The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss stock clutch and trans shifting high rpms verse aftermarket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliMR said:
jeepinocala mine is exactly the same with 3rd. Let us know if you do figure it out.

Same here.

I've been lucky to a large degree - no whine, no grinding, no clutch sticking to the floor, shifter is a little notchy but not too bad. However, shifting into 3rd at 7500 rpm is pretty much impossible (no issue with 2nd or 4th) and I have to deliberately make the 2->3 shift early at like 6800 RPM or so. Annoying.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Jeep,

I have the same problem with High RPM shift Balking when the engine and tranny are hot on the track. I am attempting to solve this problem as I also believe it is clutch related. I have changed the clutch to a RAM dual disc but have not had a chance to test it at the track for the following reason. When attempting a shift over 6000 rpm the clutch stays disengaged until the rpm drops to 6000m rpm. The problem with the Ram is not the pedal box, hydraulic system, it is not over centering, it is related to centrifical force at high rpm actually trying to release the clutch. I am in the process of remediation and for now working with my installer, the clutch distributor, and RAM on an acceptable solution. Ultimately I will wind up with a different clutch in the Boss.

Peter

Has anyone fixed this problem in their car? I am considering going to my dealer and making them fix it. I just do not know if the dealer will do it being such a high rpm?

Ok so I just removed that giant spring that in my opinion was really STUPID of an idea after thinking I need someone to hold down the clutch pedal so I could pull out the pin crap I held it down with my hand with ease way to easy to push the pedal I believe I could have push it in and held it down with two fingers pretty sad. Well it came out pretty easy so I am looking forward to trying that one out.

I'm still having the same problem as well. I took it to the dealer and was told by FORD, not the dealer its normal operation. With so many folks having this problem I decided not to press Ford for a new clutch. Why, I believe the clutch/pressure plate are the weak links and letting FORD install OEM parts isn't going to fix the problem. Now I'm waiting for someone to find a clutch that works as I can't afford to use my wallet to buy test parts.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
HackBoss302 said:
I'm still having the same problem as well. I took it to the dealer and was told by FORD, not the dealer its normal operation. With so many folks having this problem I decided not to press Ford for a new clutch. Why, I believe the clutch/pressure plate are the weak links and letting FORD install OEM parts isn't going to fix the problem. Now I'm waiting for someone to find a clutch that works as I can't afford to use my wallet to buy test parts.
When mine is due for one I will let you know. I plan to go with the Centerforce DYAD

OK talked to my dealer he is contacting ford something I should have mentioned a while back that this car had no problem shifting while bouncing off the rev limiter with the track key when I had it installed. That day the track key was installed I tried it out ;D real good but if it does not shift now bouncing off the rev with the track kety then it is going back for warrantee work for damn sure.

I'm curious why are you bouncing off the rev limiter before you shift? The rev limiter is not a shift light, it's simply a fail/safe to prevent engine damage. The idea is to rev up to/near 7500 then shift before you get there. If you look at the power band on the car it's already dropping at 7500 so there's really no gain to stay up that high without shifting.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Let me make a general comment here guys, and this is only me speaking. Anyone who makes comments about any specific design of this vehicle based solely on their experiences with their vehicle is either speaking solely out of fustration or is just clueless. I am the last one to say that every inch of the Boss is built bullet proof and will last 250K miles, but making comments about poor design or implementation should be made with care. There are people with all sorts of backgrounds on this site with varying amounts of motorsports knowledge. You can do more harm than good by making statements that in fact I'm sure Ford engineers could debate intelligently if they were present. I suggest you report, without all the who-ha and emotions, and accurately, what actually is, and leave the comments to what sucks and what doesn't suck out of the equation unless you really know what the heck you are talking about. Obviously, some of us do not.

I took the liberty of removing my last post since it offended a few members I will continue this post after trying the car out with the track key and go from there. As for the spring being such a strong problem for me to the point of making that last post well I am pretty bad of writting when I am pissed but now that we are talking of design lets start a new post of that particular spring.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel