The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 Grille Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06mach1 said:
Here is a link to McMasters-Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-cloth/=isbrm1
They sell the #2 .047 SS welded mesh that I use in my lower grille, which is the also same size mesh that is used in the foglight openings on the S-grille. The problem may be that you will have to buy a larger sheet than needed though due to the length of the grille.

06Mach1, I may go this route on the redesign. Additionally the design of your lower grille insert would work and provide for a better fit. Thanks for the info!

Well I finally finished my trial GT grille surround install. I'm still planning an upgrade to better grille mesh material once I verify the design meets its intended purpose of improving cooling in 95+ degree Texas heat. From the beginning the goal was a low cost grille option that improved cooling at the track while still providing an appearance that was appropriate for on track pictures.

Cost:
GT grille surround: on sale $53.99 - original price $59.99 - Roush Performance
Grille mesh 1/2 opening: on sale $5.59 - original price $10.79 - Lowes

b45bfd80.png
e105d357.png
561c709f.png
c873bb63.png
5f94a7f6.png
103b0a66.png
4c81796d.png

BossDuke said:
That has to provide a significant cooling increase while looking great. Nice design and execution!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

That was the plan. If it works out as planned I will get the surround painted white and upgrade the mesh with something a little stronger.

Plan D. I still haven't really solved the cooling issue short of removing the grille completely. I've tried just about everything else. Boss 302S radiator, 302S grille, FRPP air-to-oil cooler (works great on the oil), Tiger Hood, Water Wetter and even replacing my bent up A/C condenser. Still the single biggest cooling gain comes from removing the grille completely. A friend of mine helped me hack up a 302S grille by removing the center section with the pony and the horizontal bars. To me, it's those big plastic horizontal bars that are blocking most of the air. He used a die grinder to remove the material and then I touched it up with flat black paint. I'm going to test it tomorrow at MAM where it will be near 90 degrees. I'll run with the regular 302S grille for a couple sessions, then swap this one on there. The reason I'm trying this is I'd like to keep the 302S grille for street use as I'm not that fond of the billet grilles, but they do work. If this works I'll get some wire mesh that matches the fog openings and safety wire it in this opening. It will just be a track day grille. The other billet grilles utilize "gator clips" that are not easily removed so swapping back and forth for track days would be a pain. I can have this grille swapped in 5 minutes or less (I've gotten pretty good at it ;)) If it doesn't work I'll have to consider just going to a billet style grille and live with it.

I'm not sure how many of you have seen a 2013 GT500, but it basically has no grille. There's a surround to make it look "finished", but other than that it's wide open. Therefore I'm calling this a 302S/GT500 grille :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have been planning to remove some of the cross bars to try and get better flow, I'm thinking the 2nd and 4th ones down, then putting the wire mesh behind it. But I have been lazy about it, since I haven't been able to track it with the brake issues.

Your grill looks like a rave motorcycle, I always stick my arm up to the elbow into the hole to take a picture when they are on display. Hopefully nobody has the same idea with your car ;D

I hope that works for you and I'm optimistic that will do the trick. The CJ grille is in essence one piece and installs exactly like the stock grille with no additional clips. It's probably the most expensive option though.

CobraJetGrill1.jpg

5 DOT 0 said:
I hope that works for you and I'm optimistic that will do the trick. The CJ grille is in essence one piece and installs exactly like the stock grille with no additional clips. It's probably the most expensive option though.

CobraJetGrill1.jpg
Good comparison photo. I would go that direction if it came in orange. I really like it on your car. I just don't really want to spend $600 or more after painting for a track day grille.

Fat Boss said:
Still waiting for someone to try the Shelby GT350 aluminum radiator designed for supercharged 5.0's... ???
I think I have that radiator in my GT500 if it's the one from Revan Racing. I'm not sure if it would fit the Boss though? I noticed only a "moderate" improvement if any on my GT500 so I'm not going to be the guinea pig on that one. I still contend the main issue is airflow to the radiator since by removing the grille you can drop coolant temps 10-15 degrees. The oil stays in the 230-240 range even after 30 minute sessions beating it like a rented mule, but that cooler sits out front of the condenser and radiator.

Here's the listing from the Shelby site.

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-5-0L-Extreme-Duty-Radiator-p/z12-s11m-8005-b.htm

It is a different listing than the GT500 one and it says it was developed by Shelby. My friend with a supercharged 2011 GT350 says he hasn't had any problems with overheating.

TMO Supporting Vendors