The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 boss or 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had a chance to speak with a good friend of mine who works in sales mostly mustangs and picked his brain on maybe trading for a 2013 he thought that that would be a bad idea for resale later on.His reason being was that there was a projected build for 2012 of 3000 bosses and that they were going to build for 2013, 1500 more than the 2012 which in his opinion was gonna make the 2012 model a better car to have and it was the first yr they brought back the boss.Just his opinion.
(Your thoughts)
Phil

I was told 3250 regular Bosses and 750 LS's per model year for a 2 year run, so I question the legitimacy of his claim. That said, resale for a newer car is generally better, ergo a 2013 will be worth a little more than a 2012 since it's newer, all other things equal (mileage, condition, etc.) ;)

Only time will tell which year Boss will be more desirable. I think we'll all know the answer sooner than we think. Maybe four or five years down the road. For most cars the more recent year would be more desirable but the Boss could be different as it is unique and there will be fans of both body styles.

As stated I only know that My friend said that there was a projection to build 1500 more 2013 than the 3250, 2012 models.
Phil

blazin boss said:
As stated I only know that My friend said that there was a projection to build 1500 more 2013 than the 3250, 2012 models.
Phil
I'm thinking that Ford will stick to the initial projections for each year. I'm with others here that speculate that if the Boss continues after 2013 MY it will be a 351.

I have to hope Ford will keep it restricted but wish that anyone who wants one can have one. The 2012 is the one I wanted because of the Competition Orange. I'm sure other buyer's will want everything the 2013 offers. If and when a 2014 comes out and if it is a 351 I will have a really hard (or expensive) decision to make. Just might have to own 2 Bosses.

Well, if they base production on numbers ordered, then I would anticipate FEWER being built in 2013.
Look at past history of "2 year production run" models. Fewer '04 Cobras than '03 Cobras. Same for '03/04 Mach 1's. How have the Sheby's fared in thier roughly 2 year cycle of improvements?

Figure most of the people who really want one will order one as soon as possible (i.e. 2012) and get the first year of production. Some folks will have to wait, for whatever reason ~ money, color choice, etc, and they will get the 2nd year production. Also figure there are folks who really want one and will buy them 1 year used instead of buying the 2nd production year. These ppl could simply like the 1st year scheme better, or just makes more financial sense for them. But that still results in few orders for the 2nd year cars.

Now, that doesn't mean the 2nd year cars will be more / less desireable down the road, it just means there will probably be few of them around. In that regard, I think relative rarity will help keep the value of the 2nd year cars comparable to the value of the first year cars.

That's how I see it anyhow.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Here's a question. How many 1969 vs. 1970 Boss Mustangs were made. I wonder if those who ordered a 2012 may have had or liked the 1969 version and the same for the 2013/1970. Not sure it would be scientific but it could be some kind of indicator.

Mike_B_SVT said:
Well, if they base production on numbers ordered, then I would anticipate FEWER being built in 2013.
Look at past history of "2 year production run" models. Fewer '04 Cobras than '03 Cobras. Same for '03/04 Mach 1's. How have the Sheby's fared in thier roughly 2 year cycle of improvements?

Figure most of the people who really want one will order one as soon as possible (i.e. 2012) and get the first year of production. Some folks will have to wait, for whatever reason ~ money, color choice, etc, and they will get the 2nd year production. Also figure there are folks who really want one and will buy them 1 year used instead of buying the 2nd production year. These ppl could simply like the 1st year scheme better, or just makes more financial sense for them. But that still results in few orders for the 2nd year cars.

Now, that doesn't mean the 2nd year cars will be more / less desireable down the road, it just means there will probably be few of them around. In that regard, I think relative rarity will help keep the value of the 2nd year cars comparable to the value of the first year cars.

That's how I see it anyhow.
Maybe but that didn't happen with the 1969/1970 Boss 302's. They made almost 4x in the second year.

1628 in 69 (I think) and 7,013 in 70 some say 7,012 ?

But there was a reason, they needed to make 1,500 in 69 and 7,000 in 70 for homologating the Boss 302 for Trans-Am racing.

5 DOT 0 said:
Maybe but that didn't happen with the 1969/1970 Boss 302's. They made almost 4x in the second year.

True, but like 2012YellowBoss said, they needed to meet a certain production number for racing. Also, they introduced the '69 Boss late in the year ~ so only about a half year of production. IIRC, they added "comforts" to the '70 in order to entice buyers so that they could sell enough to meet the req's.

Today, I think they added comforts to the '13 cars for the same reason: entice buyers so that we can sell them to the fellahs who didnt' buy a '12. And it will work, but I think they will be lucky if they sell the same number of 13's as they do 12's.

Mike_B_SVT said:
Today, I think they added comforts to the '13 cars for the same reason: entice buyers so that we can sell them to the fellahs who didnt' buy a '12. And it will work, but I think they will be lucky if they sell the same number of 13's as they do 12's.
There was nothing specifically added to the 2013 Boss 302 to entice buyers. All the changes to the 2013 Boss were added to the base GT, which the Boss is based on, and flowed through to the Boss. There are no new options and actually there are two less options for 2013 compared to 2012. One free beer to the first person that correctly posts the two less options. ;)

5 DOT 0 said:
Mike_B_SVT said:
There was nothing specifically added to the 2013 Boss 302 to entice buyers. All the changes to the 2013 Boss were added to the base GT, which the Boss is based on, and flowed through to the Boss. There are no new options and actually there are two less options for 2013 compared to 2012. One free beer to the first person that correctly posts the two less options. ;)

hmm, the engine block heater is one of them :) , half a beer??? XD

MLM

Mike
5 DOT 0 said:
There are no new options and actually there are two less options for 2013 compared to 2012. One free beer to the first person that correctly posts the two less options. ;)

I'm gonna guess that the two options not available for 2013 are the ability to order Recaros and Torsen separately in Canada. :-\

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
This is exactly my problem. Trying to decide between the model years. Like both body styles and the fact the 2013 MY will have Sync since I plan on using the car as a DD and track toy.

The 2012 MY car I found, is Competition Orange, and I really like the color but it doesn't have Sync but I'm told they can add Bluetooth. Here in WA handfree is a must!

Really glad I found this forum. Looks like there are plenty of Track Junkies lurking around, so I hope to get some inside info on setting up the car.

As to value between the MY, I don't really care. The order guide I downloaded from this forum, shows Series/Rate as 6% for the Mustang Boss with the 500A package @ 5% and the 501A package @ 1%. Not sure how this translates to numbers to be produced. Don't know what this was for the 2012's or what it really means.

Great Forum, BTW!

Cheers!

Boomer welcome to BMO. I wish my Boss had SYNC but it's not really that big of a deal with the various options available. Although it might be if the proposed NTSB rule goes into effect. The HID's on the 2013 are another nice feature if you drive your car a lot at night. Otherwise you can install some brighter bulbs for $20. I think the numbers for 2013 will be very similar to 2012 with approximately 3,250 Boss and 750 LS cars built.

BTW I've owned close to 10 BT ear buds and speaker phones and recently purchased the Plantronics Voyager Pro Plus. While it's a bit geeky looking (I only use it while driving) it's the best one I've used my a good margin. It pairs well with my iP4.

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/voyager-pro-plus

TMO Supporting Vendors