The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 boss 302 shut off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was at the NCM track today. First time on a track for a 4 lap session in preparation for a full day this coming Saturday. On Lap 4 the car flashed the engine light and then shut completely off. Tried to restart and it would turn over, but not start. Towed to garage and about 30 min later it started and ran fine. Temperature was good and oil pressure was good. Drove it home and all was fine. Track key was in during and the engine temperature was about 225+ at the time it shut off. Help Why would it shut down?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Yes I just had it read. It was P0300: Random, Multiple Misfire Detected Car drove to get tested fine and even ran it hard and it was fine. No code is showing. Just additional information, 2012 boss LS, no modifications, 2100 miles

With such low miles, I would bet this TSB has not been performed on the car. Pretty simple fix for less than $30 to replace the crankshaft position sensor with the o-ring style if you don’t feel like taking it into the dealer. Are you the original owner? If not, perhaps call the dealer to have them check service records to see if this has been done.

TSB 13-06-15 Random Misfire Code and O-Ring Fix

https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...ford-issued-technical-service-bulletins.5800/

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Ford has the o ring. They want $200 to put it in the car. The o ring is $3.90. Is this something that can be done at home? Just unbolt, put on the o ring and replace it in the block? What does the o ring actually do for the postion sensor? Thanks
It’s a really simple replacement - one bolt that holds the sensor in. The sensor is located behind the right hand cylinder head - down near where the bell housing bolts to the block. Google the TSB # referenced above and you’ll find a pdf of the actual Ford bulletin with pictures. No way that I would pay $200 for this install - it’s really that simple.

As far as function, the o-ring isolates the sensor from vibrations and “noise” from the engine and transmission.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pittsburgh PA
Got the same code tracking my 012 Boss this summer. Ordered the o-ring thru Amazon and will be installing shortly. Awesome advice as this was driving me crazy.

Thanks!

Ford has the o ring. They want $200 to put it in the car. The o ring is $3.90. Is this something that can be done at home? Just unbolt, put on the o ring and replace it in the block? What does the o ring actually do for the postion sensor? Thanks
Just took out the sensor and it has the o ring already installed. Guess I will not be going to the track this weekend.
Any other ideas? If it got hot and did not throw up a engine overheat light I wonder why the car stopped?
Thanks

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pittsburgh PA
FYI, I was thinking about adding a 2nd o-ring since I didn’t think it would hurt anything and would just get chewed up in the flywheel worst case.

I googled the actual TSB and it looks like you are actually supposed to add the 2nd o-ring per the attached photo. Who knew? I’ll try it and report back in 2 weeks. I have back to back TNiA and a HPDE.

0F272291-748A-4FCA-B7EF-CE0B5A20A99F.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pittsburgh PA
Threw a 0030 code at yesterday’s HPDE after putting an o-ring on the original crank sensor.

Threw a new sensor in last night. We’ll see if I get a code at tonight’s TNiA.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Threw a 0030 code at yesterday’s HPDE after putting an o-ring on the original crank sensor.

Threw a new sensor in last night. We’ll see if I get a code at tonight’s TNiA.
Did you perform the crank relearn procedure after the o-ring install, and now after the new sensor install?

TMO Supporting Vendors