The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 boss 302 whine noise-please help diagnose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1oX024bi8g&context=C4901545ADvjVQa1PpcFNxdDzZzvITC5_Aii5g-Wp2kphczsBfDP8=
Does anybody have any ideas where this whine is coming from? The dealer thought it was the ring and pinion but changing them had no affect. It seems to be speed based-not rpm- being most significant around 80 mph.

Are you sure it is the diff?

It does sound like a ring/pinion death whine, but it could also be bearings. Not the wheel bearings, those make a different type of noise, but maybe there is some other bearing in there that they did not change. If they can't figure it out, have them replace the whole unit under warranty.

I'm not sure what it is but it's not right. Good luck getting it resolved.

I have low speed drivetrain whine(my wife said it sounds like a siren), but nothing like that. I attribute mine to less sound deadening and the Torsen, so not worried about it. That noise I would be worried about!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Wow. Since it's speed based you might want to have your wheel bearings examined (and axle bearings in the rear). Does the car pull to one side without steering input?

You can usually diagnose wheel bearings by doing tight circles forward and reverse both directions, but it usually has a growl, not a high pitch whine. Sounds more like a bad solid bearing (assuming not gear noise since that was changed). I don't know enough about the Boss rear end to know if it has any of those.

What of it's none of the above and it's a body panel or something that's misaligned and basically whistling as air passes though some hole or gap. Faster you go the more air the high the whine? Until the laws of physics take over and it simply can't push though more and levels off to a constant around 80mph. I don't know how you would find that though. :-\

Very difficult from a video but here goes. Get it at the higher speed for the noise and kick it into neutral. Not coasting with the clutch depresed. If the noise goes away The ring and pinion, pinion bearings, housing, center carrier, throw out bearing, or metal to metal contact under load between drive train and body are prime suspects. If the noise stays all the bearings are suspect including the center carrier or believe it or not wind noise, yes it can howl just like a bearing.
The video lead me to believe that under light load the noise is pronounced and under deceleration it is all but gone. If true then ring and pinion, pinion and carrier bearings, center carrier, and an intake leak are prime targets. If changing the load on the motor very slightly does not vary the noise the rear diff in total except wheel bearings is not a prime suspect.
Nothing works, drive up to the loud noise level and play gently with the clutch petal without disengaging.
I was a certified GM dealer mechanic that specialized in cronic customer problems like yours. They are usually hard to find but simple fixes once found. Document your visits and be polite but firm. After a couple of visits to the dealer ask the service manager to take your problem to Ford ( ask nicely but firm and show him your video and docs.)
Also if possible try putting it on a rolling dyno.
Personally from the video it sounds like ring and pinion due to a poor pattern onder load. If the new ring and pinion show poor pattern or wear you probably need a complete new diff.

I played the video for the Service Manager and he is going to send it to Ford. I am still thinking Ring and Pinion because it whines under load and instantly goes quite when I coast. The dealers tech guy has worked on axles at this dealership since 1978, so I would think he would know how to set one up. I guess I will just have to wait and see what Ford says.

I have run into problems like this before not on my boss but with gov motors you can request being a new car a new rear end. Had a motor problem on a camaro they played around I said stop and put a new motor in it this is a new car not a used one well they did.

I am confused. Are the posts from Tflong24 and shu2ski the same on this topic? If so you are right it sounds like pinion whine, But it may not be. I have seen in person housings set up by true proffessionals perfectly that have flaws that do not hold the lash properly. This is very rare in the GM world but tooling can fail while making a part and get by inspection. That being said opening the rear housing and taking a pattern on the gear must be done. If good carefully inspect the actual wear pattern. If this looks good then put a half thou indicator on the pinion and pry on it. I must not move!!!!!! If it does not do the same for the carrier. It must not move!!!!!! If it does not look further for less likely failure. Carrier, trans output needles, pinion to deep into ring gear, after market shifter causing metal to metal contact to the body, and many other small details. Another trick to save time is put some wildly thick diff lube in and take it for a short run you know will make the noise and you must be the driver. If it does not change you have eliminated the prime suspect. Please do not leave in the thick stuff bad mojo.

shu2ski,

Sorry you are having a problem. Obviously, it is hard to diagnose from a video but I agree with many others that it sounds like pinion whine. What is weird to me is that you said the R&P were replaced and you have the same results. This would lessen (for me) the R&P as a candidate. People also have said a wheel bearing - another possibility for sure.... but it doesn't really sound like that. I'd like to also sugest that it could be the driveshaft, u-joint, or center bearing support. All of these items we mentioned are turning the same speed at 80MPH, regardless of what gear you are in. The other thing you said in the video was that it seems louder when the car is warm - which could equate to when the gear oil is warm..... which would tend to lessen the chances of a driveshaft culprit.

Hmmmm. If it was me, I'd pop the driveshaft off at the pinion yolk and then I would test the pinion yolk for any free-play and for normal drag characteristics.

I hope you get the problem resolved very soon - and wish we could be of more help. :(

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CoolTechLLC said:
shu2ski,

Sorry you are having a problem. Obviously, it is hard to diagnose from a video but I agree with many others that it sounds like pinion whine. What is weird to me is that you said the R&P were replaced and you have the same results. This would lessen (for me) the R&P as a candidate. People also have said a wheel bearing - another possibility for sure.... but it doesn't really sound like that. I'd like to also sugest that it could be the driveshaft, u-joint, or center bearing support. All of these items we mentioned are turning the same speed at 80MPH, regardless of what gear you are in. The other thing you said in the video was that it seems louder when the car is warm - which could equate to when the gear oil is warm..... which would tend to lessen the chances of a driveshaft culprit.

Hmmmm. If it was me, I'd pop the driveshaft off at the pinion yolk and then I would test the pinion yolk for any free-play and for normal drag characteristics.

I hope you get the problem resolved very soon - and wish we could be of more help. :(
that was my guess in a previous post.....
boss2511 said:
I cant watch the video here at work but perhaps the carrier bearing on the driveshaft?

I had a rear axle noise issue. Finally, Ford replaced the entire rear axle assembly last fall. No problems since! See the thread on this:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/axle-bearing-failure/msg13381/#msg13381

Just got my car back from the Dealer, no more whine.
They installed a new ring & pinion and bearings.
The Dealer was very good in all ways.
I can't believe how quite the car is now!

shu2ski said:
Just got my car back from the Dealer, no more whine.
They installed a new ring & pinion and bearings.
The Dealer was very good in all ways.
I can't believe how quite the car is now!

Glad they got it fixed. Originally I thought your sound was like mine but it's not. Mine is more of a metal to metal scraping sound and it is there all the time the car is moving. I doesn't matter if I'm on the gas, off the gas, or costing in neutral, it always there. I can only really hear mine if the rear seat is folded down. What do you guys think it is?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zzbqCwVxoLE[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors