't running nearby that month. The prices are great. They were my first exposure to HPDE.

The lower groups in NASA can be a zoo but they're organized and I like when you've got actual racecars around you to admire and ask questions.

If you're near Willow Springs in the future and need a place to park/crash for the night, send me a PM. I'm only 30-40 minutes away in Palmdale. Same goes for anyone else on here.
I'm on my way....whats for dinner?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Tonight is black bean and sweet potato tacos. I'll post the full week's menu on my Willow Springs B&B website (a joke, I'm not that cool).
I like tacos.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
So I'm removing the rear sway bar and I notice this. There was no contact when I installed the new trailing arms but now there is. There doesn't appear to be any deformation of the trailing arm brackets and there's plenty of space on the other side. It is in contact whether the wheels are loaded or unloaded. What could have caused this?PXL_20220130_233500717.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So I'm removing the rear sway bar and I notice this. There was no contact when I installed the new trailing arms but now there is. There doesn't appear to be any deformation of the trailing arm brackets and there's plenty of space on the other side. It is in contact whether the wheels are loaded or unloaded. What could have caused this?View attachment 72210
I put a couple aluminum clamp collars on mine to keep it centered.
It tends to shift one way or the other and would touch just like that.
I ended up deleting the sway bar altogether and the rear feels much more settled.
That may change though with the Cambered rear but with the stock housing it was much better without.

This is the front, but I did the same in the rear.
IMG_3740.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors