The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302S winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doing a little winter weight reduction , carbon roof , trunk lid , new wing support and dry brake mount, optic armor
polycarbonate windshield and some steel roof structure removal

DSCN2553_zps65e69121.jpg
DSCN2555_zps51da3722.jpg
DSCN2563_zps0be39c2b.jpg
DSCN2557_zpsd4587e3b.jpg
DSCN2561_zps4b97c448.jpg

You should leave the roof as such and say you have a sun roof option from Ford. You know the whole glass roof option just made lightweight for racing.

Sean said:
You should leave the roof as such and say you have a sun roof option from Ford. You know the whole glass roof option just made lightweight for racing.

I could leave the windshield and rear window off also , to get the whole sports racer feeling and save some more weight !

Nice work. How much weight will you lose and what will be the total weight when you're finished?

NFSBOSS said:
Nice work. How much weight will you lose and what will be the total weight when you're finished?

The carbon roof is 13 pounds lighter than the steel one and we removed 15 pounds from the roof structure , the
windshield is 15 pounds lighter than the stock glass and the rear trunk lid , latch, and hinges save around 30 pounds . I am not sure on the exact number on total weight , but will update when it is back together and I can scale the car

ArizonaBOSS said:
Lookin good! Did you have any problems with the wing mounted to the stock trunk or is the reinforcement strictly for the CF lid?
Just for the CF trunk lid , it is really thin , weighs 3 pounds

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
bbrgt said:
Just for the CF trunk lid , it is really thin , weighs 3 pounds

Got it. How much do the new supports weigh? :)

You planning to go out for some endurance events with the dual-dry-break system & fuel cell?

ArizonaBOSS said:
Got it. How much do the new supports weigh? :)

You planning to go out for some endurance events with the dual-dry-break system & fuel cell?

The wing supports are square tube aluminium and weight about 3-4 pounds .
The dry break has been on the car since last year , we just relocated it as we will not be opening the trunk for refuelling
with the CF trunk lid .
We actually did 3 endurance races this year , we won the 6 hours of the Cascades at The Ridge Motorsports Park and
finished 2nd at the mini enduros at Pacific Raceways and Portland .
We led most of the race at Pacific but lost 1st overall during our pit stop and could not make up the time on the track

NFSBOSS said:
Nice is that your car? it looks like it's trying to be a Mustang with the LeMans/Shelby stripes. :D
Yes it's an ex SCCA WC car and ran in the ALMS GTC class in 2010 with James Sofronas and Bret Curtis

bbrgt said:
Yes it's an ex SCCA WC car and ran in the ALMS GTC class in 2010 with James Sofronas and Bret Curtis
So it's a 997 Cup car? Can you compare and contrast it with the 302S? I'm also a big Porsche fan and from my perspective the Mustang and Porsche 911 have shared a lot of similarities over the years but not necessarily driving dynamics.

NFSBOSS said:
That's interesting. So was that the Boss that Roger was racing in WC?
No Roger crashed in practice at Long Beach and Paul had a brand new 13 S at their shop which Paul sold to Roger on the Saturday of the race. Mark Wilson knew I had the 13 so they called me that morning and my car replaced Paul's original car .

NFSBOSS said:
So it's a 997 Cup car? Can you compare and contrast it with the 302S? I'm also a big Porsche fan and from my perspective the Mustang and Porsche 911 have shared a lot of similarities over the years but not necessarily driving dynamics.
Yes it's an 08 Cup car with a 3.8 litre and some RSR suspension upgrades, Cup S fenders , bigger Brembo's , Premier fuel cell , shorter gearing and upgraded Sachs double adjustable coil overs .
It is completely different to drive than the S , a lot stiffer and a more direct and heavy feel to the brakes and steering .
It weighs 2650 and has around 475 hp and with the sequential gearbox it accelerates better than the Boss .It is also
really good on the brakes , but with no ABS you have to be careful that you don't flat spot the unloaded front tire .
You do have to drive the car differently than the Boss to go fast , but it is a fast , fun car as is the Boss . The S is easier
to drive fast , but ultimately the Cup is the faster race car . My best lap time at Portland is a 1:09.3 in the Cup car and
a 1:12.3 in the Boss S

At Pacific Raceways the Boss S fast lap is a 1:27.7 and the Cup car a 1:25.3 , but the S will be faster next year with
the better tires , more power and lighter weight . The Boss should be in the 1:26xx next season at Pacific Raceways
and the 1:10xx at Portland .

TMO Supporting Vendors