The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2011 GT won’t start.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
Hey guys, needed some help at least in regard to diagnosis as to why my car won’t start:

Quick background: car was fine up to storing it in November. Took it out a couple times in March to do some work/stretch it’s legs and it started fine then. 2 weeks ago I had to do some work again, pulled it out of the garage and parked in the driveway for a minute to go do something. Then when I went to start again to get it up on ramps, nothing. Fuel pump primed, just clicked and no crank. Battery was 5 years old, figured maybe it was time. I got a new one, same thing happened, had to cycle the key a few times to get it to crank. I took it out for a short drive and when I got back, I cranked the car a few times to make sure it would start (it did) before parking it.

That was 2ish weeks ago. Today I was curious to see if I would have a problem and sure enough, car won’t crank again. Has power, has fuel, and I checked all the relays under the hood and they all checked out okay.

My dad seems to think the starter is cooked judging by me cycling the key a few times the last time I got it to crank. Other then getting the car out of the garage and testing the starter, is there anything else simple/small I should be checking before I go an buy a starter? Would rather get the easy stuff out of the way.

Appreciate any help.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I’ve heard mixed things. Some say it’s not that bad. Is there a good way of getting to it?
I was on a lift and it is mostly by braille. I ended up with a flex head ratcheting box end wrench with fine teeth. You have to work at it a little at a time. You pretty much have to guess on tightening it since there was no way to get a torque wrench in there.

TMO Supporting Vendors