The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 Grille Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd use Tyvek and seal it from the inside with duct tape. The true test would be on a Boss/LS with the stock grill and then just add the 302S hood. Niether the 302R without the hood vents or the 302S have cooling problems.

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherization/en_US/products/residential/resi_homewrap.html

5 DOT 0 said:
The true test would be on a Boss/LS with the stock grill and then just add the 302S hood.

Still it will give an idea of the difference of just the hood vents.

Before you go crazy I would just try some painters tape or the road wrap, I bet five bucks it holds for one track session.

Dark Horse

2012 BOSS 302 LS 541
cloud9 said:
PeteInCT said:
Are you concerned about the paint on the inside of the hood ? All I can say is I've used it on blisteringly hot painted wheels and the paint was left untouched. If using the clear wrap from the outside, I'd be concerned about the areas above the vents where the wrap would be directly exposed to engine heat. Would it warp/melt ?
Well since I just had mine painted, yes ;D but normally no. Yea should be fine, I just envisioned duct tape and all the glue it leaves behind. No idea on the temp rating of road wrap, just seemed like it would be easy to put on and take off. Since it's basically a clear bra, it's going to get hot just being on an aluminum hood cooking in the sun and getting radiant heat from the engine, so I'd say it should be fine.

Either way thanks for testing smitty! :D

I would caution not to use the aluminum HVAC tape. We use it at work to seal the end of large diameter (6" - 12") stainless steel pipe that we store outside. I know from experience it is a biznitch to get off and cleaned up. I would hate to see it pull the paint off of your hood. :'(

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
See prevous post - cleans up in a snap with Bug and Tar remover. Keep in mind that if we were talking about the top side of the hood then I would not use it either. If Smitty is concerned about his underside paint then it's a moot point also. If the clear film holds then it may be the best option, but keep in mind that the non-permanent stuff (Not a 3M ClearBra or comparable) apprears at least on face value to be less heat tolerant. I've used the RoadWrap product, it's pretty soft and flexible. Before putting that near the vents on a 302S and exposing to engine temps I'd want to know it's not going to bake on the exterior finish.

Hey Smitty - aren't you glad you volunteered to be the guinea pig for this experiment !! ;D (all in fun)

I don't think it would do jack with the stock grille. I never said just do the hood. My point was, If you add the S grill, you have just about doubled the area for airflow IN. At some point (I don’t know what that point is) there needs to be more airflow OUT. The air flowing over the hood is higher pressure than the air under the hood. Therefore, (in my little mind) the air flowing over the S hood draws out the lower pressure air from under the hood. Increased airflow.
Am I right? I think so, but really I don’t have a clue. This is the internet, so unless you know me, consider me the biggest freaking genius in the world.

So anyway…
It’s supposed to be 70 on Friday. I’m thinking about cutting two pieces of cardboard, covering them with HVAC tape. I will tape each one underneath the hood using as little as possible HVAC tape on the front edge and a few spots on the side. I guess I could cover up the fog light holes with cardboard and test that also.

So I’m thinking ten minutes hard driving with everything covered up. Uncover the grille and go hard for 5 min. Uncover the hood and go 5 min.

Thoughts?

Smitty, my personal opinion here but for the sake of the forum I would not possibility put my car in danger. I doubt you would have a problem but if you start taping things on the inside of the engine compartment it could come loose getting caught in the belts or fan, or manifold (fire), again MO only.

I appreciate you doing this like everyone else but I think it would be better for your car to keep it simple with wrap or painters tape outside of the engine bay. If it does not work we will live to find out another day.

smittytx said:
I don't think it would do jack with the stock grille. I never said just do the hood. My point was, If you add the S grill, you have just about doubled the area for airflow IN. At some point (I don’t know what that point is) there needs to be more airflow OUT. The air flowing over the hood is higher pressure than the air under the hood. Therefore, (in my little mind) the air flowing over the S hood draws out the lower pressure air from under the hood. Increased airflow.
Am I right? I think so, but really I don’t have a clue. This is the internet, so unless you know me, consider me the biggest freaking genius in the world.

So anyway…
It’s supposed to be 70 on Friday. I’m thinking about cutting two pieces of cardboard, covering them with HVAC tape. I will tape each one underneath the hood using as little as possible HVAC tape on the front edge and a few spots on the side. I guess I could cover up the fog light holes with cardboard and test that also.

So I’m thinking ten minutes hard driving with everything covered up. Uncover the grille and go hard for 5 min. Uncover the hood and go 5 min.

Thoughts?
Go for it but like Scott suggested don't put your Boss in harms way.

smittytx said:

So anyway…

Thoughts?
I've already tested the 302S grille with the stock hood extensively and with and without covering up the fogs. What we haven't seen tested is using the 302S grille in combination with the hood. What would really help (me :D) is to see what temps do leaving the 302S grille open and just covering/uncovering the vents on the hood. Scott's suggestion for using painter's tape seems like the safest/cheapest most expedient option since it's readily available. If you were going to tape cardboard, do it on the outside of the hood with painter's tape to avoid the risk of it getting caught up in the engine bay.

smittytx said:
Well, I pretty much chickened out. I was fine till I got on track and started thinking about things catching on fire. More latter

Hope you had a good day at the track. Would like to see some more of you vids.

Sooner or later we will get an answer to the hood but you were better off not messing with it for now. It is something that needs to be well thought out before trying on track, maybe someday someone can do an actual hood swap.

I will do it again, it will just be a little more thought out. I had the hood taped up pretty well. When I got on the track and started driving it pretty hard, I started to smell things that didn’t seem right. It was probably my imagination being paranoid, and the fact that the fire crew wasn't there. But anyway that led me to cut the driving time with it covered. I don’t think I got it up to temp before I took it off. I was running 230 without it and 215 with it covered. I will find some nonflammable board and try it again sometime in the near future.

As far as a good day at the track… I know any day at the track is supposed to be a good one, but this one sucked. I couldn’t drive fast to save my life, I ended it with a great spin off track. When I got home to look at the video, it stopped right before I went off. Oh well, I did manage to wash my car and make it look pretty again. :)

AOE07.jpg

LOL, it fun to beat yourself up too much sometimes. I'll bet you were faster then you thought ;D At times I felt I was running like crap and later watching the vids - it was not really that bad. Besides (I hear they say) if you never go off track your not trying hard enough ! I'm just not sure who they are.

Does anyone know if the Roush Billet Grill will work for our cars? Looking at getting one but uncertain if it will fit right. Just want to open up the front airflow some.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
My hood arrived today, shipped straight to the body shop. Sent them the layout for the paint and codes (although I didn't find the code for the black... help?).

Might actually have it next week ready to install.

Almost made it to the track Saturday. They cancelled the event as forecasted snow for the afternoon. Good call as it started snowing around 3 p.m. and didn't let up until there was 4" of the stuff. Going to aim for this coming Sunday if the weather holds.

JScheier said:
My hood arrived today, shipped straight to the body shop. Sent them the layout for the paint and codes (although I didn't find the code for the black... help?).

Almost made it to the track Saturday. They cancelled the event as forecasted snow for the afternoon. Good call as it started snowing around 3 p.m. and didn't let up until there was 4" of the stuff. Going to aim for this coming Sunday if the weather holds.
Nice what layout are you going with? I don't have the paint code for the black but could ask my dealer tomorrow if you're still looking for it.

What track, HPR? Lucky dog, I won't see a track until at least late March.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Only painting the vents black.

Yes, HPR has open lapping every weekend -$100/day. Of course, you have a 50/50 chance of it being cancelled due to weather or lack of registrants (10 minimum).

cloud9 said:
JScheier said:

Nice what layout are you going with? I don't have the paint code for the black but could ask my dealer tomorrow if you're still looking for it.

What track, HPR? Lucky dog, I won't see a track until at least late March.

I had thought the paint code for black was UA? It's what I told them at the paint shop doing my spoiler and scoops.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
If either Gary or Suprmn could verify, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure this bodyshop is more than capable of figuring it out... just need reassurance ;)

From another thread I got:

Competition Orange (CY)
Performance White (HP)
Kona Blue Metallic (L6)
Yellow Blaze Metallic Tri-Coat (NQ)
Race Red (PQ)
Ingot Silver Metallic (UX)
Black (UA)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel