The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss......Mod or Not to Mod????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVO WOODY

Cruising Southern Ontario
Canada
I'm new to the Boss and this forum so I'm hoping it's not been done to death. So on my 2012 Boss I put on Roush over axle and an Eibach Pro Kit. I really want to giver her a go at the local track near me on the twisties of the road course but would also like to give her a go in a straight line. I have a JLT Carbon Fibre CAI and SCT Tuner I could strap on BUT I've also read all the different views on the track key and that it can't be used with any mods, so my question is are we better off to go after market and find a guy qualified to tune the snot right out of her to maximize this beast or is what Ford has done all that's required. Even suspension parts like LCA, Panhard, headers etc?? ANY constructive assistance would be greatly appreciated

Welli have mine modded and such
And its tuned

I also used the sct. Its making more power
And i would not return it to stock so i could
Use the track key

I am happy. Do what you want. Not what
Other want

Steve-o

SVO WOODY

Cruising Southern Ontario
Canada
I like the whole idea of doing the mods and making the car my own, IMHO I can always put the car back to stock if need be and then activate the track key if curiosity got the better of me. Thanks for the input Steve

gremlinsteve said:
Welli have mine modded and such
And its tuned

I also used the sct. Its making more power
And i would not return it to stock so i could
Use the track key

I am happy. Do what you want. Not what
Other want

Steve-o

Do what makes you happy! Its your car and its there for your enjoyment. Me personally, I am a purist and am leaving mine bone stock. That doesn't make mine better or worse, it just makes it my own. There is no right or wrong answer to your question.

TK enhances the driving experience and makes the Boss feel more like a race car. It does not enhance performance. So from your description of what you want to do I'd go aftermarket tune. I really like TK but it will be useless if you mod the motor.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
SVO WOODY said:
I'm new to the Boss and this forum so I'm hoping it's not been done to death. So on my 2012 Boss I put on Roush over axle and an Eibach Pro Kit. I really want to giver her a go at the local track near me on the twisties of the road course but would also like to give her a go in a straight line. I have a JLT Carbon Fibre CAI and SCT Tuner I could strap on BUT I've also read all the different views on the track key and that it can't be used with any mods, so my question is are we better off to go after market and find a guy qualified to tune the snot right out of her to maximize this beast or is what Ford has done all that's required. Even suspension parts like LCA, Panhard, headers etc?? ANY constructive assistance would be greatly appreciated

IMHO - leave the engine alone, go the route of modding the suspension and you'll have a blast on a road course. You can squeeze only so much more out of that design before you start with expensive additional hardware. Ford has not left much on the table at all with this engine. If the 1/4 mile is your gig you may have bought the wrong car, although it can hold it's own pretty well. You can always add HP one way or another, but at some point you set yourself up for less total hours before catastrophic failure. For me, it's about reliability and performance on road courses. I don't need more than the 400 HP at my rear wheels to handle many cars on the track. If I had an unlimited budget I may feel otherwise, but for now she stays as-is ;D

Sesshomurai

I would actually say TK does enhance performance just not numerical performance like HP/torque etc.

I recently did an SCT tune with CAI and lost some things about TK that allowed me to throttle steer effectively on track (such as decel throttle response).

I since had them re-tune the original tune to add deceleration throttle response back in, which TK provides. I still don't have the throttle response of TK but its a bit better.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel