The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012-2013 Boss 302 Advancetrac / You have 2 votes

Is the 2012-2013 Boss 302 Advancetrac fully defeatable? 2 VOTES

• Yes, by holding the traction control button for 7 sec w/the brake pedal depressed

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No, it is only partially defeatable and will still intervene

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No, you must pull the circuit breaker

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes, but if you spin out with tires turning in different directions or if you run incorrect tire siz

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
The purpose of this poll is to get input on the Boss 302s advancetrac system. I am under the impression and it was my experience that when the button was held for 7 seconds it would turn completely off. I have slid the car sideways drifting, spun out, and even kissed the wall slightly with it all turned off. I never felt any intervention from advancetrac when it was turned off. There was an event I ran at Inde in Arizona, a very rough track and I was running different size tires that caused advancetrac to randomly turn itself completely back on. I'm not debating that advancetrac will turn completely back on when it encounters some type of error, like spinning out and having some of the tires going forward while some are going in reverse. The verdict I am trying to reach is will it still cut the throttle or actuate the brakes if you hold the button for 7 seconds while the brake is depressed? Can you drift the Boss and have the freedom to slide the car or will it actuate brakes and cut throttle even after holding the button for 7 seconds. Thanks guys

Adam

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Re: 2012-2013 Boss 302 Advancetrac

I have found that after the seven seconds "all off" routine, if you slide a bit much with semis or slicks, your traction control will come all the way back on. Only happens if you turn it all off. Sport mode stays off. Has happened with all three of the Mustangs in our club (2012,2013 and 2014).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas

Mad Hatter said:
I have found that after the seven seconds "all off" routine, if you slide a bit much with semis or slicks, your traction control will come all the way back on. Only happens if you turn it all off. Sport mode stays off. Has happened with all three of the Mustangs in our club (2012,2013 and 2014).

Don't forget to vote

You forgot the option to update the ABS module to the race version from the Boss302S.

It looks it's because the ecu think the car is going to rollover and still tries to save you.
GM does the same but instead of turning the traction control ON, it deploy the side airbag.

I only had mine turn back on twice and I don't remember what the scenario was when it happened. I felt more in control with the advancetrac off in the Boss because in would intervene a LOT in sport mode. With my GT350 I've been running in in Track mode and have only felt it barely intervene a couple of times in five track days.

My experience with the Boss was that Advacetrack will intervene with slicks, even when disabled. As Swiss Boss says the fix is the 302S ABS module.

Advacetrack also intervenes on the GT350 in Track mode if you push the car hard. In contrast to the Boss there seems to be no intervention when you disable Advancetrack.

hmm, I've never had mine turn back on, even on a skid pad... and I've also gotten intimate with a tire wall!

Just to clarify, I depress the brake pedal before hitting the button, not sure if that makes a difference. Also, seems like race slicks are what's re-activates Advancetrac. I've never run racing slicks, only DOT-R.

Question, when it turns back on for you guys, does the light reset, or it just reactivates without resetting the dash lights?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I have not had Advancetrac turn back on for me personally. But I believe that it can happen.

Sport mode interferes too often, way too severly and unpredictably on track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
F.D. Sako said:
hmm, I've never had mine turn back on, even on a skid pad... and I've also gotten intimate with a tire wall!

Just to clarify, I depress the brake pedal before hitting the button, not sure if that makes a difference. Also, seems like race slicks are what's re-activates Advancetrac. I've never run racing slicks, only DOT-R.

Question, when it turns back on for you guys, does the light reset, or it just reactivates without resetting the dash lights?

It completely turns itself back on as if you had hit the traction control button yourself to reactivate it. The light in the dash goes out and the LCD displays "advancetrac on"

I too have only experienced it turning itself back on while running slicks. The question I am more concerned about is, is there still any intervention while it is turned off by depressing the brake and button for 7 seconds? Does it still activate the brakes and cut throttle in an understeer or oversteer situation?

F.D. Sako said:
Side note: is the 302S/R module discontinued (even the one with the new part no.)?

I received mine a few weeks ago no problem.
Here the new part # : M-2353-CA

That was the cheapest place I found.
https://fordracingpartsbydonwood.com/chassis-parts/abs-module/mustang-abs-module-boss-302r-s-m-2353-ca/

Never had it come back on in Sport Mode, but then never got the car out of control. Someone explain why running full slicks would make it come on? I would think it would activate more with street or DotR rubber. Is it due to higher g loading because of better lateral grip?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
noldevin said:
Wasn't there a guy who recently discovered you could just pull one pin from the ABS harness to simulate switching to the race ABS unit (for free)?

I imagine you could put it into a failure mode to drop advance track and traction control, but the profiling of the ABS for tires definitely is done in programming.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
captdistraction said:
I imagine you could put it into a failure mode to drop advance track and traction control, but the profiling of the ABS for tires definitely is done in programming.
True, i forgot about that other part.
I suppose the pin pull will work for those just looking to prevent traction control from coming back on, but for those that need a little more from the abs system you'll still need the race unit

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel