The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2011/12 GT500 Exhaust vs 2013 GT500 Exhaust on BOSS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys, recently I've been looking at purchasing a new axleback system for my car and I think I'm going to go with the GT500 system. Basically my question is, aside from the quad tip, needing the rear lower valence and price, is there actually any sound difference between the two axleback systems. Anybody with any other suggestions are welcome as well. I've also considered the MRT interceptor axlebacks as well but I am unsure of them.

Thanks.

I went with the 13' GT500 Quad Tip Borla S-Types, but I changed way too many things (LT Headers, X-Pipe, Over-Axle Pipes) to make any video's of mine relevant. Personally, I think saying that it will sound the same is false. However, if your gonna spend money on a system, I rather go aftermarket to get more of a difference.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have not heard the '13 GT500 mufflers on a BOSS, but I know the exhaust note on the '13 GT500 is louder and more aggressive than on the 10-12 GT500. Both sound great on GT500s.

I have the '13s and even before the headers they sounded great without plates in. I don't have side pipes anymore with my headers and x pipe and they sound amazing. Even if its not different from the '12 ones the look alone can't be beat. The quads look amazing

ArizonaGT said:
I have not heard the '13 GT500 mufflers on a BOSS, but I know the exhaust note on the '13 GT500 is louder and more aggressive than on the 10-12 GT500. Both sound great on GT500s.

+1 I have read many times on the Shelby forums that the 13-14 GT500 quad exhaust sounds way better than the 10-12 500's. I've personally never heard the difference yet but in about a month I can give an opinion as I have a 14 ordered.

white2014_zpsc99cdfc6.jpg

I went with the 2011/2012 GT 500 axle-backs cause I didn't want to mess with anything else on my car. I don't have any knowledge of the difference in sound between the 2011/12 and the 2013 variants, but I can tell you that the 2011s sound way better than the stock GT mufflers that came on the car. Also, I bought mine from American Muscle around Christmas time when they were on sale for $280 for the pair. I think mine sounds perfect now. Either way, you need to ditch the mufflers that came on your car from the factory.

Another data point:

I replaced my FRPP sports with FRPP "GT500's"

The sports (Borlas) sound pretty good at idle, but in spite of claims to the contrary had an annoying drone in the 2K range

I know a lot of people dig the Borla sound, but I wasn't impressed

They sound a little artificial to me and I may perform a Borlarectomy to investigate the matter further

VTBoss302 said:
They sound a little artificial to me and I may perform a Borlarectomy to investigate the matter further
Before you do a full blow borlarectomy check to see if the muffler chambers are backed up. Get a hose, shove it in the tail pipe and put it on full blast. Borlaenemas usually help take out the congested gunk!

USNjocson said:
Before you do a full blow borlarectomy check to see if the muffler chambers are backed up. Get a hose, shove it in the tail pipe and put it on full blast. Borlaenemas usually help take out the congested gunk!

My FRPP sports got pretty messed up after hitting a tire wall down @ VIR over Memorial Day weekend, so it's not like I would be opening up a perfectly good muffler.

I purchased the 11/12 GT500 mufflers for my Boss, and got em used off of a local seller who had them listed on ebay for $125 for the pair. Couldn't pass the deal up.

+1 for the sound on these, they are deeper than the OEM Boss mufflers, and with the side pipes open, the exhaust note get's much nicer! More along the lines of what you would have expected from a muscle car.

VTBoss302 said:
Another data point:

I replaced my FRPP sports with FRPP "GT500's"

The sports (Borlas) sound pretty good at idle, but in spite of claims to the contrary had an annoying drone in the 2K range

I know a lot of people dig the Borla sound, but I wasn't impressed

The SVT Sports or the regular sports?

TMO Supporting Vendors