The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 LS vs. Camaro ZL1 in March MT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fresh off the presses. The Boss held up well with the techno marvel ZL1. It was nice of MT to constantly point out the additional HP advantage of the ZL1 but would have been nicer to point out the tire advantage. ;) Anyway this sets up the 2013 GT500 vs. ZL1 matchup nicely. Alright Ford where's the new GT500 so we can regain bragging rights? ;D

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1203_2012_chevrolet_camaro_zl1_vs_2012_ford_mustang_boss_302_laguna_seca/

2012-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-and-2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Laguna-Seca.jpg

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Maybe it is 2 secs per lap faster. How many laps before it heat soaks and ends up in the parts bin?

As for the comments that the Boss is hard to handle, I'm not sure what car they were driving but if the ZL1 is THAT much 'easier to drive' then I'm not interested. When was it ever a good thing that a cars feedback is more 'under control'? They make it sound like you need to be a pro to wrestle the Boss to the ground on the track.

Sorry, but I'm taking this personally... :mad: ;D

Another interesting comment was the brakes. Their braking distance was 4 feet longer than their previous test. Maybe something wasn't quite right with the brakes. If you read Randy's comments on the track diagram he points out the brakes several times and he's very familiar with the Boss. It's hard to tell from the photo but I don't see any orange brake ducts on the LS.

2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Laguna-Seca-cockpit-front-three-quarter.jpg

5 DOT 0 said:
It was nice of MT to constantly point out the additional HP advantage of the ZL1 but would have been nicer to point out the tire advantage.
I see the Camaro runs the same width tires as I do on track. I'm pretty sure the 400 lb weight savings on similar tires will offset the extra 150 hp it has for the first lap or two......until it starts pulling timing from the blower, then it's game on :p

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
It was nice of MT to constantly point out the additional HP advantage of the ZL1 but would have been nicer to point out the tire advantage.
I see the Camaro runs the same width tires as I do on track. I'm pretty sure the 400 lb weight savings on similar tires will offset the extra 150 hp it has for the first lap or two......until it starts pulling timing from the blower, then it's game on :p
Please report back when you have your first ZL1 kill. :D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I want video if you get there before I do !!! ;D

BTW - What's the sticker price on that bag of bolts going to be ?

PeteInCT said:

About $15k more than I paid for my Boss assuming no ADM on the Camaro. I can do a lot to make the Boss faster for $15k ;)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
PeteInCT said:

About $15k more than I paid for my Boss assuming no ADM on the Camaro. I can do a lot to make the Boss faster for $15k ;)

Get those new FRPP Cams installed, tuned, intake, TB, LT Headers, and the Multimatic Dampers from the 302S, still have 6-7Gs left to spend.

But this type of benchracing is pretty similar to the "Honda Civic with 30K in mods" arguments.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
Another interesting comment was the brakes. Their braking distance was 4 feet longer than their previous test. Maybe something wasn't quite right with the brakes. If you read Randy's comments on the track diagram he points out the brakes several times and he's very familiar with the Boss. It's hard to tell from the photo but I don't see any orange brake ducts on the LS.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/35125553+w786+ar1/2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Laguna-Seca-cockpit-front-three-quarter.jpg[/im]
[/quote]

Nah, they're in there.

[img]http://image.motortrend.com/f/35125556+w1500+ar1+st0/2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Laguna-Seca-cockpit-front-three-quarters-in-motion.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This is the configuration I'm guessing they ran, cutting out the two red circled areas and taking the straight bypasses. The 1:40ish laptimes would be essentially impossible in a street car on the full 21-turn config.

I would love to see some in-car video of their laps to be certain, and also to pick up some Pobst Secrets :x:

OIcac.jpg

I believe it did say the ZL1 ran the same size fronts as the boss has rears. That's a huge front tire. That's what you need when trying to get a 4100lb car to handle decently.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
Regardless of the results this is great competition and rivalry. Think of how fast and capable are cars are compared to cars from just a few years ago. I can't wait to see what's next from both Ford and Chevy. 8)

Agreed. The golden age of Detroit Muscle wasn't the late 60s, it's right now.

Hey guys I owned a 2010 camaro ss loaded the best of everything and I will say its crap next to the boss I traded it in for I mean it did not even compare at all those camaro's are not what they are saying and if it has a supercharger well read deeper more into the build of the motor read deeper of the problems people who own them have been haveing thus the reason why I started looking and hell they have alot of motor noises that just did not give me any confidence at all in it. My only bad of the mustang is how the heck to hook the tires up on the street shock adjustment ?

TMO Supporting Vendors