The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 Clutch Replacement Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will the GT500 master cylinder bolt right up to the Boss booster? I plan on separating the clutch fluid with a separate cylinder and have seen some go with a GM brake fluid container. Not sure if the GT500 route will make for a better brake pedal and system. I am upgrading to a Pro Race Brembo front brake kit so anything that can optimize the entire system is worth the investment.

Will the GT500 master cylinder bolt right up to the Boss booster?

The '13/14 GT500 clutch master cylinder is a bolt-in upgrade for the 2005 to 2010 GT. Good to confirm with a Ford Tech on the 2011/2012. I would be surprised if it was anything but a bolt right up to the Boss booster and etc. performance mod.

Pulled the trigger and the Exedy Clutch Kit EH06SD1 and Slave Cylinder BR3Z-7A508-B are on the way from Kohr Motorsports. Talked to my favorite mechanics yesterday and they are going to do the install the first week of December so this will give me plenty of time to break in the clutch before my first track event for 2018. If you all could suggest anything else they may need (new flywheel bolts, transmission fluid?????) let me know! Again, thanks for all of the reply's as they really helped me to make a decision!!

ARP flywheel bolts are a must.

Anytime you can upgrade to ARP anything, you should.

How much did Kohr charge you in shipping for the clutch?

They wanted to charge me $36 to ship boss 302s brake ducts ground. Id imagine they want $100 to ship a clutch.

Exedy clutch has been installed and I am now going thru the break in process, rush hour traffic in Columbia SC will help get this done quicker! 2nd day of driving and having to relearn the clutch engagement point. With the lighter flywheel and clutch the engine does react quicker so having to relearn that also. Clutch pedal effort is a bit heavier but I am impressed with this clutch so far. Will reserve final thoughts until I can get back on track this spring to see if this has solved my lockout issue, stay tuned!

To answer your question on freight charges gripdriver, Kohr freight charge for clutch assembly and slave cylinder/throw out bearing was $43.00, small box but heavy as freight companies charge by package volume.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

After putting about 400 miles on the new clutch in stop and go traffic back and forth to work I had the opportunity to run at Carolina Motorsports Park this past Saturday. After running about 60 laps I can report that I had no issues shifting or any hint of lockout as I got further along in the run sessions! I am very happy with this Exedy Clutch Package, the MGW Racespec Shifter, separate clutch reservoir and the LS transmission cooling scoop I have installed!! I believe all of the shifting issues have now been resolved and look forward to going to VIR in April with the Cobra Club! Thanks for all of your reply's!

So which disc did you use,the cerametallic or the VF?
Also what is the pedal effort like,heavier or lighter than stock?

Used the 6 puck cerametallic which was Exedy's only option for the Boss 302. Really can't tell a difference in the clutch effort from the stock clutch. Now the engine does accelerate and decelerate quicker due to the lower mass of the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate over the stock unit.

drano38

Wayne
I've decided its time to replace the clutch in my Boss.
Was planning on the McLeod RST and steel flywheel, but now reading and searching, the Exedy Hyper Single EH06SD1 looks like a good choice also for 3-4 track weekends a year in my Boss.
Anyone ever buy anything from Team Beefcake Racing?
They have the Hyper Single for $984 and free ship. http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/exedy-eh06sd1.html
That beats Kohr's $1179+shipping by a fair amount.
Or the Hyper Twin Disc is $1281.
@tomsgarage -- is the Hyper Single grabby when starting out in first gear? Or is it smooth like the stock clutch?

drano38

Wayne
Wish you posted this 2 days ago when I bought mine from Kohr.....damn! I can't complain about Kohr....got here in two days and they are good folks. They have everything I need for track work.

Yesterday was slower at work, so had some time to surf -- wish I would have done it sooner to help you.;) Good news is you got it quick with good service. That's worth something too. If I decide on the Exedy, I'll call Team Beefcake to see if they actually have them in stock--don't want the perpetual backorder.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
IHMO your first thing to change is the shifter. Buy the MGW, don't waste your money on the other stuff. The idiots that dreamed up the shifter for the Boss should be made to drive a Pinto with a stick. A little NVH isn't a concern when you are buying this type of car. No problems with the MGW when your grabbing gears in the corners or going up thru the gears on the strip.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Be nice to the pinto owners. We had two when I was growing up.
Yes, the four speed in the pinto had a much better shifter. Ah....the good ole days.
Ford and others listen to their customers. Most complain about noises, squeaks and rattles. Likely because that’s all they know about cars and, like us, are always at a key board. So Ford designs out the last little noise. Then comes along well......us. We want noise and power. Ford can either build two entirely different cars or make compromises.
For those of us that can remember a car with a FM Stereo as heavily optioned. LOL. We can relate to a time when performance was more important than a rattling shifter. Now the public demands power, comfort and luxury all in one package. Hard to do. If only the Tremec had gearing better suited to the Boss and its power band. That would have been great.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I owned two Pintos in my younger years, the first one was a shocker, 1971 lime green sedan, I purchased it for a winter beater in 1974. Three years old and it was already a beater! My daily driver then was a 1968 XR7 Cougar, 428 Cobra Jet, ram air, C6 & 3.50 gears. If you babied it, maybe 12 mpg at 55 mph.

drano38

Wayne
I'll have an MGW shifter installed also when the tranny is laying on the shop floor. Currently have the Blowfish bracket on stock shifter, but might as well do the clutch and shifter at the same time, and be done with it (along with new slave cylinder, pilot bearing, ARP flywheel bolts, and CJ pulse ring).

Anyone have experience driving the Exedy Hyper Single on the street? One post here from years ago says the Hyper Twin is like an on-off switch, so I don't want that since I also drive the Boss to work when the weather is nice.

I really like my Exedy Hyper Single Clutch and MGW Shifter for the track and the street!! All of my shifting issues are over, now all I need is more seat time in this awesome car!! And yes, don't hate the Pinto cuz if they weren't around we would never of had the Mustang II which kept our favorite pony car going during the dark times of the early 70"s......

TMO Supporting Vendors