The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 2008 GT, new toy for the track Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
... and the best thing is you are only about 8-9 hours away from the SCCA Solo Nationals site in Lincoln, Nebraska. Imagine with your suspension changes you are out of the Stock Class , so I would sure consider putting the BigAss meats on your car and run CAM C. Check out Apex or Forgeline for 18x11s and the good thing is there are quite a few 200 TWR tires out there now for you to choose from. Keep us posted on what you decide and welcome to TMO. Who knows, may see you at the Solo Nationals this year, it is a " Bucket List " event even for newcomers ------in fact that is the best time to go as you will see tons of cars to give you ideas of things you might want to do.

Also , the Fast Fords and Mustang Roundup is in September , also , in Hastings, Nebraska. There are usually close to 100 Mustangs there , some for show, some for the track and some just for Club participation . The track time is generous, timed, and Ford Engineers show up to run their cars with us.

www.racemph.com

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Welcome! 3v GT are great track platforms. Sufficient power which can easily increased and lighter up front than the 5.0 and 5.4.

Be careful though.Once you start building for the track it’s hard to stop. This was a street car when we bought it. Look at her now.🤪

View attachment 63099

Very nice looking car. Clean.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
... and the best thing is you are only about 8-9 hours away from the SCCA Solo Nationals site in Lincoln, Nebraska. Imagine with your suspension changes you are out of the Stock Class , so I would sure consider putting the BigAss meats on your car and run CAM C. Check out Apex or Forgeline for 18x11s and the good thing is there are quite a few 200 TWR tires out there now for you to choose from. Keep us posted on what you decide and welcome to TMO. Who knows, may see you at the Solo Nationals this year, it is a " Bucket List " event even for newcomers ------in fact that is the best time to go as you will see tons of cars to give you ideas of things you might want to do.

Also , the Fast Fords and Mustang Roundup is in September , also , in Hastings, Nebraska. There are usually close to 100 Mustangs there , some for show, some for the track and some just for Club participation . The track time is generous, timed, and Ford Engineers show up to run their cars with us.

www.racemph.com

I am used to being in the south, and we had a bunch of tracks nearby. Fast forward to COS, and thought there would be NONE but I have been pleasantly surprised with how many tracks there are within a days drive.

Will do on the Apex / Forgelines, although I was hoping to keep the budget down, esp since I wasn't planning on wheels this year, but we will see.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Out with the old and in with the new. I started with Whiteline sway bars, and agree with the concept of stick with a brand unless there is a glaring reason not to. So, old stuff needs replacing, she gets an upgrade.

All this late night work in my garage and only thing you can see is the new rims. I did have one guy notice the end link hanging low and ask "How much else is hiding under there?"

Apex WHEELS look so much more proper.

image1-2.jpeg

image0-2.jpeg

unnamed-5.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Winter project for 2021/22 was going to be suspension, braking and safety. Even for AutoX, the whole thing feels a little lazy and soft. So, Steeda competition springs and the various parts that needed to go with that change. I also wanted to resolve a braking issue after smoking them at Pueblo last year, so big brake upgrade (once the second one arrives, stupid USPS), cooling (ducting is somewhere) and more appropriate pads. So many parts stuck in shipping or manufacture delays. Including the backordered FP hubs which all the work seems to be waiting on.

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Hmmmm......TL-R track/race bike???

ha, good eye. Yep, I purchased it new a lifetime ago, did 700 miles on the street and took it to Daytona. And about 4 years of racing. Then switched back to a street bike, but developed a coolant leak into the motor. She has been sitting for a while, I need to pull the motor and go through it then back to the street. Low priority since I picked up a Multistrada.

I don't see anyone ever paying me what the TLR is worth <to me>, so I'll prolly keep it forever. It's just so much fun and so unique in the sportbike world.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Ran an RC51 SP-2 with the HRC kit about 20 yrs ago. Saw more than a few TL-Rs....they were bada$$ with a bit of prep and a little courage.

Shame that WSBK changed to I4 liter bikes....killed the twins.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Ran an RC51 SP-2 with the HRC kit about 20 yrs ago. Saw more than a few TL-Rs....they were bada$$ with a bit of prep and a little courage.

Shame that WSBK changed to I4 liter bikes....killed the twins.

NICE! It was a debate, get the 2x4 like seat of a RC-51 with amazing handling or a cheaper with what felt like more power but weighted 50 lbs heavier. I went cheap and heavy and it was bigger so it fit me better but I always envied the quicker turn in of the RC. First change was to mount an Ohlins shock and toss the rotary crap. My buddy has 2 ex-race RSV Mille's that he is willing to just give me, but I don't have room for nor need more projects. But I want them. I need more garage. My "peak" was when Hayden and Duhamel were on the RCs with the Mummy / Jurassic park themes in the AMA and Edwards was on the RC. Definitely wish they didn't tank the Super Twins class. I also miss the 700 class being so strong, thats the perfect size/power IMO. But... the Multistrada scratches that itch for me.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Rob and FunSoul, need to get on track with you guys! I have never been on a road course with an ex Bike racer that I was not impressed. When you show them the correct line ( if you are instructing ) they get it correct over and over. The one thing that can scare you is when they say, " I think I need to go faster because I can't see a single thing to fear with 4 tires on the ground?" If they have been doing well, that is when I end instruction in the passenger seat, haha.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Never rode the thing on the street...never noticed the seat lolol......but it was easy to extract laptime...hard to highside it.

Miguel (Snowy North) at Louden on the thumper.....magic. Bravest/smartest rider I ever met/saw.. Nicky was fast but Miguel was a lot easier on the tire. Honda needed Nicky to win...all the right reasons. Same helmet painter...good times.

IIRC, Miguel rode a pos Yamaha GP thing in Europe in the early 90s. Stunningly good job, given that it was a 2nd tier privateer ride (compared to HRC/NSR lol). Shoulda gotten HRC seat, but Honda had a wealth of talent in those days. Thankfully they landed him here on the 45....all good after that :D:cool:.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors