The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012-13 Boss on future collectible list

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't know if this has been posted:

http://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2014/07/31/Future-Collectors

My son is thrilled, he has a Lotus Elise and a Chrysler Crossfire (although not an SRT). His buddy has an S2000 and I have the Boss. I came really, really close, as in I had the money ready to transfer, to buying a Crossfire SRT6 Convertible. They made fewer than 1000 of those. I decided I couldn't deal with the automatic. Just a few mods to those gets them in the low 12s and a few people run them into the 11's. The engine is handbuilt and bulletproof.

I saw one of those hardtop Pontiac Solstice in the parking lot of a local bar a few months ago. It was beautiful. Too bad they only made 1200, and I'm sure the people who bought them feel like they won the lottery.

If the prediction is that they are future collectibles, doesn't that mean they are collectible today? Yes, it does. And I'd agree more or less with this list of cars as future collectibles (okay, I don't understand the Crossfire, a goofy car to begin with, being on there, but who knows...), especially the BOSS, of course!

That said, collectibility does not necessarily equal significant value appreciation, or the potential thereof. There are far too many variables to say what a '12-'13 BOSS will be worth down the road. However, it's probably safe to say, for example, that a "delivery miles" LS will be worth a heck of a lot more than a salvage title high mile standard BOSS. How much in relative and absolute terms, though, is pure speculation.

Bottom line: IMO, just enjoy and drive the damn things and don't worry about collectibility or future value.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
I see 4 out of 5 cars on the list that were sales flops. (The S2000 did ok for a short while).

Might as well buy a Cadillac ELR hybrid according to their collectibility theory-they literally sell about 80 to 90 a month-nationwide.

Well said dabossinne!!! All this collect ability talk drives me nuts. People will not drive their car for fear of getting dirt on them. I love driving my Boss and track it. I even drive my 70 Boss W code car. As Shelby said "just drive em".

four-walling said:
I see 4 out of 5 cars on the list that were sales flops. (The S2000 did ok for a short while).

Might as well buy a Cadillac ELR hybrid according to their collectibility theory-they literally sell about 80 to 90 a month-nationwide.

I don't think their predictions are based solely on sales numbers. All of the cars on the list are unique, desirable, and already have a cult following, in addition to having low production numbers.

I don't think the ELR will ever be collectible any more than the Allante or XLR have been. The XLR only sold 15,000 in five years, including 1500 XLR-V (443HP) models, yet you can score one for a good price. The XLR-V was over $100K new in 2009, but they are under $50K now. A regular XLR can be had for well under $20K. That is a pretty nice ride for $20K. If the XLR-V dropped to the $20K range I'd be tempted.

dabossinne said:
Bottom line: IMO, just enjoy and drive the damn things and don't worry about collectibility or future value.
One thing about having a car that consistently makes this type of list...I am more likely to hold onto it long term and not trade it in for the flavor of the month. Seeing the Boss on these lists makes me consider the future of handing off the Boss to my son or grandson, giving them something that's generally regarded as special.

Boss0960 said:
One thing about having a car that consistently makes this type of list...I am more likely to hold onto it long term and not trade it in for the flavor of the month. Seeing the Boss on these lists makes me consider the future of handing off the Boss to my son or grandson, giving them something that's generally regarded as special.

Absolutely. Already have mine going to my son in my will.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel