The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 2012 Boss 302 Yellow Blaze Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ok, Blaze, only T56 Magnum XL listed under mods , but.............................that gives us a clue you have been doing your homework and gotta believe there are a bunch more changes ( tires, rims, camber plates, suspension mods, brake upgrades , etc. ) so fess up and let us know the whole mod madness. Good thing is you can go in and edit the Bad Ass Bumblebee and tell us more about what makes it sting?

Just saying..............enquiring minds want to know?

So i purchased the car last year and then covit hit.

It is my first stick, so, i had some time to really learn that. I recently was preparing to take the training here in Seattle to track it, but found out that the MT-82 was at his EoL, and decided to go with the T-56, along with a 1-piece aluminium driveshaft, and a dual disc ceramic clutch.

I am still breaking in the new transmission, but while i am at it, i am trying to figure out what tires and wheels should i purchase for tracking it.

My intention is to use this car as daily driver, so i can keep my current wheels, then get eventually to the track and swap the wheels there.

I want to maybe use the same kind of wheels, just with different kind of tire to make the swap as easy as possible.

Any recommendations for tires? It rains in seattle as you might now already, but i would like to buy track-only tires so that if i get better at this then the tires would not be a problem at least for the mid term.

Definitely need tires since the current back tires that i have where fixed with a plug...

Thanks for the feedback!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Many of us started off driving to the track with our track tires and rims in the trunk and back seat , so we understand your thoughts and enthusiasm. You will get differing thoughts , but if you are keeping your stock rims and tires for the street you should look at considering getting a square set of rims, so your can rotate your tires all around. This will help you the most with wear, regardless if you are doing track time or even auto crossing.

My suggestions would be to go with an 18x11 Apex 52mm rim, the disadvantage will be you will need to put in long ARP studs ( a great idea if you are tracking the car , regardless ), 25 mm spacers up front, and you should also get camber plates up front ( Vorshlag has the most adjustment, another good brand is M&M ).

If you drive to the track and then switch rims/tires, you will have a huge array of tire choices. If you change tires at home and drive to the track, you will want to look at the various brands available with a 200 Tread Wear rating. Plenty of choices and one suggestion is the 315/30/18 BFG Rival S 1.5 may be one of the best for dual purpose.

Cool time of the year , so great time to get plenty of info from members and make your decision.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Welcome!
I'll second Bills assessment.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts