2010 mustang Gt / Boss motor conversion

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by Steve Mullin, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Steve Mullin

Steve Mullin TMO Beginner

I have a 2010 grabber blue mustang gt ....I bought a 2012 totaled Boss 302 I want to do a motor swap and computer and gauge swap do I need to change the complete wiring harness to make this motor work or can I change the computer... I noticed on my gauges on my gt I have oil pressure ...battery ..fuel...and temp ... and the boss gauges only have fuel... and temp please if anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Grant 302 likes this.
  2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

3. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $665,833 Moderator

A lot changed between the two. You need the newer harness for lots of other reasons like cam position sensors, etc. that don't exist in a 3V 4.6L.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  4. modernbeat

modernbeat TMO Advanced

We looked into doing exactly what you are contemplating back in late 2012 so we could take advantage of some SCCA rules. And we priced it out, valuing our labor at some minimum rate like $20 per hour or something equally low. Not including the hassle factor, or having two bays tied up for an undetermined time, or the research and unexpected "figuring it out" time, it turned out to be cheaper to buy a lightly used 2011+ V8 car than to swap a stock earlier car. The only time it made sense to do it would be for a racecar that was already caged, and didn't need to have the street equipment (AC, stock gauges) working.

FWIW, we are currently doing this for a customer. And yes, it's a caged racecar that's moving from Spec Iron to American Iron. The motor swap is a small portion of the updates and upgrades being done to the car.

JDee and VoodooBoss like this.
  5. Steve Mullin

Steve Mullin TMO Beginner

Hi Rick motor #1676
    Vin# 1ZVBP8CU6C5244757
    I got everything I have complete wiring harness so I need change complete harness

VoodooBoss likes this.
  6. ChrisM

ChrisM No bad days.

I say you sell the scrapped Boss, buy all the Boss 302S aero and suspension bits and put it on your 2010, and have a sweet 3v.

But that's just me and I'm a bit dense.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

You will also have to update the fuel system and lines from a return-style system (2010 4.6L) to a returnless system (2011+ 5.0). That is do-able but going to be a bit of an annoyance.

8. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

A lot of stuff needs to mate up on a conversion like this now a days.I know how you feel about having a Boss Roadrunner engine under the hood but it seems there's a lot tyme and $ involved to accomplish that.Not like the old days, when you could swap motors with no problems as long as the motor mounts lined up.