The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 Grille Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little grille update, Saturday was 85+ and humid. I was running 231 at high RPM's and cooled down quick. The LS there was pushing higher temps with the Boss grille stock or almost stock. I will let him say what mods were done to it since I am unsure.

As long as I stay around these temps I will be happy, we shall see when it gets over 90.

What cooling mods did you have again? I have a lot of 100+ degree track days in my future so I am trying to get it set up before it becomes an issue.

Boss 302 grille cut out like the 302S, removed weather-stripe from the rear of hood to allow a different area for the air to flow, removed the foam covering from the intake and one bottle of water wetter.

My OEM grill had a piece of foam in it, the 302S one didn't. Do you know if there is a reason for it? I was thinking maybe it keeps air from going up and around the radiator instead of through, but unfortunately I didn't think of it until after I boxed it up and tucked it away so I didn't line it up and see where it contacts.

So what does everyone think about the True Carbon grille? That is the one I keep leaning towards but I can't decide if it will look good on Kona. I have looked online for a picture on a Kona car but have not had any luck.

bolecailey said:
So what does everyone think about the True Carbon grille? That is the one I keep leaning towards but I can't decide if it will look good on Kona. I have looked online for a picture on a Kona car but have not had any luck.
I think it will look fine but I'd add some SS screen to the back of it. It would look really slick with the TruCarbon GT500 CF spoiler. ;)

I don't know if this has been posted, I didn't see it before, but with the 302S (or stocker if you don't mind cutting it) you could cut out all the bars and wire or bond in this insert. I kind of like it, from the little picture.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/FD5210B/2010-Mustang-GT-Upper-Billet-Grill-wo-Pony-Cut-Out---Polished---Free-Shipping.html

CaliMR said:
I don't know if this has been posted, I didn't see it before, but with the 302S (or stocker if you don't mind cutting it) you could cut out all the bars and wire or bond in this insert. I kind of like it, from the little picture.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/FD5210B/2010-Mustang-GT-Upper-Billet-Grill-wo-Pony-Cut-Out---Polished---Free-Shipping.html
In my first post I have links to the GT surround and billet bar grilles. It would be a lot easier than cutting up the stock grille and trying to fit those pieces in. ;)

You need to start thinking cheap, like me. I already spent more on mods on this car than anything else without a cage in it ;D

5 DOT 0 said:
The cheapest way to improve cooling is to remove the grille at the track. ;) Next cheapest is to cut up the stock grille just like the 302S grille.

I know Bigman18 pulled his on Sat. at Homestead after heating with the stock grille. I was busy messing with tires and we did not talk about cooling after he pulled it but I think he was OK after. I am not comfortable with doing this considering the crap that was throw at the car this weekend. I have the lower air intake hole screened in and pulled a lot of debris out it after every run.

Plus like Wayne said, looking good is better then driving good, right ;D

Bigman18.png

Looks like bigman's sporting some sweet mods, roll bar, hood pins and Conti slicks.......might as well spring for another $300 for the grille to look cool too ;D

I have the 302 S grille and love it. Still need to screen the opening below the grille and behind the grille if you really want to protect the radiator....

TMO Supporting Vendors