The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 2012 GT Street/AutoX build Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I went threw and upgraded the timing chain tensioners to the boss 302 ones and installed the MMR oil pump gear with a new oil pump, and I Also installed LTH long Tube headers. other mods to the motor at the same time was a oil catch can and a tune but I haven't upgraded the intake which is next on my list.

IMG_3680.JPG

IMG_3687.JPG

Well my build thread has been kind of dead, I always forget to take before and after pictures and document what I have been doing with the car. So here’s my attempt to be better at it!

first let’s start off with I only managed to do 4 autocross events last year and no track days due to my wife and I selling our first home and moving to our second! So not a lot of race car stuff happened but this year I have a lot planned so I will post with results and updates to the car as the racing season is about to start!
IMG_7398.jpeg

This winter I managed to pick up a couple of upgrades for the car! Managed to get a ford racing tow point setup for the car cheap and a set of seats and harnesses and harness bar used for a decent price. Also threw in a new set of EBC blue stuff pads in the front.
IMG_6022.jpeg
IMG_5994.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good! Excuse my ignorance, but is that toe-in or toe-out? Those alignment specs look the same as what I have but the alignment is toe-out.

Also congrats on the house. I'm about to close on my first.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Congrats on the new home and now you need to update your pics and more by making it to the Solo Nationals in Lincoln , Ne. this September. Drop me a note so I can help you with any logistics, like where the fun parties may pop up, ha!

Looks good! Excuse my ignorance, but is that toe-in or toe-out? Those alignment specs look the same as what I have but the alignment is toe-out.

Also congrats on the house. I'm about to close on my first.

I do have the Toe set to be Toe'ed in (positive numbers for toe mean toe in and negative numbers mean toe out) I have it setup for two reasons. One is the roads up here in Northern Michigan are Rough and with it still being somewhat of a street car it was for drivability. and Second the way I think about it for turn in and our cars having the tie rods in the front of the wheels, When the suspension compresses it makes the toe move out and the tire with the most load (outside Tire) will be pointing into the corner more. I don't now if that's the Right way to think about it but that's how it makes sense to me.

Congrats on the new home and now you need to update your pics and more by making it to the Solo Nationals in Lincoln , Ne. this September. Drop me a note so I can help you with any logistics, like where the fun parties may pop up, ha!

Thank you! and I would love too go to Solo nationals. It really just depends on my budget later in the year, my Wife is training to compete in the Chicago Marathon in October so it really just depends. but I will for sure Message you to get more info!

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I think part of the idea of using a little toe-out, especially for autocross, is to create increased Ackerman across the front axle - the inside tire needs to turn a tighter circle when cornering, and using static toe-out creates more of that affect for the tight turns seen in autocross. It may help turn-in feel as well.

Those belts look pretty sun-faded. If you're just using them for better support in autocross, they're probably okay, but check the certification dates on them in any case. I'd be wary of using them on track, as UV exposure degrades their strength.

I think part of the idea of using a little toe-out, especially for autocross, is to create increased Ackerman across the front axle - the inside tire needs to turn a tighter circle when cornering, and using static toe-out creates more of that affect for the tight turns seen in autocross. It may help turn-in feel as well.

Those belts look pretty sun-faded. If you're just using them for better support in autocross, they're probably okay, but check the certification dates on them in any case. I'd be wary of using them on track, as UV exposure degrades their strength.
That would make sense for the need for Toe out vs Toe in, I will play with it this year and see what works best. one of the bonuses of having a alignment rack at work! Unlimited alignments!!! lol
as for the harnesses they are defiantly outdated and worn. I plan on replacing mid season or next winter, it was a packaged deal for everything and I don't track the car much so they will be good for autocross. I did leave the stock belts in the car so I have those if needed

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel