The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 Grille Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012YellowBoss said:
ihatepotholess said:
thanks Rick! looks like i need to order myself a new grille

Get a V6 emblem, only difference is different backing tape and the chrome around the red, blue and white bars is slightly raised. They are only 20-something dollars.

Thank you. Any idea where I can find one? I saw the replacement for boss, it was like 60 something.

Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
Hi Rick,

Would it be possible to take some straight shot photos of the grille directly in the sun? I think I'm going to also purchase the cobra jet grille. Thanks
Here you go.

IMG_0700.jpg

PeteInCT said:
I haven't seen a difference in temps with tk.

I did a little experiment at the Autocross last weekend. While idling waiting for my next run I found that with Trackey the car would idle about 8-9 degrees cooler. When I start the car the engine temp would be about 207. If I let it idle with the standard key, the temp would not change. If I let it idle with the Trackey, the temp would go down to 199 - 198 degrees.

just got my 302s grille and roush side splitters done :D

Splitters match the front lip really well. it almost look stock. i wanna thank Rick for this, i wouldn't have done it if i didn't see his car ;D

ihatepotholess said:
cloud9 said:
Looks good!

thanks, but i am a little disappointed with grille's quality. Ford Racing just modified the regular 302 grille (looks like a hack job :-\) and used some metal wires to connect the mesh with grille itself.
My Cobra Jet grille was the same way. While I was disappointed I broke out my Dremel and cleaned it up the way I wanted. Your car looks terrific!

5 DOT 0 said:
ihatepotholess said:
cloud9 said:
Looks good!

thanks, but i am a little disappointed with grille's quality. Ford Racing just modified the regular 302 grille (looks like a hack job :-\) and used some metal wires to connect the mesh with grille itself.
My Cobra Jet grille was the same way. While I was disappointed I broke out my Dremel and cleaned it up the way I wanted. Your car looks terrific!

Got a part number for the grill?

steve

Check the first post of this thread for all the details.

gremlinsteve said:
5 DOT 0 said:
ihatepotholess said:
cloud9 said:
Looks good!

Got a part number for the grill?

steve

I know this is kind of a bump from the graveyard, but it seemed relevant.

Has anyone had a rubbing issue where the bottom of the grill rests on the bumper? I noticed it is a thin edge that rests on the bumper when I installed the 302S grill, and I have no signs of damage, but I have only had it on about 2k miles. It just looks like in the long run it would rub the paint on the bumper and in a visible spot.

I know there just has not been enough talk about grille options, so here is my latest design. First a little back ground info. After having heat issues at Eagle Canyon Raceway in July (98 degrees) I decided to look into some grille options. I wanted as much flow as possible and the open design of the 2013 GT500 gave me an idea. So, I ordered a GT grille surround from Roush $59 and pick up some cage wire from local hardware store for 5 bucks. Here is my first go at it. What I like, very open design. What I don't like, it looks a little cheap. Its just for track days so cheap is the intent. I am not one to leave things alone, so I will most likely look into different grille material soon to improve the quality/look. I'm going to paint the wire black tomorrow and then test fit.

4683fd0c.png

Thanks Rick, that is exactly what I considering using. I wanted to start with a material I could bend by hand first and then move to something substantial if I like the design. I will post a pic this weekend after I paint and install.

Does the GT surround just snap in place like the stock and 302S grilles, or does it require retaining clips on each tab? We used a die grinder to take out more material from the backside of my 302S grille to open it up more as it tapers toward the engine bay restricting flow (stock grille is even worse). If this doesn't work I will need to go a different route and using a GT surround is one option.

06mach1 said:
Here is a link to McMasters-Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-cloth/=isbrm1
They sell the #2 .047 SS welded mesh that I use in my lower grille, which is the also same size mesh that is used in the foglight openings on the S-grille. The problem may be that you will have to buy a larger sheet than needed though due to the length of the grille.
Looks like another business opportunity for you to gin up some upper mesh grilles ;)

cloud9 said:
Does the GT surround just snap in place like the stock and 302S grilles, or does it require retaining clips on each tab? We used a die grinder to take out more material from the backside of my 302S grille to open it up more as it tapers toward the engine bay restricting flow (stock grille is even worse). If this doesn't work I will need to go a different route and using a GT surround is one option.

Gary, the GT surround fits just like the stock grille on all sides except across the bottom. It will have to be zipped tied or something. The GT surround is so open compared to stock grille that it does not cover the stock grilles bumper cover tabs. I believe with the grille mesh installed, the lower tabs will not be visible. In addition, the GT surround has slots cut in it for fog light clearance that do not follow the bump cover. This does not affect fitment and with grille mesh installed should also not be visible. I was looking to open the grille up as much as possible and still maintain a nice appearance in pictures. I’ll take some before/after pictures tonight.

Edit: I believe the stock GT insert has the tabs to mount into the bumper tabs which would explain why the surround does not. Just another reason this surround opens up the grille so much.

TMO Supporting Vendors