The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Hood Graphic warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Yesterday I did a quick detail on the boss. Started with clay bar then moved on to just Adams White polish and micrfiber pad. It was going great. I passed over the hood decal. I made a rookie mistake and let the pad ride dead center on the decal at the small crown in the hood. Well this was enough to heat it up that the ink they use to print the graphic wore down to the white with brown around it. I will post a pic later today.

The lesson I was reminded of was dont hang out on edges!!

I did go ahead and finish the car and followed it up with Adams brillant glaze then topped with Adams Patriot wax. Overall I spent 7 hours on it. Still have to finish up with the exterior plastics. The 22PLE coating is going strong still looks great. I am just going to give a new product a try on the parts that I have put on since the 22PLE coating on the rest.

Side note I am going to take it to the dealer and see if they will replace the hood decal under warranty without telling them how it happened just that I was washing it and it did that :)

Justin

1376980_666241273408447_674954230_n.jpg

Ugh...well good luck at the dealer, hope they will replace it. I guess it's a tad thin on the ink. Did you ever put a wax or polish on the decal prior? Would have been nice if the decal was on under a clear coat.

Chris

Justin

Noellenchris said:
Ugh...well good luck at the dealer, hope they will replace it. I guess it's a tad thin on the ink. Did you ever put a wax or polish on the decal prior? Would have been nice if the decal was on under a clear coat.

Chris
well I have put a lot of things on it. 20+ coats of Zanio, 7-8 layers of adams brillant glaze, 15 or so coats of wax, a layer of 22PLE.

This would make the third time I polished it to remove swirls/bird bomb stains. I think the problem is with it being all focused into that one spot it got to warm and the ink turned back to liquid.

I have found a replacement on ebay that from other forums is just like the factory one for 44 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150609521546?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

TMSBOSS said:
I have considered having the hood decal replaced with paint, then cleared over the entire hood.

If Ford denies your claim, this could be a good permanent solution.
funny you say that because I was going to do that last year. I gave a "friend" that works at a body shop a 200 dollar deposit on doing it. at the time I had two cars so leaving it with him would have been no problem. then my other car broke down hard. no longer had a way to get to work while it was getting painted. I asked for my money back. For over 13 months he said oh yeah come by next week I will have it....etc etc then when I threw in the towel on getting my money back was when he said look its been over a year I have that money tied up in the stuff I bought to do your car. I dont give refunds after a month....needless to say he is no longer considered a friend.

So yes I would like to do that but I dont have another car to get by with.

The other option I am thinking of doing is peeling off the decal. Then getting a hood scoop that was an option on the GT's and having it painted black and put that on. I dont think the Boss hood is any different then a GT hood so I would be able to get a replacement hood easy enough if I wanted to convert it to stock.

Justin

ehh I just dont like that look. to much white. I think this http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-painted-hoodscoop-1011.html#BVRRWidgetID in black in place of the decal would look pretty good.

Justin said:
I think this http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-painted-hoodscoop-1011.html#BVRRWidgetID in black in place of the decal would look pretty good.

will look good too i think and different which i like

kind of a boss 429 look

i actually ponder that look on my white 12

Justin

I like that too. the thing is I want to do something that wont require a paint shop as I cant do with the down time of the car. The hood scoop would be the easiest route for me as I can do that myself in the garage.

BLAZN BOSS

wow , tough luck.........i just priced that decal............over the counter normal cost is just over 400. My cost is just over 300.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Justin said:
ehh I just dont like that look. to much white. I think this http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-painted-hoodscoop-1011.html#BVRRWidgetID in black in place of the decal would look pretty good.

Blasphemy. Serves zero functional purpose. Not a Boss type part.

Justin

four-walling said:
Just as functional as the paint that covers the car.
there is paint under them so they aren't needed they are for looks as would be a hood scoop. Doesn't matter I'm not a "there's a radio in the car" kind of boss owner. I haven't liked having the decals on the car since I bought it wish they were painted on. One I can't afford to do that nor can I afford to be without the car during the week. So buying a prepainted part that I can install in an hour for less then a factory decal really appeals to me. That and it would be paint which doesn't swirl with just a stiff breeze blowing on it.

Justin

BLAZN BOSS said:
wow , tough luck.........i just priced that decal............over the counter normal cost is just over 400. My cost is just over 300.
found it on tousley for 264.27
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/parts/2012/FORD/Mustang/Boss%20302?siteid=214771&vehicleid=376125&diagram=JC10865&diagramCallOut=2

Justin

took it to the dealer last week and ford approved it to be replaced under warranty :) waiting for the service rep to schedule an appointment to install it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel