The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302S winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo said:
Part number for the rubber elephant trunk? Is it a GT500 or Cobra Jet part?
Looks awesome.
Steve
I think we got it from a heavy truck parts supplier , I will ask our parts guy tomorrow

Made a new shifter cover plate , had to hack up the factory piece for the Boss R gearbox , was going to powder coat it but went for the carbon look instead

image_zpsacb34edc.jpg
image_zpsaa299a34.jpg

You need one of the sequential gearboxes like your Kiwi friends have. :p

It could be lighter if we were just running sprint races , the large fuel cell , double dry-break , trans cooler and windshield blower all add weight .
A proper racing transmission and small clutch and flywheel are about the only significant areas left for weight savings .
Does anyone know the weight on the ford racing oil pan , I was curious who much an aluminum pan would be in comparison to the steel one .

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
So how did the dyno go with the new engine?

Also--on the Optic Armor stuff--was it truly "Drop In" (with the exception of the rivets etc)? Or was there some preparation/trimming/fitting required?

Dyno went fine but we had problems at the 6 hour enduro and had to withdraw from the race while leading . Motor is apart right now and we put the stock one back in for the Portland event last weekend . We won the 1 hour race and finished second in the sprint race
The optic Armor is a true drop-in and does not require any trimming. I did end up putting a centre support as the windshield was vibrating over 150 mph

ArizonaBOSS said:
So how did the dyno go with the new engine?

Also--on the Optic Armor stuff--was it truly "Drop In" (with the exception of the rivets etc)? Or was there some preparation/trimming/fitting required?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel