The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 and 2011 M3 at CMP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So this weekend my buddy that talked me into a Boss 302 and has one ordered himself, and I spent the weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park with NASA-SE. Since we were both in instructor run group we had a chance to drive my stock, brand new 2012 Boss 302 back to back with his nicely (very nicely) built 2011 6 speed track only M3.

I think it's fair to say, he has at least twice as much invested in the M3 as I have in the Boss. The M3 is a track beast and I've driven it at CMP and VIR and it's awesome!

Now I bought the Boss because it's a great car, NOT because I beleived it would beat up the M3. I'm a BMW and still have way too many BMW's (track only and street). I must say that both of us were blown away by how good the Boss did!

The first session I took it just the way it came set-up. Suspension at 2 and steering on normal. It really did awesome. I was eating up the track. Bear in mind, I didn't want to have to get new tires on Monday, so I wasn't killing it! After the first session we looked and all seemed well. Very little wear on tires.

The second session out I set the suspension to 5 and turned on Sport steering. WOW, this car has got legs! It's as close to point and go as I can ever imagine ANY car being for a stock road car!

Then we switched cars and I chased the Boss in the M3 and watched closely while my buddy ran it hard. For you that still don't beleive, it's real! This car is VERY good on the track!

Any way, if you have specific questions, I'll try and answer. Also, I'll try and get some video soon from the M3 following the Boss.

That was very similar to my impression after my first track day with it. Curious if you saw any increase in ECT during your runs. How long were your sessions? What was the ambient air temp? Did you just run the stock rotors, pads and fluid or did you swap them out? Sounds like you had a great time. I'm heading down to MPH in Hastings, NE for a two day event this weekend. Car's already prepped and loaded on the trailer. Only thing missing is TracKey LOL.

Ok I'll ask the obvious question, which was faster and by how much? ;)

cloud9 said:
That was very similar to my impression after my first track day with it. Curious if you saw any increase in ECT during your runs. How long were your sessions? What was the ambient air temp? Did you just run the stock rotors, pads and fluid or did you swap them out? Sounds like you had a great time. I'm heading down to MPH in Hastings, NE for a two day event this weekend. Car's already prepped and loaded on the trailer. Only thing missing is TracKey LOL.

All good questions! NO prep work at all as I had one of my track only BMW's there and my Boss is a Daily Driver. No increase in ECT activities that I noticed. 20 min sessions. Temp was low 80's. stock everything! CMP is hard on brakes and tires, but the tires held up VERY well. Brakes showed fade pretty quickly but I worked extra hard at keeping them cool. New Fluid and pads would help alot, I'm sure.

ArizonaGT said:
In for videos...

Video is a biznitch cause my ragged old laptop is too slow for the GoPro video. Brother is getting a new computer so I'll get him to pull it off.

5 DOT 0 said:
Ok I'll ask the obvious question, which was faster and by how much? ;)

Hard to say as we were running a stock Boss against a built and track ready M3, but we all agreed that the Boss is awesome and that it is way too close to the M3 (even in the "built" mode). Given the cost difference, the Boss wins hands down!

If I took my $40k Boss and spent $10k on it and dropped some weight and all, it would be very hard for M3's too beat! Bear in mind, that does NOT take anything away from a M3, they are awesome and proven track cars, but it does say that there are great "other" options out there, and of course everyone who's ever watch a race knows that to be the case.

Jhall1957 said:
cloud9 said:

All good questions! NO prep work at all as I had one of my track only BMW's there and my Boss is a Daily Driver. No increase in ECT activities that I noticed. 20 min sessions. Temp was low 80's. stock everything! CMP is hard on brakes and tires, but the tires held up VERY well. Brakes showed fade pretty quickly but I worked extra hard at keeping them cool. New Fluid and pads would help alot, I'm sure.

Cool thanks for the response. I saw a rise in ECT at 88 degrees ambient, but was really living at the top end. Worked up a gear in some of the turns and temps came right down. With DTC 70/60 pads and DOT4 fluid the brakes were rock solid. I was braking "way early" as a result.

Jhall1957 said:
Hard to say as we were running a stock Boss against a built and track ready M3, but we all agreed that the Boss is awesome and that it is way too close to the M3 (even in the "built" mode). Given the cost difference, the Boss wins hands down!

If I took my $40k Boss and spent $10k on it and dropped some weight and all, it would be very hard for M3's too beat! Bear in mind, that does NOT take anything away from a M3, they are awesome and proven track cars, but it does say that there are great "other" options out there, and of course everyone who's ever watch a race knows that to be the case.
As someone who considered buying a M3 I'm happy to have the Boss considered in the same league when it comes to performance but I'm not surprised. I drove a 2011 5 DOT 0 Roush stage 2 last summer and was impressed with the handling, ride, and overall solid/quality feel of the car. The interior still leaves a bit to be desired relative to the M3 but I think the fun factor will exceed it. Not to mention the cost of ownership. ;)

5 DOT 0 said:
Jhall1957 said:

As someone who considered buying a M3 I'm happy to have the Boss considered in the same league when it comes to performance but I'm not surprised. I drove a 2011 5 DOT 0 Roush stage 2 last summer and was impressed with the handling, ride, and overall solid/quality feel of the car. The interior still leaves a bit to be desired relative to the M3 but I think the fun factor will exceed it. Not to mention the cost of ownership. ;)

Boy, we are in 100% agreement on this point. I too was looking at M3's and have a 1M ordered. I got the Boss because it IS considered in the same league and it's something different. It will also end up being more "rare" then the M3's I see all over town. Both are great cars, abit different but both are in the same league!

GA
Hey Jeff,

It was great to meet you, Ken, Tom, and Rigby at CMP this past weekend. It was nice to see the Boss in action, although I never had my camera when you were out on the track so I never got any pictures or video except of it parked by your RV. The Bullitt ran like a champ as usual and I was signed off for solo the second day. I guess I'll see you at RA next month.

Ken

Jhall1957 said:
Boy, we are in 100% agreement on this point. I too was looking at M3's and have a 1M ordered. I got the Boss because it IS considered in the same league and it's something different. It will also end up being more "rare" then the M3's I see all over town. Both are great cars, abit different but both are in the same league!

Glad to see I wasn't the only one cross shopping M3s and Mustangs. ;) I went with the Boss for several reasons to include the price and rareness. So far the only Boss I've see in the Knoxville area is mine. ;D

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
BossJockey said:
Jhall1957 said:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one cross shopping M3s and Mustangs. ;) I went with the Boss for several reasons to include the price and rareness. So far the only Boss I've see in the Knoxville area is mine. ;D

I was cross shopping as well. But it was a 2003 M3 vert and a 2006 GT. Obviously I went with the GT and thus my love with Mustangs became official.

Re: 2012 Boss 302 and 2011 M3 at CMP *VIDEO added*

Finally got a coputer I can upload from. Selective video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x95aOzhdLuI

Hope you enjoy!

I bet if the owner of the Boss was not watching the guy in the Boss could have driven it much faster! LOL

TMO Supporting Vendors