The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 boss or 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
Thanks 5 Dot 0. The dealer has said they can add Bluetooth for about $200.00 and I've asked him to let me know the name of the kit and if it will pair with my Blackberry.

The questions I have are so numerous I'm not even sure where to begin. This has been the most informative forum I've found but as I find answers, new questions arise.

Cheers!

Welcome to BMO Boomer. One consideration for you since you're going to track the car is the potential cooling issue. The 2013 looks to be a little more "track ready" with the vented hood and revised grille. If you go with the 2012 you'll probably have to make some mods if you drive aggressively and/or live where it's hot and/or at elevation. Mine's in the body shop right now getting the Tiger Racing hood after installing a 302S radiator and grille weren't enough for me. If styling doesn't matter to you, the '13 is probably a better option, although we don't have any owner validation that the cooling is improved. However, making the '12 work can be as simple as pulling your grille on track days so it's definitely not a show stopper if you go that route.

welcome BMO boomer, the Sync to me is like the radio: if you need it, then maybe a Boss is not for you. as to its efficiency: I mean with the side exhaust opened and aftermarket ABs, I seriously doubt the Sync feature will understand your commands ( let alone with the windows down). as far as MY choice, just go for the one your guts like, dont rationalise which one is rarer. I was reading that ivy yellow was a color option in 70 for Boss 302, yet no one ever ordered one that way (^^), I mean there is a reason why rare combos are rare: they're not everybody's first choice. if you want rare for MY2012: Yellow with White Stripes: yes its rare, ... but yes it's .... ugly hence why it's rare...if you like it good but I would never buy a car I dont like just because its rare///

5 DOT 0 said:
There was nothing specifically added to the 2013 Boss 302 to entice buyers. All the changes to the 2013 Boss were added to the base GT, which the Boss is based on, and flowed through to the Boss. There are no new options and actually there are two less options for 2013 compared to 2012. One free beer to the first person that correctly posts the two less options. ;)

Good point. The electronic dash doo-dad isn't technically an option. Neither is SYNC. And both are available on the other models, so ... there isn't anything new to entice owners to the '13, except the styling changes.

Along those lines, for "less options" i'm going to guess Yellow Blaze Tri-coat Metallic as one of the options they dropped >.>
Although it was replaced on the order sheet with Gotta Have It Green Tri-coat.

I don't remember seeing the floor mats / car cover option on the '13 sheet. Is it still there?

Mike_B_SVT said:
Good point. The electronic dash doo-dad isn't technically an option. Neither is SYNC. And both are available on the other models, so ... there isn't anything new to entice owners to the '13, except the styling changes.

Along those lines, for "less options" i'm going to guess Yellow Blaze Tri-coat Metallic as one of the options they dropped >.>

I don't remember seeing the floor mats / car cover option on the '13 sheet. Is it still there?
The mats/car cover are still an option. There is one less color option and one less stripe option available for 2013. So other than changes to the entire model lineup there are no new options for the 2013 Boss 302. SBY is available on Boss and LS cars (there was no crossover for 2012) and only black stripes are available on 2013 Boss cars where some cars had white or black stripe options for 2012.

The black/red combo is my favorite for 2012 and I think the black/grey combo is going to look liller for 2013.

Here's a photoshop of a 2012 in black/grey.

final4g.jpg

I like them both but I think the 2012 is a little more daring/hardcore due to the decals. That may end up being the thing that makes the 2012 more desirable in the long term.

5 DOT 0 said:
Mike_B_SVT said:

The mats/car cover are still an option. There is one less color option and one less stripe option available for 2013. So other than changes to the entire model lineup there are no new options for the 2013 Boss 302. SBY is available on Boss and LS cars (there was no crossover for 2012) and only black stripes are available on 2013 Boss cars where some cars had white or black stripe options for 2012.

The black/red combo is my favorite for 2012 and I think the black/grey combo is going to look liller for 2013.

Here's a photoshop of a 2012 in black/grey.

final4g.jpg

So when the term 'enticements' was brought up, I think that most of us were thinking availability of order options from the entire Mustang catalogue (not the options specific to the Boss)... Isn't SYNC available on any Mustang for 2012? Is/was it available on the 2012 Boss? Weren't all of the colors (except CO) available for all Mustangs? Could you buy your Boss in any color? Personally, I think that the enticements for 2013 will be that more of the regular Mustang features will be available in terms of creature comforts, paint colors, etc. when they were not available for the 2012. And with the exception of the Boss engine (which Ford promised would remain exlcusive to the Boss), you can almost Boss-ize a Mustang GT for next year. I've said it before, but the 2012 was designed to appeal to the driving enthusiast (not a lot of options, but just thrills), and the 2013 will likely appeal more to the masses (more frills and thrills). Of course, I haven't seen the order guide, so maybe I am completely out of line.

Regardless of what year you have/desire ('69, '70, '12 or '13), they all have a uniqueness that appeals to their owners/fans. I wanted a '12 because I have a '69, and it looks pretty hot seeing the two cars side by side, each dressed in yellow with the C-stripes. I suspect that there wil be some '70 owners wanting to have a 2013 for similar reasons. I still think that the '69 Boss looks like the most menacing Mustang ever assembled, with its stance, 4-light grill, and stripped-down, no frills package. I get the same feel from the 2012 (even though I personally think it ended up two headlights short), and I was hooked the moment I saw it. Regardless of taste or style one prefers, we cannot overlook the obvious: These cars ROCK!! Merry Christmas Boss owners!! I think we all feel like Santa came early this year!

So on another note, I live in a smaller town outside of Houston, and to this day, I do not recall seeing any National ad campaigns for Boss 302s coming out from Ford. If they exist, I would love to know of them. It seems like Ford has kept this car exclusively for the enthusiast, with no real intent of letting others in on our little secret. It will be interesting to see if this changes for the 2013s.

CEO_five-0 said:
So when the term 'enticements' was brought up, I think that most of us were thinking availability of order options from the entire Mustang catalogue (not the options specific to the Boss)... Isn't SYNC available on any Mustang for 2012? Is/was it available on the 2012 Boss?
For the 2012 MY SYNC was available on all packages except the base V6/GT. The Boss is based on the base GT so SYNC is not available on the 2012 Boss.

CEO_five-0 said:
Weren't all of the colors (except CO) available for all Mustangs?
Yes.

CEO_five-0 said:
Could you buy your Boss in any color?
No, only five colors for the Boss and two for the LS.

That's weird. One thing about the 8.8s, they're darn near bullet proof. I pity mine on my GT500 and am pleasantly surprised that it hasn't disintegrated after all I've put it through. I'm sure your dealer will have you fixed up with a new one under warranty soon. Any part can fail, but that's one I haven't heard go too often. Guys are putting 700+ rwhp through them on their GT500s with sticky tires and not regularly blowing them up.

MLM

Mike
cloud9 said:
That's weird. One thing about the 8.8s, they're darn near bullet proof. I pity mine on my GT500 and am pleasantly surprised that it hasn't disintegrated after all I've put it through. I'm sure your dealer will have you fixed up with a new one under warranty soon. Any part can fail, but that's one I haven't heard go too often. Guys are putting 700+ rwhp through them on their GT500s with sticky tires and not regularly blowing them up.

That's a good point, these things have proven that they can take abuse, so I don't see how it could have been caused by any design flaw. What troubles me is that this car has been babied so far (big time), has not even seen anything close to WOT yet. Only had it seven weeks. Just bopping around town, mostly. Hopefully it's only a manufacturing defect. Hope to know in a few days.

TMO Supporting Vendors