The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 2012 Boss 302 LS Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Before you get lowering springs , I would definitely look into a set of Vorshlag Camber Plates ( site sponsor ) because you really need some negative camber up front for turn in and extra tire life on track , just to name a few benefits. Also for crisp shifting check out the website www.mgwltd.com for the absolute best short throw shift kit on the market for the MT-82 transmission. It is the gold standard and well worth the extra over other systems. Have fun researching things for your beautiful Boss, but never hesitate to ask questions or request help ---- everyone here is quite friendly and willing to assist. The big question we all have for Trackrats in BC is whether they have gotten to run at Area 27?

Again Welcome, and knowing how Ford, GM, FCA send limited models to Canada, you likely have one of only around 75-100 Black/Red LS models in all of the Provinces.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Delta, BC
Before you get lowering springs , I would definitely look into a set of Vorshlag Camber Plates ( site sponsor ) because you really need some negative camber up front for turn in and extra tire life on track , just to name a few benefits. Also for crisp shifting check out the website www.mgwltd.com for the absolute best short throw shift kit on the market for the MT-82 transmission. It is the gold standard and well worth the extra over other systems. Have fun researching things for your beautiful Boss, but never hesitate to ask questions or request help ---- everyone here is quite friendly and willing to assist. The big question we all have for Trackrats in BC is whether they have gotten to run at Area 27?

Again Welcome, and knowing how Ford, GM, FCA send limited models to Canada, you likely have one of only around 75-100 Black/Red LS models in all of the Provinces.

Appreciate the insight on camber plates. Factory raked stance sits too high for me. My other ride is a 2006 M3 comp pkg with KW coilovers with adj dampening. It loves the corners.
Back in the day I had a 86 GT and missed the roar of the V8’s and this one hits all the marks.
Thanks

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The fastest trick with the Boss 302 to go quick is getting more meat on the ground , and it will take an 18 x11 ( 25 mm spacer up front ). Filling up the wheel wells with 305/18 used Pirellis or Michelin race slicks , or the plethora of 315/18 200 TWR rubber , or DOT Comp tires is the ticket , so was just bringing the idea up as you may not want to lower too much so you can fit the sticky donuts in there without rubbing. No worries you have plenty of down time in the Winter to check all kinds of things, just a friendly little thought - I have plenty of down time too, haha. Agree the car looks high , so just a little word of caution and nothing more.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good idea and the non-Ford parts you use just make sure to keep your original parts. Good example would be an MGW short throw shift kit ( the gold standard ) because once installed you will never go back to the stock unit. This makes a huge difference with the stock Boss shifter and almost everyone who tracks with the MT-82 tranny installs one. Another example would be Vorshlag Camber Plates ( site sponsor ) as they will give you the most range of the products out there and you really need some negative camber up front for the track. Just keep those stock parts and you are fine, but I completely agree with the rarity you want to make sure you can put it back to stock - there are very, very few Silver LSs out there!!

TMO Supporting Vendors