The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 Clutch Replacement Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FYI if you actually call Beefcake and ask for their best price on hypersingles its decently less then their list price.

Just ordered my hypersingle from beefcake. I wasnt planning on ordering but then he told me their best price, that vendor is a HUGE win. Hyper Single inbound going in with my MGW and Ben Calimer. Shaking the money tree hard ensuring shifting purity.

Posted this on another thread, meant to post here....attention span not what it use to be...

Wow, lots of good information here! Wanted to update you all after running at VIR this past weekend with the SVT Cobra Club on how my Exedy Hyper Single, MGW Racespec Shifter, Trans cooling scoop, separate clutch reservoir, new throw-out bearing and fresh Ford recommended transmission fluid performed.........AWESOME!!!!! Not a hint of lockout or any shifting issues!!! Ran almost 300 miles on track over the weekend and the car performed flawlessly! In fact I knocked 6 seconds off my best lap from the last event here in November when I was having lockout issues! Needless to say I am very happy with the car now after these upgrades and plan to keep her for a long time!! Thanks for all the help!!!

drano38

Wayne
Thats awesome! Glad the mods work for you.
Did you install the MGW Racespec yourself?
I'm mulling over doing it myself after the shop installs the clutch vs the shop doing it.
How hard is it to get that top forward bolt out and back in? I think that's the worst part. At 50+ years young, I'm not as strong and limber as I once was. But I still take pride in a job well done, and knowing its done right (like the heat shielding put in the right place, reverse/1st--2nd gear adjustment pin set correctly, etc).

My MGW was installed by the man, the myth, the legend......George of MGW!!! Being close to the MGW Facility in Augusta GA I took him up on his offer to do the installation and the big plus was I got to tour his shop and hang out with him while he did the install! Great guy and a great company!

Being 60+ years young myself, I still do most of the work on my own car and considered installing the shifter myself until George's offer. Since you are having the clutch installed I would suggest having the shop install the shifter also while the transmission is out. Good luck!!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Drano,

I'm an old fart, just ask Pemberton and I'm installed my MGW twice. The first version and then after trading it in, the Race Spec Version. To be honest, it was the boot that opened the dam of cuss words.

drano38

Wayne
I'll get the Boss up on stands and see now easy it is to get a wrench on the top bolt. If its not bad, I'll do it myself after the clutch is installed. If the boot is that difficult, that's just something a shop might not get on just right.

drano38

Wayne
Got the Exedy Hyper Single installed yesterday/today.
Also installed at the same time, MGW Race Spec w Boss 302 shift ball, Ford Racing clutch line, CJ pulse ring, ARP flywheel bolts, pilot and throwout bearing.
Hyper Single will easily be a street clutch. Yes, more pedal effort, and engages much higher on the pedal travel with more bite than the stocker, but I'm sure it will breakin to a nice smooth clutch for street and track.
MGW Race Spec - WOW, it's awesome. One of those "Why didn't I do it sooner" mods. My Blowfish bracket made the stock shifter a lot better. MGW takes it up another notch because it gets rid of the stock shifter.
Thanks for all the info on this thread and everyone who provided inputs and their experiences.
20180507_154647.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• 42AD8826-8F65-446A-B2E0-2ED6F6EDEC13.png
    42AD8826-8F65-446A-B2E0-2ED6F6EDEC13.png
    886.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
So a quick <200 mile review of the Hyper Single kit.

Engagement- First if you had ~1.5" of engagement or slipping play in an OEM clutch pedal (the amount of room you have between when the clutch first starts to slip to the point where it would fully engage) i would say the Hyper Single has about half of that. Second the engagement point is higher up in the pedal stroke. Third the motor is much more free reving due to the less and more centralized rotational mass of the lighter assembly.

On my first drive without being able to dial myself in for these factors it made for a couple of broncing bucko experiences. The whole situation change left me starting back at 0 to relearn the car. Where does the clutch begin to engage and then commit to muscle memory and work on being more cautious with the clutch release because the "grab" is now more aggressive. The OEM clutch allows for any idiot to drive a manual smooth, the Hyper Single requires a touch of skill and a bit of practice. Buttt...

That being said now that ive spent some miles on it and adjusted for 1) less throttle input, 2)the higher up engagement(affects timing), 3)slower release after initial clutch engagement to mitigate the grabbier clutch i can officially say this clutch is girl friend approved after a Sunday evening dinner date in the Boss.

Pedal effort you ask? Yeah its noticeably but not sufferable stiffer, about 20% heavier pedal. Would i want to be stuck in Atlanta stop and go traffic with it? No. But i wouldnt want to be caught in ATL traffic with a standard clutch either. I would be very comfortably with a standard non stop and go commute to work in it though for sure.

Shifting? Very very good, great high rpm shifting now, no lock out...again just make sure you arent fully stroking the clutch pedal, you will have full disengagement with less then the top half of the clutch pedal movement...if you full stroke it slows you down and throws your timing off.

I hope this review is good for people trying to make a clutch decision.

Last edited:

drano38

Wayne
Glad you like it. Agree, timing for gas and clutch pedal movement on track/aggressive driving needs to be re-learned.
The only weird thing is as the clutch pedal bottoms out on the firewall, it feels like a firm sponge ball/slightly increased resistance.

As a rule of thumb, yes. If the pulse ring gets reclocked from the positing it was in before the flywheel is removed, you will get a CEL and possible limp mode scenario.

So as long as I don’t disturb the stock pulse ring it should not need a relearn. Is it possible to change a clutch and flywheel without disturbing the pulse ring?

Tim

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel